The Streets

Guest thesecretingredientiscrime

Skinner's said there'll be no more records released under the name The Streets and live performances will stop later on this summer, so it'll be the end of a British institution.

Original Pirate Material is, imo, one of the defining records of the past decade, and one of the best debut records.

Obviously they've played Glasto a few times, surely they must be in the running for one last performance? Very unlikely, but I'd love either a Glasto slot of Original Pirate Material all the way through, or a one-off gig. Any appearence would be appreciated, not had the chance to see them yet.

Last time they played, they subbed West Holts. I could easily see them headlining either that or JPT this time round. However, as it'll be a special occasion as their last appearence at Glasto, maybe Glasto will put them higher? They're subbing to The Chemical Brothers at Wireless, so could they sub to them on Other Stage? Reckon they'd draw a decent crowd.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started a thread or two about this in the last few weeks.

Essentially, yeah, I'll be surprised if he's not at Glastonbury. He gave an interview back in Jan where he talked about doing summer festivals.

The only thing that confuses me is that each album since the first has sold fewer and fewer copies, the last 3 have really crashed and burned. So I'm not sure where he'd play. I suggested JP too, but don't know

Fortunately he has some self respect and dignity as an artist left so won't be just playing OPM all the way through.

Really hope he does play, and reckon it's likely

The only thing that confuses me is that each album since the first has sold fewer and fewer copies, the last 3 have really crashed and burned. So I'm not sure where he'd play. I suggested JP too, but don't know

Just looked now on Wikipedia and didn't realise there had been 3 albums since A Grand Don't Come For Free (I thought you'd included that in the crashing and burning).

It did remind me though that his version of Your Song on the Radio 1 album was brilliant for being comically terrible.

The new album's alright, about 60% really good tracks and 40% pretty terrible stinkers

I reckon if you cherry picked the best bits of the last 3, there's probably one decentish 10 song album to made from them.

tbh when OPM came out, it was new and exciting and pretty hard to top, which imo they haven't. All subsequent albums have been nothing new, they haven't reinvented themselves, so popularity has wained. Would still love to see them live though, purely for Blinded By The Lights and Dry Your Eyes Mate!

tbh when OPM came out, it was new and exciting and pretty hard to top, which imo they haven't. All subsequent albums have been nothing new, they haven't reinvented themselves, so popularity has wained. Would still love to see them live though, purely for Blinded By The Lights and Dry Your Eyes Mate!

I saw them on Thursday in Manchester and was blown away. Shamefully this is the first I've ever go to seem them, when he kept saying how he wasn't going to to play Manchester again, it made me truly sad. I think he is an incredible musical talent, an honestly think his latest album is the best since Original Pirate Material.

If he plays Glasto I would definitely go and see them, regardless of who they clash with. I was told though he was confirmed at Benicassim? Does that make it unlikely?

The setlist from leeds

Outside Inside (Intro)

Trust Me

Don't Mug Yourself

Let's Push Things Forward

Puzzled By People

ABC

The Escapist

OMG

Everything is Borrowed

Weak Become Heroes

It's Too Late

We Can Never Be Friends

Soldiers

Blinded By The Lights

Never Went To Church

Heaven For The Weather

Dry Your Eyes

Turn The Page

Fit But You Know It

Going Through Hell

It looks packed with new stuff but it didnt seem it on the night, only song missing for me was "prangin out" (which is a gem IMHO). Going Through Hell was amazing end to the night, brilliant live :)

and I agree with Mardy, OPM is a great album, but the second album is better, after that you really have to cherry pick

The setlist from leeds

Outside Inside (Intro)

Trust Me

Don't Mug Yourself

Let's Push Things Forward

Puzzled By People

ABC

The Escapist

OMG

Everything is Borrowed

Weak Become Heroes

It's Too Late

We Can Never Be Friends

Soldiers

Blinded By The Lights

Never Went To Church

Heaven For The Weather

Dry Your Eyes

Turn The Page

Fit But You Know It

Going Through Hell

It looks packed with new stuff but it didnt seem it on the night, only song missing for me was "prangin out" (which is a gem IMHO). Going Through Hell was amazing end to the night, brilliant live :)

and I agree with Mardy, OPM is a great album, but the second album is better, after that you really have to cherry pick