glastonbury security, are they changing the festival?

Guest wweerr208

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year I arrive with at least one new comer. They are suprised they don't see more naked people and are overjoyed when they see one. I guess it's because of the preconception of what is expected at Glastonbury - naked hippies everywhere sort of thing.

The festival needs to clarify this to the ticketholders, if they don't want people to be naked (don't have a problem with it myself) then they should make it clear on the website or in the guide or something. If they don't mind it, then the security should let them do it.

It's a shame if people can't go naked at Glastonbury any more, it's part of it's history, part of what people hear about long before they experience it. The only nakedness I saw during the weekend was a small child in the tipi field and a woman in the Tiny Tea Tent who was topless, didn't offend me in the least, there is a difference between nudity and sexual behaviour, which, tbh, would only concern me if children were around.

How times have changed. It's a far cry from the early years of Glastonbury in the 70's when nudity was very commonplace. People dancing about naked, led about naked, walking naked, etc. From the footage I've seen of it in Glastonbury films. I seen a couple of naked women walking around the site as recently as 2005. But since then haven't seen any other naked people walking about (outside of the saunas and showers). Nudity at Glasto is very rare now. Did see a topless women walking about this year though. Wonder if she was stopped by security or arrested?

Just as well the proposed Efests Naked Walk didn't go ahead in the end. As we may well have found ourselves all arrested!

So is nudity at Glasto actually strictly prohibited/against the law now? Or should that security guy have just left them alone?

If nudity at Glasto is strictly not permitted, it would be a good idea if they could introduce a proper naturist field for next years onwards.

as others have said, you always tihnk of glastonbury as the ;original hippy festival'

people doing as they please, a bit dirty, naked people etc

things change, its more commercial than it was back then, hence charging ripoff prices for poor quality food etc

should just be left alone imo

That's pretty sad really :D Not somerthing that I would ever do at Glasto (pauses for a round of applause and "thank fcuk for that" stylee comments from everyone :D) but it's no problerm at all is it ? OK, maybe at the pyramid stage or near the kids field would be a tad inappropriate but otherwise not at all and that looks like Trash City so not exactly full of kids etc. Unfortunately, I suspect the Police would have done similar had they been there despite the fact that it isn't actually illegal and no laws were being broken. It's not "indecent" and nor does it constitute a "Breach of the Peace" stylee offence either so even the Police technically have no right to prevent simple public nudity or take action as I understand the legal situation except perhaps in the case where an official complaint has been made by a member of the public.

The Crowded House and Specialized Security thing was brilliant tho and so funny at the time :D

PS: I think it would be a very good idea if the OP could pixelate the faces of the nudists in the video though to avoid embarassment or potentially other problems arising from having filmed them and put it in the public domain. I'm kinda surprised that the security guys didn't prevent filming TBH, they normally wont allow themselves to be photograhed or filmed on duty going by other peeps attempts to record seemingly dodgy situations in the past.

Edited by mikeb

Was sad to hear about the person getting arrested for nudity this year. I'm a naturist and after setting up my tent on Wednesday, spoke to the people camping around me and said I'm a naturist, do you mind? They all said no so I nuded up, had a lovely sunbathe and was always nude from that moment on while around my camping ground in Pennards Hill. Everyone was so cool about it and I got to chat with some very friendly people.

At one point, when it rained on was it Friday morning? I stood out in the rain letting it give me an inpromtu shower and two police men walked past! They gave me a couple of looks but as they could see that I was chatting with my neighbours while stood there in the lovely rain, I guess they didn't see anything wrong in it and didn't say a word, which was nice! Have wandered around the festival nude in past years but not sure I'd feel safe doing it now...

What a muppet that guy is with the famous line 'just doing my job sir', in my opinion f*&k off and do your job somewhere else. I hope that this is a minority of the security but i think that may be a bit hopeful judging by other things I saw & heard.

Didnt see the protest naked man this year or last if i remember.

The rule book will start to get very heavy very quickly if someone doesnt take a hold of this sort of thing. Fair enough the hippy ideals of yesteryear are fading but when you go to a fest like Glastonbury the idea is still that of a 'Free Party' i.e. you are free to do and be what or who you want for 5 days.

The only rules that should apply should be those that protect the farm & the future of the fest. No glass & take your shit home with you.

Everything else is pretty fair game or should be as long as it is not up in others faces.

P.