Wellies or walking boots?

Guest madspaceangel

I see!

Last year the other half bought a pair of Brasher leather boots and says they are bloody brilliant. I can't really afford anything as expensive as that. He tried on quite a few pairs and he said some types were instant sweat boxes. I really want to avoid that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on army surplus type boots? I will need something that comes up and over the ankle, anything cut to go under the ankle ends up crippling me.

I was looking at these.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/bo...ble-488848.html

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need new walking boots! Mine were fine for wandering sunny greece but even with gaitors in Scotland they got soaked, and they were fairly new! Maybe I should opt for actual adult ones this time, rather than taking advantage of my tiny feet!

Walking boots all the way for me. They did a great job in 2005. 2007 I wore walking boots again which kept my feet dry but the dreaded muddy laces was a pain (no gaters). Last year went for wellies and was just relieved that I only needed them the one half day as they were awful, so uncomfy and gave me cramp. Went back to trusty walking boots for Glade and will be doing the same for Glasto. :P

The answer to claggy laces, by the way, is wet wipes.

Use a wet wipe to remove the worst of the mud off the laces. Chuck the whole lot straight in the bin. Then loosen the laces and take off the boots. Then use another couple of wet wipes to wipe your hands clean. Job done.

'course if you're so drunk that you've been falling into ditches, this might be a challenge. At Glasto I like to keep a couple of notches below that level.

Oft debated, never solved. Was my number 1 question in my pre-glasto days (granted, only 2 festivals in, but anyhoo). Multiple page debate, without a definitive answer here too

/index.php?showtopic=83453&hl=walking%20boots">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...walking%20boots

I went for boots, love them. Done 6 festivals, 2 walking holidays and 4 years and are brilliant. Just upgraded to some Meindl goretex/leather and I love them.

It's personal preference, so everyone will have a different opinion. Regardless it's important that the footwear fits properly. I've got both wellies and walking boots that fit me perfectly, but then I took time to try on many different shoes/boots in different shops. Not all boots and not all wellies fitted nicely. Then it comes down to socks, as others have said, get those sock-within-a-sock types for boots or wellies.

Personally I'd rather wear neither wellies nor walking boots. Preferred footwear in the summer is sandals or breathable trail running shoes.

The advantages of wellies is that you can wade through deep puddles and be much less concerned about where you tread. I've switched from walking boots to wellies in 2005 & 2007. The difference was having to carefully plan where I'm stepping with boots, to not a care in the world with wellies. However it's a pain to take both wellies & walking boots and to switch between them, so a good compromise is walking boots alone. As others have said, it's easier to take mud covered wellies off than walking boots.

Bouncy gel insoles and 2 layers of socks (thin inner and thick outer).

Make all the difference.

Wellies, expensive brands like hunters and muckboots will be suggested. Muckboots have the upper made out of wetsuit material. That may be kinder to your ankles.

If you go the boots way, get sealskinz socks or simmilar, they have a waterproof membrane so if you have boot failure you are not totally stuffed. :P

Waterproof fabric walking boots, and gaiters, every time. Wellies are OK for an hour or two, but not for walking/standing all day every day - or at least, not for me. My karrimoor boots are about to do their 4th Glastonbury, plus a lot of walking for the rest of the year, so a decent pair will last you well.

But if you are going to buy some walking boots, don't get them online unless you have tried them on in a real shop first - sizes and widths vary a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty much so, yes they are fitted more for a bit more comfort, but I don't think they are worth it. My £15 Joe bananas with gel insoles are bout the most comfy footware I have ever had! Good enough to skank to dreadzone and the specials last year and still be up for a bit more!

Hunters all the way! Been wearing them to festivals for the last 15 years. Easy to put on and take off (no muddy laces). Why do they cost so much? Hand made, 26 parts in each, steel insole support and built on an`orthopaedic last. Warm and cosy too, dont let the fashionistas stop your foot comfort!

I'm going for a mixture of walking boots and wellies. I have been wearing my boots all day at work to break them in and get the ready for Glastonbury. There isn't long if you need to get the boots and make sure you can walk all day in them.

EDIT: But I am in a Camper so don't need to travel light

Edited by jeanettekaren

• 2 weeks later...

I got my boots yesterday - Merrell Siren Ventilators. They are sooo comfy!

I agree about trying them on though i saw some pairs that looked great but crippled me just walking round the shop!

I am now wearing my boots at work to break them in! :P

I still haven't bought either wellies of walkers.

I tried a lot of boots on the other day but none felt 'right' they were all far to low sided even the 'boot' styles.

I may have a little wellie search next week. I want to try on some Muck Boots and some *collective groan* Hunters. Am a little wary of going for Hunters though lest I look like some festie fashion victim treating the metal walkways like a catwalk opportunity, but I hear that they are rather comfy.

Walking boots for me I think. Memories of blisters with welly's in my youth has put me off for life.

I had some Clarks gortex boots for many years/Glasto's but they finally fell apart at last years Glasto ( I knew I was pushing my luck :P )

Not quite sure which pair to bring in June though :P .

*scratches head and goes off for a ponder...*

Me - I go for wellies as are easier to take off, look better with the clothes that I take & can have fun splashing through the deep puddles! :P Own Hunters & I think they are well worth the money as so very comfy (I normally blister at the sight of a new pair shoes! :P) . Never take my walking boots just wellies, flip flops & plimsols.

My husband - walking boots for most of the time but also his wellies for when it's really muddy.

This is a question with no answer!! Too much personal preference involved!