Dexys Midnight Runners

Guest ads1980

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them last night at Duke of Yorks' in London. Magnificent. One of the best gigs I've ever seen. All the new album, in sequence, then a few old hits. The new album is as good as anything they've done.

I love how people have come into a thread entitled "Dexy's Midnight Runners" just to let us all know how little they think of their most popular song. That's time well spent, isn't it? Still. Those post counts won't raise themselves.

For what it's worth, Come On Eileen is a four and a half minute cut from a truly glittering career. It's not quite unrepresentative of the rest of their material, but to write-off the music of Kevin Rowlands based on but one single would be to deny yourself the considerable pleasure of enjoying one of the most consistently brilliant songwriters to have ever songwritten.

I love Too RYe Ay and I still think Eileen would be a brilliant song to play in the glorious afternoon sunshine (fingers cross on the sunshine) just because of how popular it is. I love the rest of their stuff too but I only picked that one song because I think it would go down well.

Giving an opinion about what is by far and away most famous song from the thread title's back catalogue.. what's wrong with that exactly? Not sure what point you're making about post counts..

Didn't describe it as 'badly written' exactly, I wrote that it may be the worst song ever written. There are plenty of well written god awful songs, why do you think One Direction etc are so popular?

I refuse to believe that there is anyone that hears that song at a wedding and doesn't think 'Oh Christ, not that one', but dances and sings along to it like a mentalist anyway cos they're too pissed.

In which case of course they are perfect for Glastonbury. (But still dire)