NME HEADLINERS?

Guest joerules121!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulp would headline the main stage, not be 2nd headliners or headline the nme tent. They were more popular in the uk than blink 182. To lump them in with faith no more is silly, as well as being one of the iconic bands of their era, they had the mainstream success to back it up and also have a fesitval headlining pedigree.

Think John Giddings made them co-headliners, probably just so they play. Maybe they'll co-headline sub with Strokes. Or headline, I don't mind, I'd happily see them headline.

Although they're only headlining Wireless, which was headlined by LCD soundsystem, Jay-z and pink. So its not really major headliners (other than Jay-z) so reckon PULP could sub.

Edited by Joe-

Think John Giddings made them co-headliners, probably just so they play. Maybe they'll co-headline sub with Strokes. Or headline, I don't mind, I'd happily see them headline.

Although they're only headlining Wireless, which was headlined by LCD soundsystem, Jay-z and pink. So its not really major headliners (other than Jay-z) so reckon PULP could sub.

Edited by jump

To me pulp are the same sort of booking as libertines. To have them headline would be risky, as a large proportion of the reading/leeds audience are 17/18 and won't have heard much of pulp, other than common people and maybe one or two mroe. However, their reputation will mean they draw a big crowd and if they get it right, will be one of the bands of the weekend... So they will probably be in the same position as libertines, special guests (as rexclark said ;) )

To me pulp are the same sort of booking as libertines. To have them headline would be risky, as a large proportion of the reading/leeds audience are 17/18 and won't have heard much of pulp, other than common people and maybe one or two mroe. However, their reputation will mean they draw a big crowd and if they get it right, will be one of the bands of the weekend... So they will probably be in the same position as libertines, special guests (as rexclark said ;) )

Pulp will sub and easily. IOW can throw up pretty week headliners but also has the ability to throw up heavyweights. This been their 10th one, you should be able to easily see they've gone for 3 big headliners and that’s why Pulp aren't the last one on. Just cause it isn't as big as R+L doesn't mean that they can't throw money at acts to play.

I think Neil said something about them paying Pulp one of their largest payouts to get them to play and that will be why they're playing second I'd say. Now on Absolute Radio which is a official partner I think, they've been advertising tickets for it with 4 headliners and Pulp been of them all over the radio. Ditto on the website (http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/music/live/isle_of_wight/). They don't want to fork out such an amount of money for an act that won't be advertised as a headliner. Not sure if they are officially down as a co-headliner but Pulp are at a size that they can put them down with the other 3 headliners and it doesn't look out of place. And to the punters 4 headliners looks better value for money than 3.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see them subbing at say T or at R+L, but to say NME is laughable. And to lump them with FNM the same. Top 2 definitely. If it wasn't for the exclusivity they crave maybe headlining, but since they're at IOW I'd say seconds nailed on if they're to play.

EDIT: It does actually say they're co headliners as well on the bottom of the link.

Edited by stylishkids