Wellies or walking boots?

Guest madspaceangel

Last year I took my trusty old dunlop wellies.

They were always comfy enough doing my usual garden plodding, rock pooling, walking the dog all that sort of stuff....

At Glastonbury they turned into torture devices and crippled my right ankle (I have really low ankle bones so I am used to this trouble in some shoes/boots, but didn't expect it from my old wellies)

Should I invest in better socks to pad my ankles out and stick with my wellies or are walking boots the way to go?

If it is the latter, any suggestions on what to avoid when buying new ones? Sadly my old ones died after 10+ years and I don't even know what brand they were.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't dance anyways, so 'wobbly foot wellies' would be an excellent alibi for my suspect moves.

Do you recon if I bought some new boots now I could wear them in enough between now and Glasto?

Luckily last year I didn't need to wear wellies the whole time and wore mt trainers on the nice days. If I had been confined to wellies for the duration I would have gone barefoot.

I just answered my question there didn't i?

Wellies for emergency only!

So any walking boot recommendations? Any brands/types to avoid?

Definately walking boots, they're a lot more sturdy, more support for your feet and ankles, and they don't slide off if you get stuck in mud, leaving you with wet, muddy socks! I recommend double layer walking socks too, they save you getting blisters from rubbing and the inner layer wicks moisture away so you don't get any grief from your feet being damp with sweat. Get them soon though and make sure you wear them in properly, even the comfiest ones need loosening up a bit. Gaiters will protect you if there is deep mud too.

Last year I tried walking boots but no gaiters and trying to undo the mud-clarted laces stood on one leg at 3am on the wrong end of a dozen or so pints of falling-down water wasn't easy.

This year i've invested in a pair of Muckboots and I put em on trial in the snow over January. I reckon they are about the comfiest things i've ever had on me plates.

But it aint, I say AINT, going to rain at all this year is it? So i've also bought myself a pair of walking trainers as my trusty old Nike Air's were about as much use as alcohol free vodka...

Both.

Wellies for any short periods (eg. late night popping to the toilets) when tying up muddy laces is an uneccessary hassle and decent waterproof boots for any longer periods, ie. actually walking round the festival.

Thanks for all the advice.

At the risk of sounding stoopid, what is the difference between much boots and wellies?

I see!

Last year the other half bought a pair of Brasher leather boots and says they are bloody brilliant. I can't really afford anything as expensive as that. He tried on quite a few pairs and he said some types were instant sweat boxes. I really want to avoid that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on army surplus type boots? I will need something that comes up and over the ankle, anything cut to go under the ankle ends up crippling me.

I was looking at these.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/bo...ble-488848.html

I see!

Last year the other half bought a pair of Brasher leather boots and says they are bloody brilliant. I can't really afford anything as expensive as that. He tried on quite a few pairs and he said some types were instant sweat boxes. I really want to avoid that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on army surplus type boots? I will need something that comes up and over the ankle, anything cut to go under the ankle ends up crippling me.

I was looking at these.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/bo...ble-488848.html