overcrowded

Guest rhysieg

I think it's been steadily going up every year since I've been going - 5 years. The first time I went, the last time Oasis played, the main stage was quieter in mid afternoon than it was from the very start of this year's. And walking between the stages and so on has been getting busier each time. But as you say, it didn't spoil my enjoyment.

The capacity seems to have increased steadily over the last few years, by too many I think. I personally couldn't believe how many people arrived early this year. It was rammed. We were in the car park at 10.10am on Friday, but then coldn't find space for our two tents in our favourite camp (Orange).

We ended up in a great spot in green in the end, and had a good weekend in general. I know I am about to receive a load of abuse, but I won't be going back to V next year unless the line-up is supreme. I do think the organisation is pretty shoddy.

A few reasons why I will be branching out:

1 - Chavs

2 - Overcrowding

3 - The main reason - only 2 days of music.

We did have a great time, and I have taken away some good memories, but I will hopefully be going elsewhere next year for some new experiences.

Yeah definitely found it harder walking around. Took me ages to get from one side of the 4Music stage to the other.

Gotta add that after being to 4 U2 gigs this month, it really showed how bad the crowd at V can be. The idiots that throw piss at these things just spoil it for those wanting to enjoy the bands. Not going to let such assholes stop me going though, but think I'll be standing further back away from the crush at future Vs.

I didn't think it seemed any worse than previous years? For a lot of acts, I found it to be quite spacious. I'm sure the weather had a large part to play, but the Arena and Union tents were rarely full - in previous years sometimes you'd be lucky to get in after 5pm!

Only the major acts on the main stages seemed overly crowded. But it didn't seem any worse than any other year to me.

The overcrowding thing for me rerally showed in the arena tent.

After The Streets finished on Saturday, there was an almighty crush at the front where everyone was pushing to try to get to the front to see Lady Gaga.

Now I am not new to being crushed in a crowd. I was at the front for Slipknot at Download this year for goodness sake. But that was ridiculous. There was all these little girls getting pushed around and so many people fainting and screaming cus they were nearly knocked off their feet. It could very easily have got messy had a few people fallen to the ground.

There were people trying to get out from the front and people werent letting them out and the so called security just stood there watching. :)

My friend's phone went missing in the chaos of it all and she went off to report it at the police tent. They said that in the time between The Streets and Lady Gaga, they had just this huge influx of people come in to report things being stolen from pockets and stuff. Just another side effect of overcrowding.

Oasis crowd was epic. I dont think I have ever seen a headliner crowd that big at V before! But then I'm not normally at the back!!! :lol:

Traffic was god awful. Traffic management was the worst I've ever encountered in my life. Well, Milton Keynes Bowl was close!

All in all there did seem to be more people, whether this was due to the nice weather and people being out and about or whether it was V selling too many tickets, I dont know. But it just felt very packed in!!

I didnt think Chelmsford was too bad this year, compared to last year. What does need to change is the idiot that selects the stages for the acts. The streets and GA GA should of been on the C4 stage, swapping places with Katie Perry and the usless Alisha Dixon. Did anybody actually go and see these?

I didn't really notice the over crowding much until I left the C4 stage where I saw Pendulum then via the Union tent to the Main stage. There were people virtually standing in the burger vans it was so packed and that was right at the back.

Ended up going to the left of the main stage about half way down and watched it from there. Left a couple of songs before the end as to not get stuck in the crowd getting back to the tent, which the previous night took ages. I know there is no rush to get back but it was just uncomfortable

To be honest i didn't really notice much overcrowding at any of the stages, but that's probably because i steered clear of acts like Oasis and the Killers in favour of MGMT and 2manyDJs.

In fact, the only annoying crowding i noticed was at the toilets which were woefully inadequate for the volume of people (especially at the 4Music stage) and at the Guinness bar when they were having problems with their gas!!

Chelmsford seemed busier than last year, probably due to all ticket holders getting there for the early acts due to the great weather. There was a potential problem during the transition from The Enemy on 4Music to MGMT in the Arena when they shut the access to the Arena area. Predictably everyone rushed when they eventually opened the gates and I had my feet pretty much flattened in the stampede. It was dangerous and badly marshalled, it's a wonder somebody wasn't hurt.

Similarly, I can't beleive that yet again it was a nightmare getting out of the yellow car park as there was no one to marshall the traffic.

Anyway, not as good a year musically, but still a good weekend camping with friends.

Haven't been to Chelms the past 2 years as have done Weston, but it did feel a lot busier this year. Part of that has to be due to people lounging around more as well though due to the sun. They could do with proper walkways though as trying to get from one side of the 4 stage to the other was ridiculous as you were just stepping over people all the time. The past 2 years at Weston were wet so funnily enough this wasn't a problem there!

The capacity seems to have increased steadily over the last few years, by too many I think. I personally couldn't believe how many people arrived early this year. It was rammed. We were in the car park at 10.10am on Friday, but then coldn't find space for our two tents in our favourite camp (Orange).

We ended up in a great spot in green in the end, and had a good weekend in general. I know I am about to receive a load of abuse, but I won't be going back to V next year unless the line-up is supreme. I do think the organisation is pretty shoddy.

A few reasons why I will be branching out:

1 - Chavs

2 - Overcrowding

3 - The main reason - only 2 days of music.

We did have a great time, and I have taken away some good memories, but I will hopefully be going elsewhere next year for some new experiences.