World Cup 2010

Guest Cardboard Box City

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant buy this tired excuse for players like rooney who still find energy for videos, photoshoots and ok magazine. Maybe they should use their spare time to rest rather than thinking about money all the time.

Interesting discussion on guardian podcast how england pidgeon hole players from an early age. At 6ft 1 muller would have been turned to a heskey type striker. Canavarro probably a full back.

The funny thing after every tournament the media discuss how for england to have a chance they need to make all these changes. Yet the tournament starts with no changes made and they still think they will win it.

In quite impressed with the dutch, they have got to the quarters without breaking sweat. They have sacraficed some natural flair and they look a better tournament team for it. The next round should be more challenging.

I find this whole argument about england players not bringing their club form into the world cup funny. I think people are living 2 years i the past. The trouble is the majortiy of england players had mediocre/poor seasons in the premeirship and the problem was that they brought this form to the world cup. You look at englands back 4 against germany, johnson and upson had awful seasons, terry his worst season I can remember. While the 2 main keepers shipped i goals for fun. Hardly the ideal preperation for a world cup. Apart from Rooney, lampard, milner and some of the spurs players, who are these players that according to the media were great for club but average for country?

I find this whole argument about england players not bringing their club form into the world cup funny. I think people are living 2 years i the past. The trouble is the majortiy of england players had mediocre/poor seasons in the premeirship and the problem was that they brought this form to the world cup. You look at englands back 4 against germany, johnson and upson had awful seasons, terry his worst season I can remember. While the 2 main keepers shipped i goals for fun. Hardly the ideal preperation for a world cup. Apart from Rooney, lampard, milner and some of the spurs players, who are these players that according to the media were great for club but average for country?

I hate to admit this, but Neil was right all along.

There are changes throughout English football but I think some major changes in the England team are needed too. I'm not fussed whether Capello stays or goes, but he has to learn from his mistakes at this world cup. International football is very different to club football and he needs to learn to be more flexible.

I'd say we now plan for the 2014 world cup, as we won't do anything at the 2012 Euro's. That means we start to build a new team now, and drop the 'stars' who consistently under-perform and who'll be too old in 2014 anyway, as well as those who clearly aren't good enough. That means:

Drop Permanently: James (he'll probably retire from International football in the next few weeks anyway), Terry, Lampard, Green, Upson, Wright-Phillips, Carragher, Defoe, King and Heskey.

Drop for now, only bringing back if in-form and looking passionate: Johnson, Gerrard (only because he was one of our best players in SA), Lennon, Rooney, J Cole and Barry.

Keep: A Cole, Dawson, Crouch, Warnock, Milner, Carrick and Hart.

You can even bring Ferdinand back as he wasn't fit enough to look useless at the world cup. We wouldn't have a bad team who could actually learn to play as a team. What about:

Hart

Richards Dawson/Cahill Ferdinand A Cole

Walcott Milner Huddlestone/Rodwell Johnson

Crouch Bent :unsure:

Edited by amaidment

My only worry about that would be that the media/us/everybody doesnt have the patience, and so when that team of young potentials gets bladdered by Finland in a friedly in my back garden --they would get f**kin slated by all and sundry and the experiment would be declared a failure...so which manager would put his head on the block for that?

Chris Hughton or Danny Wilson et al?

But---i like the priciple of it. Can it be much worse than this?

den

I hope that this time might finally be different - our players should be at their peak and they were terrible. Its not like previous years where we did well in some games, where there were glimpses of what might be - this time we looked poor in every game, just about every player was useless.

I think the pain and disappointment might last long enough this time.

I actually found this defeat easier to take...there was no unfairness, aside from the goal that never was, in our defeat. We were comprehensively beaten and our flaws exposed. The worst defending by an England side in a long long time. I'm all for changing the players not the manager. I'm pleased that it's Lampard and co's last tournament. Players like him are flattered by the players around them at their clubs and his mediocrity is there for all to see on the world stage. My only regret is it makes it harder watching the rest of the tournament...

My only worry about that would be that the media/us/everybody doesnt have the patience, and so when that team of young potentials gets bladdered by Finland in a friedly in my back garden --they would get f**kin slated by all and sundry and the experiment would be declared a failure...so which manager would put his head on the block for that?

I actually found this defeat easier to take...there was no unfairness, aside from the goal that never was, in our defeat. We were comprehensively beaten and our flaws exposed. The worst defending by an England side in a long long time. I'm all for changing the players not the manager. I'm pleased that it's Lampard and co's last tournament. Players like him are flattered by the players around them at their clubs and his mediocrity is there for all to see on the world stage. My only regret is it makes it harder watching the rest of the tournament...

Just how can it be easier? Ok ok, if we went out to the flukiest goal in the history of mankind then it might sit easier on me atm... but we f**kin lost horribly...and that makes it even worse for me.

I dont mind losing...but its how yer lose that makes it a bit more acceptable.

I totally disagree about Lampard being flattered at club level--- but you have pointed out in a perverse way part of the problem...at Chelsea, he ghosts into the box and is served by great balls played with vision and skill...he as such isnt the playmaker... he more often that not finishes em. How can you possibly diss a midfield player who has consistently scored 20 a season for all these years as being mediocre.

Very unfair imo.

den,sick as f**k still

I apologise for getting it so wrong about Fabio.

He isn't Sven mkII but with better substitutions after all. He's just Sven mkII.

Does anyone want to tell me again that I'm wrong when I say that no matter what the individual skills of the England players, they don't do 'team'? Or was it just that they were tired, poor lambs. :lol::lol:

There's no point in dreaming that England will win when they don't have a hope. I'm saving my dreams for a team that deserves it.

He isn't Sven mkII but with better substitutions after all. He's just Sven mkII.

Does anyone want to tell me again that I'm wrong when I say that no matter what the individual skills of the England players, they don't do 'team'? Or was it just that they were tired, poor lambs. :lol::lol:

There's no point in dreaming that England will win when they don't have a hope. I'm saving my dreams for a team that deserves it.

Did you actually see the BBC's coverage of the Germany game - with that shite about 'England fever' and Brian Blessed. And the pundits saying none of the German team would get into the England team. If that aint a manifestation of false hope then I dont know what is.

The England team needs drastic surgery - like in the way Germany have done so since the last WC. They have the players there - they just need a manager with the balls to do it. For £5m a year you'd have thought Capello might have managed it but he, contrary to what he said he wouldnt do, picked players on reputation not form.

For god sake, Andy Gray has been talking about the next England manager and his choices are Shearer, Hodgson, Hoddle & Beckham.

Well, those are at least better than the suggestion that's often made, that it should be 'Arry. Does that man have anything to say aside from "Fabio should have played my players, they're fantastic"? - yet he did, and Spurs players are no less of a part of why it was so dire.

England needs a manager who knows how to build a team, not someone who picks the standard idea of who are the best players. The best players do not make the best team, as both Sven and Fabio have shown.

I could f**k things up that badly for half of Fabio's £6M a year. :P