Sonisphere

Guest Red_Devil

I'm personally more impressed with Sonisphere so far. They seem willing to take more risks. Biffy Clyro as a headliner is a step in the right direction - the pool of headline acts within the rock/metal arena is definitely set to decline, and is in need of some new blood. Biffy fit that description perfectly, their stock is definitely rising, and its as big a step for Sonisphere as it was to book Rammstein the year before.

As for Metallica and the Big Four - if you're looking at it at how many times they've played fests in the UK recently, then yes, it is a bit repetitive. But this will be the first time the Big Four thrash bands have all played together on UK soil, something not seen before, and for any dedicated metal fan, that's a huge draw. I for one am hooked, despite the numerous times I've seen them, and I really can't pass this up.

Download seems to have the short straw. SOAD is huge, no mistake, and Rob Zombie is a great booking as well. But overall it really feels a bit weak compared to the last few years, if you're taking it on headliners alone. Even Bloodstock and High Voltage have really solid acts lined up so far, and Download doesn't seem as stellar, although its not exactly bad in its own right.

I'm personally more impressed with Sonisphere so far. They seem willing to take more risks. Biffy Clyro as a headliner is a step in the right direction - the pool of headline acts within the rock/metal arena is definitely set to decline, and is in need of some new blood. Biffy fit that description perfectly, their stock is definitely rising, and its as big a step for Sonisphere as it was to book Rammstein the year before.

As for Metallica and the Big Four - if you're looking at it at how many times they've played fests in the UK recently, then yes, it is a bit repetitive. But this will be the first time the Big Four thrash bands have all played together on UK soil, something not seen before, and for any dedicated metal fan, that's a huge draw. I for one am hooked, despite the numerous times I've seen them, and I really can't pass this up.

Download seems to have the short straw. SOAD is huge, no mistake, and Rob Zombie is a great booking as well. But overall it really feels a bit weak compared to the last few years, if you're taking it on headliners alone. Even Bloodstock and High Voltage have really solid acts lined up so far, and Download doesn't seem as stellar, although its not exactly bad in its own right.

Download have booked risky headliners before, Tool, My Chemical Romance, Feeder, Lost Prohpets etc.

Download were after Rammstein for years but they never said yes and I expect the only reason Rammstein headlined in the UK was it was because of clause saying if you want to play the other euro shows you have to play play UK too.

Just finished watching The Big 4 dvd apart from Metallica the other 3 are all living on former glory, So Sonisphere can have them with pleasure. Anthrax were good pre 1990 and have never been the same since, Megadeth have always just been well Megadeth Mustaine has never forgiven James and Lars for sacking him and the fact he has always lived in their shadows and never had the sucess they have, Slayer needed a stage about 1/4 of the size there is more movement in my Grandads wooden leg, Metallica were awesome and deserve everything they have achieved. When they all perform Am i Evil where were slayer? apart from Hanneman ? probably too many chords in the song for the other 3? They should rename that part the big 3.25.

Metallica are still great live, but Ive seen it so many times in the last 23 years I can no longer get excited.

Slayer are f**king pedestrian live, and have been for a few years.

Anthrax can f**king ram it. they sold out Jon Bush, and belladonna is nowhere near as good as bush.

Megadeth impressed me a hell of a lot on the Priest Feast tour, but were dull at download this year. I have a huge soft spot for Mustaine & Co, but not enough to make me head to soni.

"The first time the big four have shared a stage in the UK" is a massive marketing line, but if you break it down and look at it in the cold light of day - it isnt that important in 2011.

I just hope copping doesnt bottle it on the 3rd headliner. He hasnt got the room to try a controversial choice, people say bullet are ready for their big break - they may well be, but I would be very disappointed if it isnt someone of the stature of Tool.

Aerosmith and Kiss and to some smaller extent Def leppard are as relevant today asd they were years ago Kiss pulled a big crowd and put on a good show, Aerosmith would have been bigger but thousands wimped out because of a few rain drops and Def leppard were good infact the whole Sunday of 2009 was good

All three of Kiss, Def Leppard and Aerosmith are huge and worthy headliners

Aerosmith was an absolutely HUGE draw, they could have headlined any festival IMO, including V, they're just a massive act.

Its gunna be really hard to get a legend mega headline act after getting AC/DC and Aerosmith this year, how do you top that? If its not Led Zep or Pink Floyd, in truth you can't.

They can do what they have done booking SOAD and Linkin Park who are two massive acts of recent times, and hopefully they'll be some massive subs like Lostprophets, who won't headline again, they've fell back down the bill they'll never get back up to headliner, was they 4th down at reading this year? and Im hoping for Smashing Pumpkins, after AC said they aren't big enough to headline anymore but he'd book them to sub, or second stage. Limp Bizkit, Korn, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Wolfmother, Pendulum, Rob Zombie, Avenged Sevenfold, if all those play thats a solid undercard then add In Flames, Gaslight Anthem, Papa Roach, Skunk Anansie, Sum 41 etc lower down, this could be a really good year, 2009 strength again I hope

• 2 weeks later...

Me too!! :D

I think I'm possibly the only person who isn't turned on by the prospect of "The Big 4". I just don't get it, yeah Metallica are an excellent band (live and studio), Anthrax used to be quality live, Megadeth are ok and Slayer, well, never seen them so can't comment - I'm not bothered about the stuff I've listened too though.

I don't give a flying f**k about the big four, Metallica is a great headliner, always will be, Megadeth were decent at Download this year but thats it, its the third year running Anthrax are playing Soni, which for a decent position on the line up is shocking. Although I know they have a new album coming out. Slayer, also have just played.

Rob Zombie is booked for Download, his first festival in the UK like forever! Thats a HUGE deal for me, although it doesn't seem like it is for anyone else. System of A Down not having played the UK for around 5 years, thats a big booking too. Sonisphere just doesn't offer me anything special IMO.

I don't give a flying f**k about the big four, Metallica is a great headliner, always will be, Megadeth were decent at Download this year but thats it, its the third year running Anthrax are playing Soni, which for a decent position on the line up is shocking. Although I know they have a new album coming out. Slayer, also have just played.

Rob Zombie is booked for Download, his first festival in the UK like forever! Thats a HUGE deal for me, although it doesn't seem like it is for anyone else. System of A Down not having played the UK for around 5 years, thats a big booking too. Sonisphere just doesn't offer me anything special IMO.