iPhones

Guest wee_insomniac

news for jailbroken iphones - words of warning:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/32677/iPhon...worm-down-under

A new virus, dubbed the ikee worm, is breaking into iPhones, changing lock screen wallpaper to an image of 80s pop star Rick Astley with the message "ikee is never going to give you up".

Brilliant a hacker with a sense of humour

Edited by 5co77ie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

news for jailbroken iphones - words of warning:

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/32677/iPhon...worm-down-under

A new virus, dubbed the ikee worm, is breaking into iPhones, changing lock screen wallpaper to an image of 80s pop star Rick Astley with the message "ikee is never going to give you up".

Brilliant a hacker with a sense of humour

I'm a bit hesitant to ask this given the above, but....

The sky mobile player is now free to o2 iphone customers for 3 months - but it only works over wifi. I've seen that there's an app that will let it work over 3G, but the phone needs to be jailbroken. I've been thinking about it for a little while, but this is the tipping point i think.

So... can anyone recommend a site that has a beginners guide to jailbreaking? eg How to go about it, I've got a 3GS - does that make a difference, can i still use the app store, can i still sync with itunes etc. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

jailbreaking means you can unleash the power of the iphone, it is locked down in many ways to ensure stability and speed and security. jailbreaking means you can run apps that havent been approved by apple, there is also the advantage of being able to get any app for free if you know where to look. you can also skin the phone, with different themes, some of which are frankly stunning. you need an app called winterboard for that, and its dead easy to use.

The big beauty of jailbreaking is that it it fully reversible, I jailbroke my 3gs, had a faff around, ran some free apps, and about a month later I simply reversed it and now have a non jailbreak iphone. why? I found mine was getting a bit sluggish, and TBH - paying £3.99 for an app doesnt really bother me that much, some of the apps (such as the guardian one) are f**king brilliant, and for the pocket change they cost - you would have to be a right tight c**t to begrudge the developers their pay. tomtom is expensive, but copilot live is f**king brilliant and only £25, and the ability to use it on both mine and the missus new 3gs (from santa) means it has cost us £12 each to have a really good satnav each.

many many gadget sites (such as engadget) highly recommend jailbreaking, simply for the flexibility it gives you, but they are obviously massive geeks, and fully understand the huge flexibility available to jailbreakers, for me it was about getting free apps and a fancy looking interface - and the reality was OK, but not that big of a deal really, so I reversed it.

jailbreaking means you can unleash the power of the iphone, it is locked down in many ways to ensure stability and speed and security. jailbreaking means you can run apps that havent been approved by apple, there is also the advantage of being able to get any app for free if you know where to look. you can also skin the phone, with different themes, some of which are frankly stunning. you need an app called winterboard for that, and its dead easy to use.

The big beauty of jailbreaking is that it it fully reversible, I jailbroke my 3gs, had a faff around, ran some free apps, and about a month later I simply reversed it and now have a non jailbreak iphone. why? I found mine was getting a bit sluggish, and TBH - paying £3.99 for an app doesnt really bother me that much, some of the apps (such as the guardian one) are f**king brilliant, and for the pocket change they cost - you would have to be a right tight c**t to begrudge the developers their pay. tomtom is expensive, but copilot live is f**king brilliant and only £25, and the ability to use it on both mine and the missus new 3gs (from santa) means it has cost us £12 each to have a really good satnav each.

many many gadget sites (such as engadget) highly recommend jailbreaking, simply for the flexibility it gives you, but they are obviously massive geeks, and fully understand the huge flexibility available to jailbreakers, for me it was about getting free apps and a fancy looking interface - and the reality was OK, but not that big of a deal really, so I reversed it.

Edited by oafc0000

They dont contain virus...currently there are 2 virus' developed for the iphone. One rick-rolls you. The other is more dangerous but both stem from you not changing your privacy settings after a jailbreak.

The main reason ive heard of them crashing is just corrupt apps or bad apps downloaded from cydia. You just need to know what to click on and what not to click on, its fairly easy if you read into it a bit.

On a similar note...broke my iphone out yesterday :P

Ive got your standard stuff...SBSettings, Categories, Winterboard etc. etc. What else is good? i have Cydia and Rock and Installous to get my apps and plugins from, any ideas? :P

• 3 months later...

Love my iphone, To be honest i would not own one if i couldn't jailbreak it.

Free apps, the ability to change anything i wont with the phone, and the main reason; i can download emulators!!

Currently playing Pokemon silver.

Overall i have saved myself hundreds of pounds from jailbreaking.

Love my iphone, To be honest i would not own one if i couldn't jailbreak it.

Free apps, the ability to change anything i wont with the phone, and the main reason; i can download emulators!!

Currently playing Pokemon silver.

Overall i have saved myself hundreds of pounds from jailbreaking.

not read this thread properly so might have missed this but -

Hipstamatic - take 'Lomo' pics with the camera. really cool retro pics without theeffort of a slide film Lomo/holga camera.

also:

itunes remote

Sky remote

what's app instant messenger

I can has cheezburger - if u like pics of cats with captions :P

thetrainline (train times etc.)