Secret Garden Party 2010

Guest 5co77ie

What started out as the worst start to a festival ever on thursday afternoon with our four hour wait to get in, the stupid security (we still got everything in we needed including stove and booze) and just to round things off getting our new bell tent slashed on thursday night. Turned into one of the best festivals ever. A full on artistic crowd made the already beautiful site quite simply amazing. Every bit of music I heard was of the highest quality except the saturday headliner which was quite frankly a piss take! sorry SGP I expect better value for my £120. Highlights though were caravan palace, mercury rev, the jessie rose trip,the whip and the absoulutely wonderful Reverend sound system which even had mr prog rock himself corperal clegg taping his foot! nice one.

I expect to be back next year, but please so many looking for booze while so much tent crime! get your priorities correct! And certainly a few more loos!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved this festival but the queue to get in was really off putting, so glad i didnt have my dog and toddler at this point. I'm local so picked them up later.

Had the same exprience last month at glasto and it was shit then.

But once inside the fest i didnt experience any trouble, hardly saw any music and had a great time. This was one of my faves but not too sure about those queues...

Got to agree with the comments about getting in on Thursday afternoon just a total shambles.This was not the first Secret Garden so they should have the intelligence and experience to realise that what happened on Thursday afternoon was totally preventable.You can't treat people who've paid £120 like that.Standing in that queue for more than 4 hours I already decided I wasn't coming back so it was to the organisers credit that I changed my mind very quickly once inside.

Onto the good stuff.i don't think I've been to a festival with such a relentless party atmosphere before! First festival i've been to where the music was incidental as so much other stuff going on.Paid £5 for a programme but didn't really need it as spent the whole weekend just wandering around being entertained by random stuff going on.

musical highlights I did manage to see was the majestic Mercury Rev,horace Andy,Steve Mason and The Whip.Also Reverend Sound System were excellent too(Yes thankyou Forum Fanny I do move my feet from time to time!!)

All in all an excellent festival experience just sort out that f**king nonsense on Thursday afternoon.

Did anyone have problems going out on Monday? We got to the car park 12ish and the queue looked silly, people had obviously been waiting hours and cars were going out along one dirt track, I estimated it would take us 4 or 5 hours to get out. After the 4 hours on Thursday we were feeling pretty down, problems on the way in you can forgive, the way out as well and you'll remember that more than the festival. Suddenly all the cars started bombing it down towards the fence away from the festival so we quickly follwed to see a section of the car park fence had been removed and led to a path round a field of wheat, we were still worried we'd reach a dead end but we ended up out on the road within 10mins. Hope others used that route and got out in time.

It was similar problems to the way in, not thinking about the bottlenecks, you can't have one exit for a car park with thousands of cars that will all want to leave on the Monday, similarly the queue on the way in was not just caused by the searches (we didn't get searched so brought in all our wine and vodka) but there was just one guy at the entrance lane, scrabbling around in his pocket to get out a wristband. Must have taken him 1 minute to fit them on me and the missus, those seconds wasted add up with a queue of thousands. SGP should hopefully learn lessons from this and look at how some of the larger festivals handle it. Say what you want about Meanfiddler but they are very good at crowd logistics, SGP had no shortage of workers from the look of the licence so having 5 times as many giving out wristbands at the peak times on Thursday would have been easy.

Saying all that I loved the festival, the atmosphere and crowd were amazing. Never seen such effort made into dressing up and having a laugh with passers by. Definitily going next year.

In 2009 I arrived at this festival with crew and stayed within the crew camping area. Crew members invariably go free and also do not suffer intrusive searches and therefore can bring in almost unlimited drink. This year (2010) I was subject to the full experience normal punters have to put up with. Why would anyone go as a punter? Waiting to get in and out, Police dogs, aggressive rent-a-thug security, I witnessed one security guy shouting directly into the face of a young girl punter over a small carton of juice which may have had spirits in it but was in my view a gross over-reaction of a man clearly with female issues getting his kicks as a bully. The security was also variable if you are smuggling booze do it on the first night or on the Sunday morning, virtually no security - DO NOT TRY IT ON THE SATURDAY - you will get abuse from the security and made to feel unwelcome, I was successful on Thursday, Friday and Sunday but it is a pain in the arse not to be able to bring in more than 12 cans since already paying a small fortune for a ticket. Despite saying that I found the atmosphere charming and festive in an idyllic setting having plenty to do, see and hear which helped me forgive the aggressive security, chaotic parking and expensive ticket price for what is a small festival site. I think on balance it is a worthwhile festival, but I hope that over the next few years it will not become more stringent, oversubscribed or poorer in quality. I fear that it may have had its day though and I probably will not return to this festival unless they relax their alcohol policy which in my view is overbearing and unnecessary (Someone tell them alcohol is not illegal)

Did anyone have problems going out on Monday? We got to the car park 12ish and the queue looked silly, people had obviously been waiting hours and cars were going out along one dirt track, I estimated it would take us 4 or 5 hours to get out. After the 4 hours on Thursday we were feeling pretty down, problems on the way in you can forgive, the way out as well and you'll remember that more than the festival. Suddenly all the cars started bombing it down towards the fence away from the festival so we quickly follwed to see a section of the car park fence had been removed and led to a path round a field of wheat, we were still worried we'd reach a dead end but we ended up out on the road within 10mins. Hope others used that route and got out in time.

In 2009 I arrived at this festival with crew and stayed within the crew camping area. Crew members invariably go free and also do not suffer intrusive searches and therefore can bring in almost unlimited drink. This year (2010) I was subject to the full experience normal punters have to put up with. Why would anyone go as a punter? Waiting to get in and out, Police dogs, aggressive rent-a-thug security, I witnessed one security guy shouting directly into the face of a young girl punter over a small carton of juice which may have had spirits in it but was in my view a gross over-reaction of a man clearly with female issues getting his kicks as a bully. The security was also variable if you are smuggling booze do it on the first night or on the Sunday morning, virtually no security - DO NOT TRY IT ON THE SATURDAY - you will get abuse from the security and made to feel unwelcome, I was successful on Thursday, Friday and Sunday but it is a pain in the arse not to be able to bring in more than 12 cans since already paying a small fortune for a ticket. Despite saying that I found the atmosphere charming and festive in an idyllic setting having plenty to do, see and hear which helped me forgive the aggressive security, chaotic parking and expensive ticket price for what is a small festival site. I think on balance it is a worthwhile festival, but I hope that over the next few years it will not become more stringent, oversubscribed or poorer in quality. I fear that it may have had its day though and I probably will not return to this festival unless they relax their alcohol policy which in my view is overbearing and unnecessary (Someone tell them alcohol is not illegal)

Edited by fingers_mark

We left on Saturday, after 4 1/2hrs of waiting to get in due to the 'tough' security checks to ensure no drugs get in....yet it was full to the brim of class A drugs, so not quite sure what that was about and we had to endure the Tabitha's and the Tobias' going on about how much coke/ketamin and mdma they had done, over and over again for 48hrs. No-one else has ever taken drugs of course. Dont have any issues with what people choose to get high but this was sold as more of an alternative festival and unless you were 20-29 and off you head on bucket loads of drugs....I would say not for you. Also, one guy had his narcolepsy and bladder control medication taken off of him. Maybe the SGP resident dealer sold them on. It would seem by chatting to some of the marshalls, the crew in the tents and the performers that this year was full of twenty somethings more than ever before and that too many tickets had been sold. They said last year had more of a family/community fee. I am clearly getting to old!

We have been to lots of festivals of different genres, never have we left early!

I had an incredible time, one of the best festivals I've been to. We were annoyed by the queue in but the next few days more than made up for it. Will definitely be attending next year.

Re the booze issue, we made exactly your point Mr Clegg that the 4 hours spent queueing would have been spent sat in the sun drinking from the on site bars so they probably missed out on a load of cash there. Also why wasn't there a simple "off license" selling cans after hours as surely this is the main reason why people bring booze on site? Add to this the main bars only opening at midday and you have an awful lot of unexploited revenue.

Fair enough that festivals need revenue through the bars and most people will spend money there anyway just thought it was way over the top at this festival for booze checks.Most people bring booze in as a back up to to what they will buy inside.And anyway where is the sense in keeping thousands of people outside the festival for more than 4 hours when they could be inside spending money,which let's face it on the first day you hit the ground running and spend loads!!

I disagree with the comment made above that the alcohol sales on site are required to keep the fessie going....The capacity was doubled this year, if £150 per ticket and 26000 were sold(and having a live in vehicle set me back a further £50) doesn't keep them ticking over, nothing will.

The perimeter fence should've been for the main site only, if tent campers could've set up outside they would've been allowed to take in as much booze as they could carry, fair enough about not allowing into the arena but we in vans were able to be WELL stocked...doesn't seem fair.

Still, it's one of my fave fessies, I can take my dogs which makes life so much easier, however, if you double sales then double stewards, makes mathematical sense to me.

Also, Spangly Parking were not very spangly....more pissed off and stressed. We didn't even try to get into the main arena until 9pm, we'd been set up since 3pm but the queues were horrendous.

I think this fessie has something for everyone, nice and chilled on the near side of the lake and full mash up on the far side. The fireworks and boat burning this year were truly spectacular.

Will definetly be going again next year as well.....it's only a 45 min drive home...she says smuggly....xxxx

We left on Saturday, after 4 1/2hrs of waiting to get in due to the 'tough' security checks to ensure no drugs get in....yet it was full to the brim of class A drugs, so not quite sure what that was about and we had to endure the Tabitha's and the Tobias' going on about how much coke/ketamin and mdma they had done, over and over again for 48hrs. No-one else has ever taken drugs of course. Dont have any issues with what people choose to get high but this was sold as more of an alternative festival and unless you were 20-29 and off you head on bucket loads of drugs....I would say not for you. Also, one guy had his narcolepsy and bladder control medication taken off of him. Maybe the SGP resident dealer sold them on. It would seem by chatting to some of the marshalls, the crew in the tents and the performers that this year was full of twenty somethings more than ever before and that too many tickets had been sold. They said last year had more of a family/community fee. I am clearly getting to old!

We have been to lots of festivals of different genres, never have we left early!

Dionne, what a shame.....did you spend all your time on the far side of the lake? Me and my mates are 40-60 yr olds, ok we partake of a bit of fun now n then but if you stick to the chilled side it's far more family friendly and chilled....I managed to avoid the youngsters in the K hole or those gurning.....head to the Small World Stage for delicious brandy coffees, the friendliest crew EVER and some fabulous world music (from samba to swing, jazz to folk). If you get there on Thurs you'll be more relaxed....we must make sure that we give them feedback for next year.

Did anyone find Weirdigans Cafe and if so was it a welcome haven?

We Weirdigans were stuck in a hidden corner this year and had very few customers but those who did find us seemed to breathe huge sighs of relief at finding a place they could just sit down and chill / chat over a home-made snack and a brew. We did have youngsters in as customers and on our crew (the lovely Kate and Fin are only 18) but we also harbour quite a few over-40's...

Any other festies where you need a break, ask about for Weirdigans... and if you found us and liked us, or didn't find us but would have liked to, it'd be good to hear from you...

I disagree with the comment made above that the alcohol sales on site are required to keep the fessie going....The capacity was doubled this year, if £150 per ticket and 26000 were sold(and having a live in vehicle set me back a further £50) doesn't keep them ticking over, nothing will.

Edited by fingers_mark

All the old websites are still live by the way - 2007's my favourite - no booze allowed in 2006!

It's interesting to see how it's grown..

http://www.secretgardenparty.com/2005/

http://www.secretgardenparty.com/2006/

http://www.secretgardenparty.com/2007/

http://www.secretgardenparty.com/2008/

http://www.secretgardenparty.com/2009/

SGP sent out this by email:

An Apology and An Explanation

Four days of extraordinary happenings were book-ended by two problems with access and egress to the Garden. Thousands of you are sending in messages of warmth and thanks but a good few are also looking for an explanation and an apology for the queues experienced getting in and out of the festival.

First an explanation for Thursday. In contrast to previous years almost every Gardener arrived Thursday afternoon. The ticketing gate had been built to cope with the usual ratio of half the audience arriving on Thursday and half on Friday. A backlog built up very quickly. Security searches then limited the speed at which we could process the tickets and safety requirements ruled that we could not reduce the searches. Despite opening four new lanes to speed up the wrist-banding many of you queued for over three hours.

We cannot apologise enough to those of you who experienced these waiting times. For 2011 the main access gate will have the capacity to process all ticket holders in an efficient and brief manner. This will be the number one priority for Thursday (alongside guaranteeing a mind-blowing party).

Monday morning. A further explanation! The Garden has three exit routes to ensure all traffic can leave smoothly, as has happened in all previous years. At 11am Monday we discovered that a gate had wrongly been locked on the west exit route. By the time we had opened the exit a pool of traffic had built up exiting east. As with the queues on Thursday, this took a while to clear and many of you were again caught in the jam. It will not happen again.

We know for some Gardeners the queues took the shine off your festival; we sincerely hope it did not mar the entire Party.

We are a hundred percent confident that all the problems and niggles of 2010 will be removed next year.

We will not rest until we have perfected the Secret Garden Party.