Guns n Roses Appreciation Thread

Guest rexclark

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put quite simply - there's a reason why The Spaghetti Incident was so terrible. Covers. Live and Let Die and especially Knockin' On Heaven's Door are b-sides at best.

We all know that Guns N Roses can write a great song or two so there was no need for something like The Spaghetti Incident to ever be released. That was an album full of... well, filler. Think of U2's Rattle and Hum - and album/video of music consisting entirely of a great band at the top of their game buckling under the weight of their own ego. That's what happened to Guns N Roses on Use Your Illusion.

Put quite simply - there's a reason why The Spaghetti Incident was so terrible. Covers. Live and Let Die and especially Knockin' On Heaven's Door are b-sides at best.

We all know that Guns N Roses can write a great song or two so there was no need for something like The Spaghetti Incident to ever be released. That was an album full of... well, filler. Think of U2's Rattle and Hum - and album/video of music consisting entirely of a great band at the top of their game buckling under the weight of their own ego. That's what happened to Guns N Roses on Use Your Illusion.

Use Your Illusion I

Live and Let Die

You Ain't The First

Bad Obsession

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Bad Apples

Dead Horse

Use Your Illusion II

Civil War

14 Years

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Get In The Ring

Shotgun Blues

Estranged

Don't Cry (Alt)

My World

So what you'd be left with is...

Use Your Illusion

Double Talkin' Jive

Dust N' Bones

Don't Cry (Original Version)

Right Next Door to Hell

Perfect Crime

Yesterdays

Pretty Tied Up

Back off Bitch

November Rain

Don't Damn Me

Breakdown

Locomotive

Coma

So Fine

You Could Be Mine

------------------------

You jumble up the songs to create your own ideal Use Your Illusion.

As before, none of the songs that I took off are bad - they're just not really necessary to get the point of Use Your Illusion. Estranged was the hardest one to take off but I think you get enough pretentious epics with Coma and November Rain.

What what what...!?

Honestly, Chinese Democracy is a great album. It's never going to appear on any 'best of...' lists in the near immediate future, it's nothing that'll blow the world away (now at least), and it's quite difficult to swallow on first listen, but eventually you'll get it. For an album that some people had been waiting close to 20 years for, it may seem a bit anti-climactic but if you give it some time to fathom your way through the seemingly mountainous layers of sound, you'll feel rewarded when you uncover some of the most alienated, persecuted and most personal lyrics Axl has ever written amongst songs that, to be fair, aren't instant classics but are nevertheless really bloody good. Why they are really bloody good is a conversation for another day.

People who are newbies to Guns N Roses are a lot less accepting and quick to dismiss the album (and band) as just an Axl solo act, or a GNR tribute band - which isn't fair. The people you would expect to be upset about Guns N Roses are those faithful few who have stuck with them for years... and I haven't met a veteran fan yet who has anything bad to say about them. The reason being that we've matured with the Axl and the band, we've evolved with them and we've grown to understand them.

That level of understanding is what people should listen to; it's the level of understanding that drives Axl to keep going. He's making music for himself and the faithful few who can be bothered to stick around, and if you don't? Well, f**k you. Don't like the music? f**k you. Don't like the band? f**k you. That's his attitude.

A person who is new to Guns N Roses won't be as understanding because they will only expect the band they see on Kerrang - they will only accept what the world of rock music has provided for them, re-living memories that never happened from 1992 before most of them even existed. A band like Guns N Roses aren't nostalgic because they're a band who are constantly evolving - it's just that the public at large/The Kerrang Crowd aren't really allowing them the air to change and grow.

Edited by wheres the mudfight

Oh raspberries!

:angry:

Judging by the repetitve nature of recent set lists, don't be surprised if the set at Leeds/Reading looks something like this:

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Welcome To The Jungle

3. It's So Easy

4. Mr. Brownstone

5. Sorry

6. Richard Fortus Guitar Solo [James Bond Theme]

7. Live And Let Die [Paul McCartney]

8. This I Love

9. Rocket Queen

10. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo

11. Street Of Dreams

12. You Could Be Mine

13. DJ Ashba Guitar Solo

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. Axl Rose Piano Solo

16. November Rain

17. Bumblefoot Guitar Solo [Pink Panther Theme]

18. Knockin' On Heaven's Door Cover[bob Dylan]

19. Nightrain

Encore

20. Madagascar

21. Better

22. Paradise City

Perhaps repetitive was the wrong turn of phrase to use. I simply meant that the setlists of late have been pretty much unchanged, and that if anybody was looking for an indication of what they're likely to see at R/L then that would be pretty close.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate :) Was never really into GnR, saw them at leeds 2002, went out & bought Appetite as soon as I got home. Some of the videos of the 2002 still give me chills when I watch them.

Hell, any excuse to post;

One of the main reasons I wanna go this year.

Edited by Gre

I think I said it earlier in this thread but every time I've had the chance to see Guns N Roses post-2000 I've always been busy doing something else, working or none of my friends were around to accompany me. This will be my first chance to see the band I've grown up listening and I'll be damned if a load of dang-blasted-fang-blarnit pesky kids mess it up. Bastards.