• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

That money's already been taken out and deferred prior to the £95m cash.

ahh, ok.

Something I forgot yesterday: do bear in mind that its usual for any business to hold enough money in cash to cover three months trading without any money coming in. I'd expect footy clubs to hold more in reserve than the normal, given that they have 2 months every year when they know they won't have normal trading monies coming in.

Worked on a turnover of £300M (tho it's higher than that now), that means they'd be expected to carry a cash reserve of £75M.

But as I say, it would be more than that on current numbers, plus they'd be extra because of two months of essentially no normal trading thru the summer ... so it means that just about all of that £95M is not for spending.

Was more hoping for input on the the amortisation of goodwill treatment. On the books, seems to me, there's £35m every year as an expense on P+L, but it's artificial. No money leaves the club in respect of that, and it's not like depreciation where something needs replacing either. It might fluctuate but if anything rising EBITDA's would mean value of goodwill would increase. It's tax relief isn't it, until the value paid is extinguished?

On the books, we're making trading losses but not real losses. There's £35m "hidden" cash every year.

edit: the roughly £9m depreciation per year wouldn't actually affect cashflow per year either, but that at least does represent a cost; ie. things will need replacing. Goodwill doesn't.

That's £35M depreciation in asset value of Man Utd each year - another thing which shows the claims of a 1.5Bn bid are bollox.

If they hold on to Man Utd for another 20 years, the numbers might actually add up. :lol:

It's the sort of bullshit accounting fiddle that has seen the likes of Lehmans and Enron go down the pan. It's something for extra worries, not to lessen financial concerns.

I can't quite believe the levels that Barca are stooping to over this. Last night was supposed to be the big celebration of what their national team achieved but instead once again the Barca players try and use it as another way to unsettle things between Cesc and Arsenal. The bit that really gripes as well is that it was Reina that was acting as ringleader - what the f#ck has it got to do with him?

As i've said many times, i'm under no illusions that Fabregas wants to move back to Barca at some point. We all know he wants to and when he does, I'll just be thankful for the years of great service he's given my club. Barca seem to think though that this means they can just click their fingers and we will sell him at whatever price they feel like paying. The tapping up has got to extradinary and public levels now but do we hear a word from UEFA or FIFA? Of course not. If this was the other way round Platini and Blatter would be fighting each other for who would get to stick the boot into our club first. For a club that likes to make such a big thing of how they are a shining example of a club and how football should be played - Barca come accross as the most classless bunch of c#nts in world football.

Anyway my ranting isn't going to change anything so back to the exciting do/don't ManU have money discussions.

I find it hard to believe that Cesc would be so stupid as to go to Barca - having barely got a kick in South Africa because the barca midfield were keeping him out of the team, why does he think things will be different if he was a barca player?

If he's got half a brain he'll stay at Arsenal until he actually stands a chance of playing at Barca. If he's got less than half a brain, then perhaps it's not such a big loss to Arsenal after all.

I may be wrong but from my memory alonso didnt get int he team either untill he moved to spain. The like of spain and italy are very bias to players playing domestically. Im sure barca could incorporate cesc in the first team.

Would they drop a World Cup and Euros and Chumps league winning midfield to accommodate Cesc? I can't see it myself.

I find it hard to believe that Cesc would be so stupid as to go to Barca - having barely got a kick in South Africa because the barca midfield were keeping him out of the team, why does he think things will be different if he was a barca player?

If he's got half a brain he'll stay at Arsenal until he actually stands a chance of playing at Barca. If he's got less than half a brain, then perhaps it's not such a big loss to Arsenal after all.

I can't quite believe the levels that Barca are stooping to over this. Last night was supposed to be the big celebration of what their national team achieved but instead once again the Barca players try and use it as another way to unsettle things between Cesc and Arsenal. The bit that really gripes as well is that it was Reina that was acting as ringleader - what the f#ck has it got to do with him?

As i've said many times, i'm under no illusions that Fabregas wants to move back to Barca at some point. We all know he wants to and when he does, I'll just be thankful for the years of great service he's given my club. Barca seem to think though that this means they can just click their fingers and we will sell him at whatever price they feel like paying. The tapping up has got to extradinary and public levels now but do we hear a word from UEFA or FIFA? Of course not. If this was the other way round Platini and Blatter would be fighting each other for who would get to stick the boot into our club first. For a club that likes to make such a big thing of how they are a shining example of a club and how football should be played - Barca come accross as the most classless bunch of c#nts in world football.

Edited by The Nal

Completely disagree, he may have been a non playing squad member but thats not to say he didnt have an influence on the squad. He could easily have worked with casillas, helped keep a good team morale and also looked after players like navas who reportedly struggle with homesickness. many talented squads in the past have failed because of divisions in the squad, dont underestimate the effect people like reina can have.

Edited by The Nal

Completely disagree, he may have been a non playing squad member but thats not to say he didnt have an influence on the squad. He could easily have worked with casillas, helped keep a good team morale and also looked after players like navas who reportedly struggle with homesickness. many talented squads in the past have failed because of divisions in the squad, dont underestimate the effect people like reina can have.

That's not what The Nal or I was getting at. Reina was at the head of the whole thing of putting the Barca shirt on Cesc. He was shouting to the crowd that Cesc was "The future of Barcalona". Why the f#ck is he involving himself? He plays for an english club and has no connection to Barca so why is he helping them in tapping up Cesc.

So is it just me that thinks the Spanish squad were just mucking around in good spirits after their victory?

Yes, it was a bit daft and disrespectful to Arsenal, but I don't believe there was any intent in it. Just a group of players enjoying themselves.

I suppose it beats our last 'parade' where Gazza wore a pair of fake tits after we came 4th.

To say reina has no connection to barcelona isnt really true, they were the first team he played for. Also Im not sure how reina encouring arsenals best player to leave will be anything but good for liverpool. Or am i being cynical!

Edited by The Nal

So is it just me that thinks the Spanish squad were just mucking around in good spirits after their victory?

Yes, it was a bit daft and disrespectful to Arsenal, but I don't believe there was any intent in it. Just a group of players enjoying themselves.

I suppose it beats our last 'parade' where Gazza wore a pair of fake tits after we came 4th.

So on a day where they were there to celebrate the national teams achievements and were all wearing the national teams shirts, they just happened to have a Barca shirt to hand when Cesc came to the front of the stage? Sorry mate, but there's been far too much stuff said by all the Barca players to the press for it to be anything other than planned. For the last 3 months now every Barca player has gone on about how "Fabregas belongs at Barca" or "he's got Barca DNA", the worst offender being Xavi. It's obvious that they've been told by the club to do it, I just think it's an appauling way to go about signing a player. STill nowt will be done about it so who cares I suppose?

A great plan :)

But if Cole was played there in that position, would he actually play in that position? Or would he do what he always does, and think he's the striker that will knock in more goals than the strikers (while failing to knock in more goals)? ;)