glastonbury security, are they changing the festival?

Guest wweerr208

Given that there is a World Naked Bike Ride event every June which is routed all over Central London with well over 800 riders and is supported by the police, I don't see why the police should have any problem with the odd few people who wish to walk naked around the Glastonbury festival site. As long as they're not performing anything sexual or explicit and they're not causing any trouble, then what harm are they doing?

Edited by Vectrex

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that there is a World Naked Bike Ride event every June which is routed all over Central London with well over 800 riders and is supported by the police, I don't see why the police should have any problem with the odd few people who wish to walk naked around the Glastonbury festival site. As long as they're not performing anything sexual or explicit and they're not causing any trouble, then what harm are they doing?

I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be nice if some of the Glastonbury spirit could be exported to society at large. Instead of worrying about modern life encroaching on the festival, can we not make the wider community a more tolerant and friendly place?

ok, that's it.

i pulled out of the naked meet this year for personal reasons and i'm led to believe it fell apart anyway. next year i'm bloody well doing it. who's in?

i have a right to get my fat bits out for the world to giggle at if i feel like it and by jeebus i'm gonna use it before it's taken away.

ok, that's it.

i pulled out of the naked meet this year for personal reasons and i'm led to believe it fell apart anyway. next year i'm bloody well doing it. who's in?

i have a right to get my fat bits out for the world to giggle at if i feel like it and by jeebus i'm gonna use it before it's taken away.

ok, that's it.

So .... if you don't want Glastonbury turning into the bland safeness that is much of the modern world then you need to be fighting against that bland and safe society that some would like. We have allowed ourselves to walk into a managed-by-govts scenario, where each restriction exists only so that criticism from any misfortune can't be directed at the govt; we either need to start to reject the total management of our lives and environment to allow us to explore our lives and ourselves, or accept that's the way we're going and give up on expectations of anything being outside that safe and managed world.
Edited by shiveringsky

Exactly this.

It's been winding me up alot lately seeing so many people complaining and doing absoultely nothing to change it. It's good to have a sounding board, like this forum for example, where we can vocalise our thoughts, but if we want actual change then we need to take our passions somewhere that it matters. Make people listen. We can all mutter, mumble and groan amongst ourselves at the unfair changes happening in society and thus at Glastonbury, but so long as we do just that; complain and wait for someone else to do something about it, then the world we live in will become smaller and more restrictive day by day.

There are so many eloquent and intelligent people around here and I think it would be an awful shame if we didn't all do something proactive to secure a better world.

*end rant*

To get off my arse and do something about it. I don't know where to start, so I am starting from scratch. This means writing letters and emails to local council members and relevant parties. I've even been researching the law a bit more. There is such a huge gap in my knowledge about nearly everything in life. I've flitted through so much, just existing. But I am tired of being battered around by other people's agendas. I am sick of making compromises about my lifestyle based on the inconsiderate and judgemental beahviours of others. This is my planet too. This is my life and unless I am directly hurting someone then I believe I should have the righ to live it as I see fit. There is nothing to be ashamed about in nudity is there? We were all born naked, so I really dont see what is so inappropriate about it. I personally don't want to go around naked but that doesn't mean I should have the right to stop others doing so. If something offends your taste, that alone doesn't make it a crime. I wouldn't throw Lady GaGa into the clink just 'cos I think she's a pretentious knobend.

I dont have the answers LRW, I just know that I won't find them by wishing for a better world.

As far as I know, public nudity is only an offence if intended to shock or offend, or if it causes a public disturbance, neither of which is likely in this case. All I can assume is that security had some sort of instructions from Glastonbury Festivals, misinterpreted instructions or took it upon themselves to do this. Surely the best thing to do is to raise with GF?

I see nothing wrong with it at all and have done it myself many years ago (though I think I'd be a bit self-conscious to walk naked somewhere as crowded as Glastonbury)

Really what is the issue with nudity? I think we should be told.

Must say, it does piss me off, the securities anti-nude vibe. I've been to every Glastonbury since 93 and been nude at every one. People can still go nude in the sauna areas. I didn't do the saunas this year but did see quite a few people lying naked on the grass within the sauna area, enjoying the sunny weather.

I've always loved that at Glastonbury I have had the freedom to be totally myself. For whatever reason this year though, I just didn't feel comfortable wandering around nude so kept it to my camping area, without any complaints from anyone. I'm with you on the nude wander next year scaryclairey, we'll show the establishment!

As for the couple of people saying why are naturists all fatties and men. That's, no pun intended, bollocks! And even if that were the case, so what!? I went on the London naked bike ride for the 3rd time this year. Over 1200 naked people of all shapes, sizes and sexes, riding through the city, protesting to raise awareness of safety on the roads, over dependence on oil and body freedom, all very naked, very different shapes and all very happy! As the great George Clinton once said, "Free your mind and your ass will follow...!"

I met that couple and they were both very pleasant and were causing nobody any harm. They were happy to pose for a photo with my mate.

I pity anyone who is offended by nudists and those security were a bunch of jobsworths - "just doing my job", my arse, enjoying your 5 day power trip more like.

While I'd agree that Glastonbury is changing, I'd say that those changes are being forced on it by 'the outside' rather than being changes that are being driven from within.

Think about it .... over the last 20 years, the subcultures that used to be at Glastonbury have in the main faded away; smoking has become a social no-no; from that, smoking dope is less common; while drinking has now replaced illicit drug-taking as the drug of choice at festivals, drinking is starting to be frowned on; etc, etc, etc.

Glastonbury is not leading these changes within society, it's having these changes forced on it by wider society, and if wants to stay on the right side of the law it has to go along with them.

So .... if you don't want Glastonbury turning into the bland safeness that is much of the modern world then you need to be fighting against that bland and safe society that some would like. We have allowed ourselves to walk into a managed-by-govts scenario, where each restriction exists only so that criticism from any misfortune can't be directed at the govt; we either need to start to reject the total management of our lives and environment to allow us to explore our lives and ourselves, or accept that's the way we're going and give up on expectations of anything being outside that safe and managed world.

Great post

And another.

I find this thread rather bemusing in the context of many other threads since the festival. Im prepared to accept the security staff in the video made a bad call rather than were directed to do so by the festival. Whilst Id disagree with the call they made, they appeared to be fairly good natured about it all and I can understand why they might feel uncomfortable being filmed. But let's put that behaviour in a different context.

Since I got back, Ive read numerous posts about people wanting much more interventionist stewarding and security - a lot of posters seem to want a huge list of rules and regulations about what is and isn't acceptable at the festival. Apparently we should have more stewarding of where people pitch their tents. Apparently we should have more stewarding of where people are and aren't allowed to sit in a chair (with H & S cited as a reason oodles of times). Apparently we should have more stewarding of how many flags are allowed at the stages, where they should be flown and what size they should be. Apparently we should have more stewarding about what time you can and cant arrive on site, staggering the festival depending on what day and time your ticket says you can arrive. Apparently we need more stewarding of the railway track at night after bands finish. Apparently we need more stewarding and security at taps so that people dont wash their hair.

It seems churlish to be criticising stewards and security for taking a more interventionist attitude whilst such a huge proportion of punters are demanding that they do. If people are so troubled by crowds, by chairs, by flags, by tents and by taps, Id say it was a fairly safe bet they'd be troubled by pubic displays of nudity. Dont blame the festival for delivering the totally controlled environment a lot of people seem to be demanding as part of their festival experience