Hard Rock Calling 2011

Guest judyblue110

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw my previous message, well done for working it out!! lol

Well, Bon Jovi seem to usually sell out I thought so its strange that day hasnt gone yet but I suppose if people are annoyed with them then its not so much of a suprise. Personally I was presuming that Coldplay would be there (who I love) actually was more hoping (especially as I havent got a Glasto ticket yet).

I have only been to HRC once and that was for the Killers. Great day.

The problem HRC has is its a bit different from most festivals as you need a hotel (or helpful mate with a sofa) as opposed to camping. Most people won't shell out of three nights in London for a Saturday of rock they could get staying one night in Bristol. If they announced the complete days acts it might sell one day out but really they need to announce all three headliners at once and the subheadliners - otherwise they just look like they can't organise it... or worse they see it as 3 individual gigs.

Fact is for one day its way too expensive - £60 odd plus hotel plus train ticket is about the same as 2 / 3 days at another fest. Its not rocket science that they annoyed so many last year.

The problem HRC has is its a bit different from most festivals as you need a hotel (or helpful mate with a sofa) as opposed to camping. Most people won't shell out of three nights in London for a Saturday of rock they could get staying one night in Bristol. If they announced the complete days acts it might sell one day out but really they need to announce all three headliners at once and the subheadliners - otherwise they just look like they can't organise it... or worse they see it as 3 individual gigs.

Fact is for one day its way too expensive - £60 odd plus hotel plus train ticket is about the same as 2 / 3 days at another fest. Its not rocket science that they annoyed so many last year.

To be honest it's exactly the same as most things, if you live nearby fantastic!! For me when I go to Glastonbury I still have to shell out to travel there and back whatever the camping situation is.

Like tugger says it is essentialy 3 seperate gigs, they just happen to be on the same weekend.

I'm just hoping 1 of the days makes me want to go.

It's a strange one really. I thought the very first year when it was Hyde Park Calling (with Roger Waters and The Who headlining the 2 days) was really good for what was always going to be more of a "gig in the park" as opposed to a 'real' festival so to speak. It was way better than I was ever expecting it to be, not seriously overpriced, great lineup in general and in fact a bl**dy excellent weekend in absolutely all respects. Although I haven't attended since then because I've always been at Glasto the same weekend, it does seem to have kinda degenerated into very much just an extension of Wireless under a different banner and with much less effort apparently being put into making it a weekend event. I've always considered Wireless as being several 1-day events in a row and HRC defo seems to be very much the same kinda deal now.

I've no doubt from a business point of view that programming 3 completely separate days is as good if not better than trying to programme a 3-day event ... but it certainly doesn't work for me. I would almost certainly attend again if, like this year, I'm not at Glasto and the lineup overall was on par with the first one. But there would need to be something quite exceptional on offer in order to tempt me into Town for just a 1-day gig in the park I'm afraid. Guess it means that I'm just not the target punter and all that !

Edited by mikeb

I take the point about it being a number of consecutive one day gigs but going to all the days does mean that you get to see some stuff that otherwise you maybe wouldn't choose to go and see...I decided to go last year because I wanted to see Pearl Jam, I wasn't so fussed about Paul McCartney and even less so about Stevie Wonder....but I was gob-smacked to find that I enjoyed the whole weekend....although the fact the weather was stunning and the beer was ice cold probably helped....it even made the football world cup loss to Germany on the Sunday seem bearable....maybe I was just too mellow !!!!

But I agree....the organisers are certainly testing everyone's patience this year with the waiting to announce the bands. I fear that many will have purchased tickets for other festivals by now and there won't be a big rush.....unless the bands turn out to be mega.

This years delay in announcing is nothing new it was exactly the same last year as well. HRC always seems to be the last to announce it's acts. And back to who's actually going to be there, the Rod Stewart rumour seems to be gathering pace (unfortunetly)After attending the last 2 years we have been treated to such acts like Bruce Springsteen,Neil Young, The Killers, Stevie Wonder, Pear Jam and Paul McCartney I just think Rod Stewart how he is now, a crooner of old american standards isn't really what the HRC festival goers is after he's not rock more slow tempo ballads.

Bands I think we might see are Bryan Adams, Kid Rock, Nickleback, Amy McDonald, Maroon 5, still hoping for Beady Eye somewhere but can't see where they would fit in, especially on a Bon Jovi headline day or the rumoured Coldplay and Rod Stewart.

Fingers crossed they announce Foo Fighters for the Friday and Prince on the Sunday but I would be very surprised now.

I'm not so sure about this Rod Stewart thing. It makes no sense, and surely would not sell out Hyde Park. He is already playing early June and can't sell out Norwich football club. I think a more realistc rumour is Bob Dylan. Apparently he is doing a short festival spell in June, and one UK appearance. I can't see Bob warming up Beyonce before Glastonbury, so Hard Rock maybe. Perhaps Bob Friday, Coldplay Sunday?

Fingers crossed it wont be Rod Stewart.

As far as i know, Ozzy will be playing all over the Europe, but so far hasnt announced any dates in UK :unsure:

Other headliners i'd like to see: R.E.M, Soundgarden, Tom Petty, Prince

Seen Dylan twice before. Much respect to the legend, but His concerts were simply boring.

Also, would love to see Eels and Primus playing some of these days

Fingers crossed it wont be Rod Stewart.

As far as i know, Ozzy will be playing all over the Europe, but so far hasnt announced any dates in UK :unsure:

Other headliners i'd like to see: R.E.M, Soundgarden, Tom Petty, Prince

Seen Dylan twice before. Much respect to the legend, but His concerts were simply boring.

Also, would love to see Eels and Primus playing some of these days

Coldplay would be good. Not sure Bryan Adams has the pulling power as a headliner myself, maybe as a number 2 act but I am not sure who he would support ! Hope it isn't Beyonce doing a Glasto warm up on the Friday!

Edited by steve_f

Well V had rumours of REM, Pulp, etc... what's materialised has made me consider giving up my shoelaces for my own safety! Hopefully HRC will pull something out of the bag ASAP

I like how the angry people on their Facebook page have picked up on the supposed Rod Stewart rumour that was started here... I wish I hadn't jokingly asked Tugger that. I know he generally speaks bollocks most of the time, I wasn't insinuating there was any truth in that coincidentally phrased statement! :lol:

I've decided to have faith in HRC. I DO feel it's totally wrong for them to announce an announcement and then don't follow up on it AGAIN (it's ridiculous, really, that they treat people like this. You wouldn't catch Glastonbury pulling that shit). BUT after the long wait being worth it last year, I'm indifferent just now.

I'm about 60% sure I'm NOT going this year anyway... The last 2 years were outstandingly good, with acts of a quality that I don't feel can never be repeated. But not feeling Bon Jovi at all, and other festivals are far too tempting. I've enjoyed Hop Farm in the past, and if their 2nd headliner (announced Friday) is up my street, I'm heading there. We'll see. There are certain acts that would draw me back, for sure... ;-)