Ben & Jerry's Sundae Festival.

Guest WorkingClassPrincess

Hey all,

I am seriously thinking of going to B&J Sundae Festival later on this month (in Manchester). Without going into too much detail, I suffer with health anxiety and wanted to start off with a small festival before moving onto the bigger ones.

If I do go I will most probably take my 2 year old son. I have looked on the website and it actually seems more for kids than for adults. I've done a lot of looking into it and am very pleased with the kids activities, FREE ice cream and OCS performing. It seems really perfect for me but I wanted to know if it *is* as good as it seems and could you if possible go into details about the different activities there.

Thanks, J

Hi, went to the one in London last year (you are aware that this is the first time it's been held in Manchester?) and I'd say it's perfect for you.

While I wouldn't say it's tiny, it's not exactly crowded and TBH I prob wouldn't go again because I found it a bit tame. Even during Doves (the headliners) we went to the front and there was only one group of about five people who were doing anything other than watching politely while tapping their feet. While I didn't look into the family side of things, there seemed to be a lot of options of that kind around the site (free ice cream and characters walking around in cartoon character style outfits and so on).

It was a very relaxed so I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I'm taking the Wife and boy (8yrs) to London to see OCS and the free ice cream :)

Its a chance for the wife to see what a festival is about, her main phobia will be the toilets. So if she does not like these then the larger festivals with be a big no for her

Although after seeing the Foos at MK Bowl on sunday this will seem like a village fete :lol:

Learn from my example.

do not spend all day eating icecream then go and buy a fizzy alcoholic during in the evening! :unsure:

You will not feel very well at all :wacko:

It was only one rum and coke, but my god did I feel ill during the doves. :(

Yes it is sedate, and really aimed at families with kids.

I'd venture, it would be quite civilised if you could take a picnic hamper of goodies in with you.

Edited by HurrahBrother

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give me a rough idea of what the stage times are likely to be? I want to see Fun Lovin' Criminals, Ash & Ocean Colour Scene. When are they likely to be on? I presume they'll all be on the same stage?

I heard it finishes at about 8pm, and I'm just wondering if I can get over to High Voltage Festival in Victoria Park afterwards to see Slash. MIght have to miss OCS.

I'm a little bit worried as the tickets say they are non-transferable and we have just phoned the enquiries line and they told us you will have to have proof of ID that matches the name on the ticket or you must be with the person that bought them - otherwise they will refuse entry! This seems a bit ridiculous as I bought my ticket from my friend who can no longer go...surely they will not be able to enforce this on 25,000 people? Any one go last year with this kind of situation?

I'm a little bit worried as the tickets say they are non-transferable and we have just phoned the enquiries line and they told us you will have to have proof of ID that matches the name on the ticket or you must be with the person that bought them - otherwise they will refuse entry! This seems a bit ridiculous as I bought my ticket from my friend who can no longer go...surely they will not be able to enforce this on 25,000 people? Any one go last year with this kind of situation?

have to forgive me but never been on one of these things in my life ! just wondering if you can take a picnic and alcohol into this festival as me and a couple of friends plus wifes going to the sunday ? wouldn't like to take some and end up chucking it away outside

What a weird festival. More like a village fete with relatively big acts playing. I enjoyed it but not sure I'll go again. I knew it finished at 8, but it was still really strange when it happened, that's when others usually get going! Had five free ice creams so it was good value all in all.

Well I went to both days in Manchester and LOVED it. Yesterday went without baby and today took 14 month old. Different experiences but both good.

Very well organised, extremely family friendly, Could not believe the set up for the ice cream!! Unbelieveable I knew it was all you can eat but had not realised quite how it would work etc.

Yesterday was a lot quieter than today - really hope it is held in Manchester again next year.

Yes it was tame compared to other gigs/festivals but that was what was so nice about it.

Edited by Cactusgirl

i worked at this festival on the bar at heaton park and it was great. the weather, the ice cream, the family atmosphere.

the only thing that i don't like for me is the sound quality. it was the same a few years ago for the oasis gigs, its just not right. the sounds seems to swirl around in the air and if your not right at the front it can be slightly poor. if i compared it to the likes of reading or hop farm (i understand they have been going allot longer) it needs some improvement, especially with the local council now planing to do allot more of these type's of festivals and one day gigs in heaton park.

i worked at this festival on the bar at heaton park and it was great. the weather, the ice cream, the family atmosphere.

the only thing that i don't like for me is the sound quality. it was the same a few years ago for the oasis gigs, its just not right. the sounds seems to swirl around in the air and if your not right at the front it can be slightly poor. if i compared it to the likes of reading or hop farm (i understand they have been going allot longer) it needs some improvement, especially with the local council now planing to do allot more of these type's of festivals and one day gigs in heaton park.

its seen as a family day out i suppose. allot of people who when might of not been to an outdoor gig or even a gig before. possibly the only reason they when is because of the family friendly soundings. im not sure how overly important the music quality is to allot of the people who when.

if heaton park are to get more serious about holding major outdoor events they need to sort the sound out, maybe change location to further in the park, maybe invest in better sound equipment or maybe both. i think something needs to change.

Edited by onemangang