Wellies or walking boots?

Guest madspaceangel

I'm in a quandary at the moment ... my old faithful walking boots are no longer waterproof and my old wellies are very old and worn down, so no longer comfy, and my new wellies leak!!!! Got them from an ebay shop and trying to send them back is turning into a mare so I think I'm going to just cut my losses ...

But I'm broke!!! Not good :P

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a quandary at the moment ... my old faithful walking boots are no longer waterproof and my old wellies are very old and worn down, so no longer comfy, and my new wellies leak!!!! Got them from an ebay shop and trying to send them back is turning into a mare so I think I'm going to just cut my losses ...

But I'm broke!!! Not good :P

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any decent (and not crazily priced) gel insoles or alike for extra comfort? I've not done the insole thing before, but considering it this year - I just wasn't sure if they were much of a muchness, though I guess you get what you pay for?

Thanks! :P

i've always used standard issued army boots :P been using them for 12 years, for walking, mountaineering, festivals, gigs never let me down yet...

only 15 quid from a good army surplus shop worth the little money they cost

i'll also probably either get flip flops or go barefoot as well, nothing better spent 6 weeks in a forest climbing in france barefoot lol

They seem quite squishy and stuff! :P

I find it's only after a great number of hours trudging around that my feet began to feel discomfort, and that's only as the sole is quite thin on mine. The sole is thin enough that it can hurt after a while walking on the corrugated metal trackway at Glastonbury. My friends' wellies have a thicker sole, and they've found them quite comfortable, can't feel the bumps in the trackway for example. I guess I've just got cheap wellies though.

Anyway, time will tell this year, but hopefully I don't need to the wellies at all.

Edited by APTID

Does anyone know of any decent (and not crazily priced) gel insoles or alike for extra comfort? I've not done the insole thing before, but considering it this year - I just wasn't sure if they were much of a muchness, though I guess you get what you pay for?

Thanks! :P

You'd be better taking BOTH. if its wet n muddy then the wellies are an absolute must! wear woollen socks inside and try and get insoles to support your feet.

walking boots if its dry. iv seen some folk wearing sandals and noooooo!!! you're in a field ffs lol. all lumps n bumps everywhere!

They dont change the way you walk at all - or didnt with me. Your foot feels cushioned and supported but its more that you notice how less fatigued/achy you are after a decent yomp than anything particular as you are walking. The cheap ones arent worth the money. And you dont want soft and squishy as someone mentioned earlier because that doesnt support your foot for the length of time you need it to.

You'd be better taking BOTH. if its wet n muddy then the wellies are an absolute must! wear woollen socks inside and try and get insoles to support your feet.

walking boots if its dry. iv seen some folk wearing sandals and noooooo!!! you're in a field ffs lol. all lumps n bumps everywhere!

My smaller sized viper boots arrived yesterday, they are going to take some serious breaking in. Any tips on accelerating the process?

After long consideration I bought myself a pair of Hunter's Original short Wellies in black.

They were £39 incl. delivery. They came, I put them on and walked for 8 miles and......

LOVELY. Felt I could do with insoles just to stop my heel from shifting so bought the Aldi

memory foam insole. Now I can walk the 150 miles Glastonbury requires and will not have

to worry about sore or wet feet.

:-)

Went to put new boots on to go on a long country walk with the dog and the flippin lace guide snapped off. I now have to send them back and wait for a replacement.

They are never going to be even remotely broken in at the rate :P