Did Iron Maiden not realise it was a festival?

Guest she bangs the drums

I had a fantastic weekend with the highlights for being Garny Numan who was amazing and Rammstein who were awesome however I was really diasppointed with Iron Maiden set list choice yesterday.

I have never seen them before and I'm far from the biggest fan probably knowing 20 songs or so but for the first hour or so last night I hadn't ever heard one song before having not listened to the last 3 albums. I understand Bruce's comments half way through the gig that he didn't want his band to become a tribute act and wanted to carry on playing making new music etc but I'm afraid that unless you were a Maiden fan (and there was quite a few in the 55,000) then you turned up hoping to hear Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Run to the Hills, The Trooper etc.

The set list was poor and there was a lot of bored fans in the crowd including myself, I can't imagine going to watch say a band like Metallica at a festival and they didn't play Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters or Master of Puppets?

I can understand they want to play newer songs but it should have been a greatest hits show last night and if not then at the very least mix the set list up to keep people interested.

I would never go and watch them again. ;)

I had a fantastic weekend with the highlights for being Garny Numan who was amazing and Rammstein who were awesome however I was really diasppointed with Iron Maiden set list choice yesterday.

I have never seen them before and I'm far from the biggest fan probably knowing 20 songs or so but for the first hour or so last night I hadn't ever heard one song before having not listened to the last 3 albums. I understand Bruce's comments half way through the gig that he didn't want his band to become a tribute act and wanted to carry on playing making new music etc but I'm afraid that unless you were a Maiden fan (and there was quite a few in the 55,000) then you turned up hoping to hear Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Run to the Hills, The Trooper etc.

The set list was poor and there was a lot of bored fans in the crowd including myself, I can't imagine going to watch say a band like Metallica at a festival and they didn't play Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters or Master of Puppets?

I can understand they want to play newer songs but it should have been a greatest hits show last night and if not then at the very least mix the set list up to keep people interested.

I would never go and watch them again. ;)

Being a big Maiden fan since 1984.I have not been so keen on the output since Fear of the Dark really.I decided on a Saturday ticket only on the basis that Maiden had just done the Somewhere back in time thing and had played most of the classics.I had a feeling they may flood the set with newer stuff (but I did not expect that amount).Boy am I glad I was right.What I have heard of the Final Frontier isn`t doing a lot for me either to be honest. :unsure:

Maiden should have released their album before this gig, although it was a festival, alot of Maiden fans just came for the day, but it's harder to keep the crowd with you if they don't know the stuff. AC~DC's last tour had a better ballance of old and new tracks and they had let fans get to know the new stuff before they toured it.

I still enjoyed Maiden though ;)

Maiden should have released their album before this gig, although it was a festival, alot of Maiden fans just came for the day, but it's harder to keep the crowd with you if they don't know the stuff. AC~DC's last tour had a better ballance of old and new tracks and they had let fans get to know the new stuff before they toured it.

I still enjoyed Maiden though ;)

It was awesome. I'm not really a fan of Dance Of Death or The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, which were one after the other, but the rest of it was brilliant. I could understand if you were watching Europe just for The Final Countdown, but this is Iron Maiden! Blood Brothers, Wicker Man and These Colours Don't Run are quality live.

I just wish the set was longer!

It was awesome. I'm not really a fan of Dance Of Death or The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, which were one after the other, but the rest of it was brilliant. I could understand if you were watching Europe just for The Final Countdown, but this is Iron Maiden! Blood Brothers, Wicker Man and These Colours Don't Run are quality live.

I just wish the set was longer!

My friend and I left after about 4/5 songs. I thought they were good and everything, and if it had been a different venue may have stayed longer but the flags made it impossible to see anything at all.

They should be banned .... http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=139861496048166

My friends came back complaining of the lack of "run to the hills" though!

...I could understand if you were watching Europe just for The Final Countdown...

Edited by bekimo

• 3 months later...