THE HEAT

Guest puppetmode

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Manchester; the capital of drizzle. How anyone can describe 90 degree heat as 'great weather' is beyond me. Spent at least half of each day cowering under the gazebo, shuffling 6 inches to the left all day as the sun continued its remorseless assault. People who can wander around all day half naked without passing out amaze me. Personally, i would suggest 70-75 degrees with a nice little breeze and bit of cloud cover is perfect. I''ve rarely misssed Manchesters weather as much as this weekend and couldn't resist a beaming smile when i returned home yesterday and within an hour the heavens had opened. Great festival obviously, just a bit too hot this time.

As a number of posters have said - twas a two edged sword. Very hot during the day and in front of stages or in tents - the John Peel during Bombay Bicycle Club on the Friday, and Norah Jones on the Pyramid on Sunday were particularly intense for me. However, no mud, you could walk anywhere in a straight line without having to stick to the metalled walkways, it was lovely to sit down wherever you fancied, and there was shade to be had once you got the hang of it.......I found it was all about pacing yourself. Watch a band, find somewhere cool / shady before trying another.

I found the dust harder to cope with, especially on the sunday when throats were dry anyway from the drink and singing along.

I agree, as a Ginger Goddess the heat was oppressive.But that was in the day, what about the nights?

Comparing the sheer misery of trying to enjoy The Who after 5 days of mud, (swaddled in layers of every t-shirt you owned, fleeces and waterproofs), to swaying happily to Stevie Wonder in a little dress. Wonderful.

Yes shade was hard to find, but not as hard as finding somewhere just to bloomin sit down when you've got mud up to you knees

sorry boys, slim, wooderson, I'm normally shoulder to shoulder with you, you know that, but I f**king loved the heat and the sun. It was wonderful. Took me back to the mid 90s. It couldn't have been better.

It was hard work but I'd take it over rain any day.

Finding shade was difficult. I'm sure it would have been fairly easy/cheap for the organisers to construct some kind of massive outside sun screen for people to shelter under/behind.

I was fairly lucky as my tent was in shade until about 10am so the mornings weren't too bad. However, as I generally didn't go to bed until about 6.30 each morning i did suffer from lack of sleep. But that was my own fault.

And yes, hats are a massive help.

I burn easily and I do actually sweat a lot, even for a fat lass, and I loved it! Big hat + sun screen + gallons of water = job done. Picked up tip from camping neighbours - bought a square scarf from Oxfam for a quid, run it under the tap every time you refill water bottle, sling round shoulders. Keeps body temp down and protects from sunburn. Brilliant.

Weekend has actually made me look really hard at how much water I "normally" drink and have vowed to drink more now I've seen the difference it can have on wellbeing and mood.

Only thing that got me was that because so many bottles of water etc were being bought, most places were unable to replenish their fridges quickly enough and so soft drinks never seemed to be cold. Plus within a day, all the cider we had brought for the trip was hot (unless we drank it early in the morning) and so spent loads on buying ice cold drinks from the bars. Other than that absoltely loved the heat/sun though!

I dislike continuous heat and found it very draining at times, especially on the Sunday afternoon. The temperature in the tent became unbearable from about 8am, along with the choking dust too...

I'm from Manchester; the capital of drizzle. How anyone can describe 90 degree heat as 'great weather' is beyond me. Spent at least half of each day cowering under the gazebo, shuffling 6 inches to the left all day as the sun continued its remorseless assault. People who can wander around all day half naked without passing out amaze me. Personally, i would suggest 70-75 degrees with a nice little breeze and bit of cloud cover is perfect. I''ve rarely misssed Manchesters weather as much as this weekend and couldn't resist a beaming smile when i returned home yesterday and within an hour the heavens had opened. Great festival obviously, just a bit too hot this time.

the heat gave my girlfriend a few fainting scares where we had to get water/shade quickly. it caused problems certainly.

i wouldn't say it spoilt the festival for me... but its the difference between enjoying yourself without thought, or preparing for rain with a poncho and wellies once at the start of the day, and constantly looking for shade, reapplying sunscreen, filling water bottles, etc etc

i had to constantly make sure i was in a fit state to enjoy myself, rather than just being able to enjoy myself.

I can't believe people are moaning about the weather. You people are proper mental. It was f**king sunny! That's a good thing. How can you think it's a bad thing at a festival? proper 100% loopy.

I hated the sun to :( I hated the people who seemed unfazed by it,(While burning red mind). But I just hate the sun even more now. It was evil and unrelentless, however I would prohs would have spent more time at the main stages than I planed and not sitting in shade near the Sensations Tent, so swings and round abouts, but until about 7 every day it just a bit to much.

Again with the "it's better than 2007" angle. Every other Glasto ever has been "better than 2007".

There's been plenty of years - including 2009 - where you could sit down almost anywhere, and it wasn't so hot that moving was an effort.