• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Vampire Weekend came out on Monday, I got it yesterday and have so far listened to it 4 times in 2 days, it's ridiculously good. It's really about the lyrics though - it's the first album in a long time that has made me want to look up the lyrics and figure out all Ezra's little metaphors and references (of which there are hundreds).

It's actually a really depressing album, about death, fear of God and the pointlessness of life. Not what I expected from them (and not what it sounds like). Probably my favourite album of the year so far.

Other good ones for me this year have been

James Blake - Overgrown

Savages - Silence Yourself

Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze

Bowie - Next Day

MBV

Edited by dancelittleliar

Friday Main:

Arcade Fire

Queens of the Stone Age

The Maccabees

Tame Impala

Cage the elephant

Mystery Jets

NME:

Crystal Castles

Kendrick Lamar

SBTRKT

Everything Everything

Saturday Main:

The Black Keys

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Wu-Tang Clan

The Hives

Django Django

NME:

Frank Ocean

The 1975

Sunday Main:

The Stone Roses

Jack White

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Jessie Ware

Miles Kane

Lucy Rose

Nme:

Shikari

All time Low

Pretty stupid, would make me happy...

I've just realised most albums I've heard this year have been 'okay' to 'very good'.

Who have put out bad albums this year? As in compared to the rest of an artist's stuff, so Palma Violets and Paramore don't count.

I can only think of [in my opinion] The Joy Formidable and Daft Punk.

Friday Main:

Arcade Fire

Queens of the Stone Age

The Maccabees

Tame Impala

Cage the elephant

Mystery Jets

NME:

Crystal Castles

Kendrick Lamar

SBTRKT

Everything Everything

Saturday Main:

The Black Keys

Vampire Weekend

Bloc Party

Wu-Tang Clan

The Hives

Django Django

NME:

Frank Ocean

The 1975

Sunday Main:

The Stone Roses

Jack White

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Jessie Ware

Miles Kane

Lucy Rose

Nme:

Shikari

All time Low

Pretty stupid, would make me happy...

Thats an odd selection of headliners, think Arcade Fire will headline Glasto or IOW myself.

I've just realised most albums I've heard this year have been 'okay' to 'very good'.

Who have put out bad albums this year? As in compared to the rest of an artist's stuff, so Palma Violets and Paramore don't count.

Bastard!

I didn't really like Peace's album other than a few songs on it.

Bastille has a pretty weak album imo.

Frank Turners has seem to pass everyone by on these forums which is surprising. I think it was number 1 in the album charts for a week..

Interesting on all the daft punk hate - I haven't listened to it yet so can't comment till my pre order comes, but critically it's been extremely well received (89 on metacritic) with 5*s from Q and 10/10 from NME etc.

Noah and the Whale was pretty awful, Frank Turner wasn't as good as previous (but not bad I suppose)

I suppose Johnny Marr was pretty bad, and YYYs wasn't great

I loved Daft Punk as well :P

It's a pretty unconventional album though, so I can see why it's quite divisive. It's not their best work at all, and it was always going to be overhyped (and overrated by critics), but it's a very solid attempt at its just sooooo funky & disco-y. I listened to it in the sun today & it was even better.

The hype for Daft Punk at the moment is absolute madness though, they reckon it's going to break all UK records on its first day of selling. I didn't realise how big they were beyond these forums where a number of people called for them to headline particular festivals every year.

I honestly think that they've marketed and advertised this album so well that it's hyped people up a ridiculous amount so they think they can do no wrong. I was so disappointed with the album and Get Lucky is the only track i really remember much about, other than that Giorgio one which i only remember because i thought the first half was a commentary i'd accidentally downloaded.

I liked The Messenger and Mosquito.

Really don't understand how RAM can get top marks, fair enough if the reviewers gave it better marks than it deserved but an 8 or 9 out of 10 would suffice. Seems like Daft Punk are untouchable, or maybe we're just not disco people? It's not terrible but it was the bar was set so high, it was the like the third coming.

I've almost been looking forward to Pitchfork's review of it more than the album itself recently, it'll either be a 10.0 or <6.0.

I think the new Vampire weekend album is fantastic, have found some of their stuff very irritating previously but this new tone they've followed, while perhaps more sombre, seems to have just hit the middle ground for me. It's very laid back and relaxed for the most part, songs like Ya Hay and Step are their best as far as I'm concerned, really enjoying the feel of it.

Their marketing team does deserve a large wedge of the profits. Brilliant job on that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks the records - Get Lucky will probably end up No1 for 5-6 weeks, maybe even longer

Despite the negativity I'm still ridiculously excited for playing it for the first time. Advertising works...

Favourite albums for me so far this year in order, probably..

...Like Clockwork

Tape Deck Heart

Opposites

Random Access Memories

The Next Day

Indicud

Holy Fire

WOLF

Some Say I So I Say Light

Sempiternal

Overgrown

Listening to Vampire Weekend album now, still need to listen to Primal Scream and MBV's