staying awake

Guest ktj_sbs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest maintaining a low level of tipsy throughout the day, don't forget to eat (nothing too stodgy, as said earlier), and plenty of sugary sweets. We always take a couple of bags of lollies with us. And have a little sit down to rest your legs when you can too.

Personally I prefer the illegal method of awakeness, but i was preparing for surgery last weekend so not drinking, and managed to stay up til 3am fri/sat nights just by drinking coke!

Theres a trick to "power napping" that i find works when driving long distances.

once you are tired and just before you fall a sleep take some pro plus then set the alarm for half an hour or so. you will fall a sleep as the caffine takes a while to kick in. once you wake up though you will be wide awake and ready to go........ works for me every time and i`ve been doing for a few years.

Try complex carbs (wholewheat/wholegrain/oats) in place of simple carbs (white bread/chips/cake), eat small every 3 hours. Better nutrition will lead to more sustained energy.

Simple carbs cause your blood sugar level to peak and then pretty quickly crash leaving you feeling tired and your body craving sugar. Complex carbs do not spike the blood sugar level and give energy at a more consistant rate leaving you energized all day if you keep topping up.

Each small meal should roughly contain 40% carbs (complex) / 40% protein (meat/fish etc) and 20% fat. For example a chickpea based falafel in a wholemeal wrap would be a perfect small meal that is nutritionally balanced.

As for alcohol I drink cider or continental beer pretty much all day from when I wake up. I switch to spirits after dark and that gives me a nice boost going into the night.

Almonds help you to maintain a steady blood sugar level through the day and will stop you from crashing outright.

Staying hydrated will also help.

Also, this might just be me, but I've noticed that I often mistake feeling cold for feeling tired. It's amazing how much longer I can last when I add a layer.

A great way of staying awake without using illegal substances is to take a homebrew ECA stack. (Ephedrine:Caffeine:Aspirin - all available at your local chemist) This stuff can get you through the 5 days of glasto with your total sleep time in the single digits. Been using this stuff on and off for years and i swear by it, although its not for people with existing heart conditions!

This website http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/losing-weight/140702-eca-comprehensive-guide.html gives a great rundown on the specifics. Its aimed at atheletes/bobybuilders but the effects could be custom made for Glasto-goers.

Just fall asleep when you want during the day. In the past this has led to:

Having a nap on Thursday evening before Beardyman and waking up after killing Michael Jackson... Tough few hours that.

Falling asleep in a tent near the park and waking up to a gig which was awesome... Dan Mangan and I will remember to this day!

There is nothing wrong with any of this... Embrace the sleep then get on with your day.

One of the nice things about sleeping at some point during the day is just how bleary and muggy you feel when you wake up. Everything feels hyperreal - it's a great frame of mind in which to watch some bands.

I've never done it at Glastonbury, but I did it at my first ever festival. Leeds 2005. I fell asleep during Engineers, woke up halfway through Adam Green in time for Echo & The Bunnymen. I felt wonderful.

you should try taking the kids.... My wife usually retreats to bed with them at midnight ish and I stagger in at around 7am. Then due the 'deal' we make she gets to be kid free all morning and I have to go to Circus field and play being 8 yrs old with a hangover and 1 hrs sleep... Multiply this by five days as I just can't 'go to bed early' and I'm foobarr'd

Looking up ECA stack now

Tea and big sips from a hip flask of Amaretto/D'Isarrano keeps me going from 10 to 3 a.m. or so - and some sort of energy bars stuffed in my bag for emergencies. Eat whatever/whenever else I fancy it - there's great food to be found everywhere, and a half hour kip mid/late afternoon depending on what's on. The magic of Glastonbury keeps me on the biggest high - don't want to miss anything by being comatose in a corner - and my worst fear is spending the night with my head hanging over a long drop toilet seat... :fie:

You could spend every waking moment reminding yourself that you're one paycheck away from destitution and that there's not enough food for everyone. That usually guarantees a sleepless night.

A typical day for me is to get up really slowly late morning/ lunchtime and drink two large bottles of water. Stay tipsy until early evening when you get stuck in the pen in front of the pyramid and cant go for a pee. End up stone sober at midnight and head to the Brothers Bar for four. All night in the naughty corner and I love watching the sun come up over Glastonbury. I mean actually seeing the sun rise over Pilton! Brilliant!