Brothers is NOT real Cider...official!

Guest LusciousLucy

tried it for the 1st time this year as im really picky on cider taste, 2bh the fact its not cider doesnt suprise me as it really does just taste like a pleasant alcopop minus all the fizzzz.

cant say im bothered at all. its like a looooooooooong fruity drinkk.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little because of the hero worship of this drink which is nothing like what it actually used to be like and these days is pretty rank and very chemical and not very cidery at all. Some people do get a bit bored of the endless banging on about how much of an elixir it is when there are so many real and proper and amazing ciders out there that will do things to you and effect you in ways the Brothers of today just cant and doesnt get close to. Its not about snobbery though, merely just folkd who do appreciate proper zoider do get narked with bods who bang on about this so called wonder drink. Its marketing, pure and simple. A long held myth, legend, tradition. Word of mouth that became a massive enterprise for those lucky men at Brothers. And its worked hasnt it? Thousands love it, thousands choose not to drink the stuff.

Brothers did I believe once start life as a proper cider though. It was cloudy, went by the suitable name of Grog, it was like drinking pure battery acid and it was 8.5% proof not that long ago (early 21st century). f**ked you sideways and you couldnt use your legs after just half a pint it was that strong! :D Another reason WHY older chaps and chapesses often steer clear of the new fangled fruit beverage.

Well it is a good job we have never ever sought approval from Camra. We have always done our own thing, made sure that we are producing great drinks for you our customers and not worry what the 'drinks establishment' thought. Indeed, until very recently the National Association of Cidermakers were against the use of the term Pear Cider, now every cider producer has caught up with us and produces a Pear Cider. It's the same story for flavoured ciders.

Brothers Cider exists because of the Glastonbury Festival. Brothers started in 1995 when we first opened our bar in the Jazz field ,with sales restricted to Perry based drinks. When the offer of “Perry” was met with little understanding we would describe it as “like cider but made from Pears” and after repeating this tens of thousands of times the short hand “Pear Cider” was introduced and understood. As a result Brothers Pear Cider was the first Perry sold as “Pear Cider” in the UK.

We are forever indebted to you guys in ensuring Brothers Cider lives beyond the 12 foot fence, as it is a campaign on this website in 2005 that ensured the first batch was bottled and sold online and to local pubs, hence out annual festival pack.

Once again thanks and all the best,

The Brothers

PS No, our Pear Cider recipe has not changed since we started!!!

Well it is a good job we have never ever sought approval from Camra. We have always done our own thing, made sure that we are producing great drinks for you our customers and not worry what the 'drinks establishment' thought. Indeed, until very recently the National Association of Cidermakers were against the use of the term Pear Cider, now every cider producer has caught up with us and produces a Pear Cider. It's the same story for flavoured ciders.

Brothers Cider exists because of the Glastonbury Festival. Brothers started in 1995 when we first opened our bar in the Jazz field ,with sales restricted to Perry based drinks. When the offer of “Perry” was met with little understanding we would describe it as “like cider but made from Pears” and after repeating this tens of thousands of times the short hand “Pear Cider” was introduced and understood. As a result Brothers Pear Cider was the first Perry sold as “Pear Cider” in the UK.

We are forever indebted to you guys in ensuring Brothers Cider lives beyond the 12 foot fence, as it is a campaign on this website in 2005 that ensured the first batch was bottled and sold online and to local pubs, hence out annual festival pack.

The Brothers

I thought everyone knew that Brothers is like an alcopop.

It doesn't matter to me. I like it as it is easy to drink, is really nice cold, and gets you merry quickly! I also love the atmosphere on the Thursday at Jazz/Holts, with the spontaneous cheering etc. I also enjoy zoider and real ales, but this year especially, it was so hot only a Brothers could satisfy my thirst. Apart from water obviously, but let's not speak about that.

The Brothers

Edited by jamesontheverge

I love Brothers. Can't touch normal cider or most pear ciders but I can always manage a few pints of the Strawberry or Toffee Apple flavours.

Edited by sisterofmercy

Don't have time to read the whole thread but just wanted to say if it's made from pears, is it not PERRY really? Rebranded as Pear Cider by clever marketing people... Whatever - I love it all whether made from apples or pears, Strongbow - Koppaberg - Westons - BurrowHill - Magners - The list goes on and on but the top always is BROTHERS and the current favourite within the Brothers flavours is Tutti Frutti, however I feel Toffee Apple will be back up there after my holiday as when the weather turns cooler I prefer it xxx

It's more the partly false advertising part where the ciders state that they are from England or Ireland or wherever but in reality and quite obviously just are not made from locally sourced apples. There just arent enough grown in the UK and Ireland to produce the liquid tons of cider that are sold each and every year. That's the bit that pisses me off.

But spose thats the way of the world now. It still wont get me drinking Brothers though.