flag ban

Guest daveinafield

Blow up dolls werent banned, i know this much.

One of my pet hates is finding a nice place in the pit, or the inner circle, and then for the next 20 mins having someone go "can i squeeze past, my mate is just in there".

Maybe this means that people will have to meet up before they go into the pit. Like we always have, by our favourite food stall etc.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the flags at Glasto. I hope they are banned. They totally ruin the view for anyone not standing right at the front. Last year they sort of added to the atmosphere but this year they were ridiculous. Especially when you have such massive acts i.e. Springsteen/Blur where there are bound to be thousands of people standing at that back.

I went with a big group of people this year and we didn't have a problem finding eachother even once and not a single one of us had a flag...

hows about using your eyes? :D

It's not respectful of other people's festival experience to spoil what might be the most important part of their festival (seeing the band they wanted to see) by blocking their view with a flag. Next time it might be your experience that f**ked up by someone else.

Of course, I don't really expect people to go with that, but it remains true all the same.

Leeds this year was a dream at the main stage being able to see the whole of the stage for Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead. The amount of flags at glasto this year was just stupid and every f**ker wanted to be in the pit i was half way back in the pit and in the middle for Blur and still have about 60% of my view blocked, i dont see how a flag makes for a better atmosphere you wouldn't bring one to an indoor gig and ive never had a problem with atmosphere at indoor gigs.

Personally i hope glasto follow suit, they are fine in the campsites but why would you want to bring it to the stage anyway? they must be annoying to hold on to and i can say with certainty there is nothing more annoying than getting a great spot for your favourite band and then someone comes in front of you with a flag and blocks the middle of the stage. Its inconsiderate in my eyes.

Edited by guyfawkes

I know this has been said many times but jut wanted to add the Mr's n me to the list of peoples wanting the falg situation sorted. Ihas got to much, looking back through our pics from 2004 onwards the flags seem to be multiplying ?? When I got home this year to look at our pics of Blur ( who me wife has waited years to see ) we were so P'eed as 75% of them were of FLAGS...

Having recored Glasto we sat down to re live it and Oh you guessed it not decent shots cause of the FLAGS..

Looking at over festival coverage it was god to see no flags and a great view of the bands.

I am 100% behind the flag situation being sorted, I would not be suprised if the BBC were to chip in thier two penny's worth.

Cheers.

Just a thought, for those saying they're not too bad etc. I felt that way last year, they were annoying occasionally, but also kinda cool and atmospheric. Then this year they'd multiplied by a factor of around five, and were more annoying than cool.

This much we know.

But if something isn't done, even just a request not to take flags to stages, then there's no reason to assume they won't multiply again next year, and you'll be coming back here, like I did this year, saying "while the flags were alright last year they were ridiculous this year".

Honestly, if the problem didn't get any worse, I could just about live with it. But it will if something isn't done.

Only time it realy annoyed me was at The Specials. Huge flags in front me and was bobbing my head about to see. I'd ban them at a certain size, but how do you do that at Gastonbury? Not as if you can refuse entry to the arena.

They did it at Reading I think, and no camp chairs were allowed into the arena at T (well done to them).

Dunno what would happen at Glasto thou.

I'm certain that Glastonbury will never ban flags (the quickness of the press release seperating Glasto from MB's policy at Reading/Leeds tells us this)

That said the Beeb will have had a word with the organisers after the problems flags caused them this year (particularly during The Boss) as such I'd expect to see a request that glags aren't put in front of the mixing desk. This will be self policing and I trust the Glasto crowd to do it well.

This won't stop anyone from putting a flag outisde their tent, but will stop the people who stand in front of stage with one to get on the TV. In terms of atmosphere the permanent flags (e.g. those in Jazz World and Pyramid fields) should go someway to make sure that it's still got that Glasto feel.

Fingers crossed.

just adding my thoughts. i always used to like the flags. there were only a few and pretty much always up the front, i didnt mind not seeing the band as i've always been a monitor lurker and could watch the side screens at the pyramid. now the problem is the sheer number. They block even the screens. you cant even get a pint at mandelas and watch the screens now as there are so many. surely they have to go.