Current Folk bands....

Guest alframsey

Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman, Richard Thompson, Ade Edmundson & The Bad Shepherds.

Mind you, another option would be to consider a Folk Festival as well as Glasto. We've had all the above at the Trowbridge Pump over the last couple of years.

This year they've got Show of Hands, Bellowhead and the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the playlist.

Fionn Regan's got a new album out, finally, on Friday. Can't wait to see him again in February. It's been ages!

Kieran Leonard - four track EP is on spotify. Hopefully he'll play this year. Definitely check him out if you're even vaguely into "angsty, political folk"

Frank Turner, although I'm not convinced about his last album the previous two were brilliant and he's great live.

Edited by sweet and tender hooligan

Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman, Richard Thompson, Ade Edmundson & The Bad Shepherds.

Mind you, another option would be to consider a Folk Festival as well as Glasto. We've had all the above at the Trowbridge Pump over the last couple of years.

This year they've got Show of Hands, Bellowhead and the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain.

I love Kate Rusby. She's probably best known for her theme tune for Jam and Jerusalem - a cover the kinks song that goes : we are the village green preservation society...

Love her album Awkward Annie; highly recommend it!

Good God! Is the (formerly?) Village Pump still going? I last went there when Fairport were doing their first accoustic tour - 1980? A good do, Peewe always got some good bitter in!
Edited by grumpyhack

+1 for the delightful Megson & Jackie Oates

Went to school with Jackie & her brother Doug (aka Jim Moray) - very talented family, parents alike. Both now doing very well and seemingly an up & coming folk force with all those awards under her belt! fingers crossed they make it to Glasto :P

Very much still going strong and growing. Still called the Trowbridge Village Pump. This will be number 37 but actually has been going as long as Glasto (no fallow years).

Now confirmed: The Waterson Family, The Blockheads, Lau, Dreadzone, Show of Hands and friends, The Handsome Family, Jassi Sidhu and many more to be confirmed. Plus cabaret and afternoon folk concerts in new venues.

• 3 weeks later...
BUMP

Just went onto Tunng's website and looked at their tour dates (they have a new album out soon).

They're touring around Europe in the spring, and have penned in a couple of festivals in the summer, but there seems to be a huge Glasto-sized gap in their plans.

I could certainly see them playing - possibly the Acoustic Stage? I think they're probably big enough for a slot during the day on there?

Real Ale and Tunng - t'would be amazing!

Edited by Ricochet

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP

Following on from Ricochet's post, I've bought Tunng's new album and I have to say I think it's marvellous.

The song 'Weekend Away' is a great Glastonbury song. I can just imagine everyone singing along to it at the end. Thursday night at The park would be lovely:

Burning blindly like the sun

Our hearts beat in rhythm all alone

All our wishes are undone

Forget those days, they’ve gone

It’s only a weekend away

It’s only a weekend away

It’s only a weekend away

Let it be beautiful

When we sing the last song

It’s only a weekend away