Dad rock? What a load of c***?

Guest airwaves

Pre-festival this board had lots of comments about there being too much 'dad rock' at this year's Glasto, particularly aimed at the bookings of Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

As a member of the 'dad rock' fraternity and happy to be, at 57, regarded as a 'grumpy old man' I'd just like to comment POST-festival on the reality of what happened this weekend.

In essence this year's Glasto crowd, OF ALL AGES, recognised quality.

I've just been catching some of the Neil and Bruce BBC coverage that I recorded over the weekend and it's clear that massive numbers turned up for both gigs [unlike Isle of Wight where I saw it reported that Neil's set had one of the smallest crowds of the weekend (I presume they mean for the headliners) with large numbers leaving the field after Simple Minds].

This clearly wasn't the case for the quality Glasto music fans.

Furthermore, speaking as someone who was in the thick of it for both Neil and Bruce (about 15 foot from barrier, middle line for both) there is no way at all that the crowd could be described as being full of 'dads' - in fact quite the opposite. I thought I pretty much knew a fair proportion of Neil's repetoire but I was frankly personally embarrassed by how much more of it was known by many of the 'youngsters' around me who were lustilly singing their hearts out to most tracks.

So lets forget this 'dad rock' tag and just recognise quality for what it is - quality.

PS Although I am (maybe) part of the 'dad rock' fraternity I also thouroughly enjoyed barrier hugging for Blur's set also - this age thing can work both ways!!!!!!!!

I quite agree..it was great to see so many people of all ages enjoying the bands. There was a group of people in their twenties with air guitars near me having a great time when Status Quo were on. I thought Neil Young was fantastic and was singing along and dancing with a guy young enough to be my son. When Bruce was on, I noticed behind me several women who must have been in their sixties singing and dancing while in front of me a group of teenagers were doing the same. I went to see Echo and the Bunnymen on Sunday as they were one of my favourite bands in the 80s. I got chatting to a young guy of about 18 who had just discovered them and he absolutely loved them. When they had finished we hugged each other as we both thought they were amazing. It really doesn't matter how old an artist or band are, if its good music, thats all that matters!

As a 24 year old I have to admit that the so called "Dad Rock" blew the more modern bands out of the water this year. In my view only Blur could compete with Bruce and it made a brilliant change from last year which was more about the newer acts. I hope that some of the people who criticised with such closed minds pre-festival were persuaded to watch and will embrace whatever we're treated to in 2010

Everyone I talked to raved about rolf, tom, bruce, neil, the tap (the majesty...of rock) and so on. My favourite moment of the festival HAD to be madness, a band I have never particularly liked (they ruined my school trip by filming the house of fun video at great yarmouth funfair and half the place being shut, I have my reasons :huh:)

The oldies kicked it

it is dad rock, but who cares about labels anyway? if u like it, u like it regardless.

however i did notice a distinct LACK of bruce and neil chatter. i admit i was thankful, but thought most folk would be chatting about seeing em as it was a big thing this year.