Windoze 7 newbie help

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because they are default doesn't mean anything was going around. The best thing about Windows is you can reconfigure it...

The point is that I shouldn't have to. Windows should not be by-default blocking the person using it from mapping drives to network servers. The very purpose of logins is to handle the necessary security, but windows is saying anything but a windows login is inferior.

Edited by eFestivals

Says who ?

It seems to me that adding Windows shares should be available by default, and I am 99% sure it is, anything else is obviously up to you to configure...

a 'samba' drive is no different to any windows share.

However, windows doesn't like it if (I think) the login being used for those windows shares uses different login details to the user who is accessing those drives from a windoze 7 machine.

Which is just fucking stupid. The user decides their own login details, not Bill in Seatle.

Edited by eFestivals

I'm amazed people queued for Windows 8 on release. I do think every Windows version has come with significant improvements (even Vista, which was a better OS than XP, just had some UI changes and was incredibly bloated), but there's always problems which don't seem to get fully ironed out until SP1. I'll be amazed if that's not true of 8 as much as it has been of previous versions.

I've been using 8 through the beta for a few months, I have to confess I don't bother with any of the metro apps (since they don't like the resolution of my main display). I'll likely pay good money for a license for 8, since I haven't paid for an ms OS in over a decade, I figure it's time to give something back :P

Windows 8 license is cheap anyway...

yup - 15 quid for an upgrade from windows 7 I've seen.

But that's because this is win or die for microsoft. If win8 doesn't take off - and it's not going to be quick to take off, because it's not really suitable for mass office environments (which has been the biggest driver for windows and its applications sales) - then everythng microsoft is going to end up becmoing an irrelevance.

That's not me saying that the direction windows has taken is a bad move (only time will tell) - but it's definitely a brave move.

£24.99 is the cheapest I've seen, where did you see 15?

Amusingly, the link in the beta to sell me a product key is broken, so I can't just auto-license my OS. I'm pretty sure that once I purchase a key it will be a doddle to overlay.

I agree with what mr eFests is saying both about enterprise uptake and 8 being a bold and not necessarily bad move. This OS is unashamedly for home users and that is not a bad thing, imo. Recognising that business users want to change OS less frequently than students change their sheets is sensible, imo.

My friends in IT departments are moaning about it but they have little say to be frank and only moan because its new. Long gone are the days geeks in an IT department make decisions and long gone are the days when IT got excited about something new, Users drive everything now and I people in the business side of things are already seeing huge potential.

I see you've never worked for/at a blue chip.

giving you push notifications on key business data as a OS default feature will be big,

yep, so Microsoft said before they released Windows '95. :lol:

Seriously, they did! So where is it?

Worked for two blue chips.... Wouldn't want to again though.

you didn't work at them long enough to know how they work then, as your words made clear.

I have no idea what you are on about. I don't care about what Microsoft said, or says, to be frank...

Microsoft pushed Windows 95 to businesses on the basis of how much push technology would benefit them. It didn't.

It's not going to be the great shakes you claim for it now either - tho it's going to have more impact and use now. It's a little bit better than the empty marketing sprurge for win95, but not massively.

Edited by eFestivals

I don't hate windows. I never have. You're simply unable to differentiate between fair comment and critiscim and your warped brain.

The push technology in windows8 is nothing new. So the push technology in windows8 will not define whether windows8 is deemed a success or failure.

If mangers need by-the-second data, they're not managing.