Capacity increase

Guest iamandrew

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No!

There seems to be convincing information that the TOTAL number of attendees, including staff, performers etc is around 8500. This is believed to be an increase of 'only' around 1500 on last year's figure which is quoted as around 7000.

The issue has been, and continues to be, discussed fairly extensively in other threads on the forum. Have a quick scroll through the topics on the first page or two of the Forum thread list and you'll find plenty of healthy 'debate'!

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

I think that you will find that once the numbers of tickets went above 8-8.5k they have had to increase the festival site and stages to conform with their licence agreement. That would account for the fact that we do not know where the new stage is going to be as it is still being finalised. Had the fest only sold 8,000 tickets we would still have thought it had sold out but the layout could have remained the same! If there are 8.5k tickets then staff, stewards and stallholders and performers then it will be near to 10k

It seems a huge amount but then the numbers have been increasing slowly anyway since 2007, its not like its gone and doubled in one year!!! :)

I think that you will find that once the numbers of tickets went above 8-8.5k they have had to increase the festival site and stages to conform with their licence agreement. That would account for the fact that we do not know where the new stage is going to be as it is still being finalised. Had the fest only sold 8,000 tickets we would still have thought it had sold out but the layout could have remained the same! If there are 8.5k tickets then staff, stewards and stallholders and performers then it will be near to 10k

It seems a huge amount but then the numbers have been increasing slowly anyway since 2007, its not like its gone and doubled in one year!!! :)

link to google maps photo of the larmer tree gardens.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Larmer+Tree+Gardens,+Salisbury&hl=en&ll=50.950736,-2.079817&spn=0.004474,0.009645&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=17.885114,39.506836&t=h&z=17

the only area of open ground within the woods is where garden stage has been - that's where the white square structure with 3 white dots below it is on the linked view towards the top left.

there is no other space within this wooded area at all. but there are options at the edge of woods in various directions. eg

all the way through woods to the north

to the extreme east (right) where there is an area surrounded by wood (with road name half hide down on road aboive it)

or south (bottom) to the wood beyound the buildings at the entrance

I also found the following paragraph in the licencing application heard on 11 Jan 2011:-

The layout of the stages will be dependant on the number of tickets sold, with one layout being used if less that 8000 ticket sales are sold and another layout being used if more than 8000 tickets are sold.

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media.jsp?mediaid=158795&filetype=pdf

But couldn't find a link to any appendices that might have contained the alternative site layout

It's got to be straight through the woods to the North....massive big empty space and would be back to back with the Garden stage. And there's a sort of semi-circle at the entrance to that area....dont I recall something about a mystery "semi-circle" bar????

And anyone worried that's too far.....look at the map closely....the current distance between the Garden Stage and where the Big Top currently sits.....that's more or less the same distance as from the garden to that space.

Also, if there's another way through....(sort of dusty crossroads to the right of the way through to the Garden?)....then distances to Tipi and Big Top wont be bad either.

I think it'll be great.

I really hope the more optimistic people here are right, but I'm yet to be convinced. Didn't I see it mentioned somewhere that people have tickets numbered well past 8,500? <_<

It'd be nice if someone involved with the organisation would provide some feedback on all the increased capacity concerns because I've seen it being discussed in so many places and not often in a good way....anyone?

Ah thanks. I posted something elsewhere, that there is a tkt for sale on ebay no 8906, and thanks IJ cos I too wondered if they started at 1000. But they don't!

The people, the bands and the lovely setting make EoTR special. But the size of the fest was also an important factor for me. It was size that made EoTR first choice over other fests! Oh this is just me having a bit of a sulk, am sure its going to be fine when we get there

Seadragon we must arrange to meet for a drink

Edited by bennyhana22

Is this an official forum-geeks-meet?

Fat Buddha - you joining us for a drink? we will form our own little group of specialness

For those of you wondering what we all look like... I am small, blonde, blue eyed and 25 - I will be disguised as an older person

Edited by perfectpassion