Trash City, Shangri-La and Arcadia

Guest staggerlee

I stupidly went about an hour after Brooooce finished and queued for a half hour down the never-ending tunnel of doom... got into Shangri-La and it was like being on a commuter train at rush hour - unbelievably unpleasantly crowded. I enjoyed seeing all the bits and pieces mentioned above in full swing, but to be honest by the time we had moseyed (or been squashed through) to Arcadia, having not been let in to the 50s diner due to overcrowding, and then spent 10 minutes listening to some random rap act while being pulled hither and yon by a seething mass of humanity, we threw in the towel and admitted defeat.

So, basically, despite knowing that you're not meant to go right after the headliner finishes, that's pretty much what I did and I got spanked hard for it.

The aching feet didn't help.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shangri La was fantastic. Vodka and red bull was cheap as (somehow i acquired a few free drinks from a bartender whom i think may of liked me) and then i found a tent devoted to Tequilla! thats the last i remember .....

I went to Trash City on fri night/sat morning about 130am as all my friends were suffering from not having slept for the previous 48hrs and went to bed so I went on my own. there was a reasonably long queue to get in and I managed to get stuck in the middle of a group of very drunk lads who just kept shouting push push whenever the queue paused so it was a little scary but once in there it was just as amazing as last year.

I think it was even busier though and I had great difficulty even getting off the path such was the crush of people I felt I was carried round by the crowd and had to wait for a gap to dive out. there were massive queues to get in everywhere so didn't bother going in anywhere and made my way out through Avalon as couldn't get through to Shangri la or Arcadia. It was an amzing atmosphere though and it was lovely to wander through

I went to Trash City on fri night/sat morning about 130am as all my friends were suffering from not having slept for the previous 48hrs and went to bed so I went on my own. there was a reasonably long queue to get in and I managed to get stuck in the middle of a group of very drunk lads who just kept shouting push push whenever the queue paused so it was a little scary but once in there it was just as amazing as last year.

As a noob, I think the highlight of my festival was the few hours I spent in Trash City/SL on the Friday night. Up until this point I was thinking to myself 'so it's got more variety than all the other festivals I've been too, but nothing that really sets it apart'. Those thoughts were quickly washed away in the sleaze pit that was Trash City. The queue to SL was a bit of a ball ache but only took me about 20 mins to get in. Big shout out to the band that played Trash City on Fri night/Sat morn and made Marylin Manson seem like Westlife! :lol:

The drum machine was amazing! Loved it. My husband and I were stewarding by the Beard Parlour on Thursday which was a hoot - cheers for the free "Musketeer" guys. Shame Bassline Circus wasn't open on Thurs night as we were due to work in there, but ended up just wandering around Arcadia and Shangrila, which frankly as work goes was a pretty good shift :lol:

Intended to spend far more time down Shangrila, but as there was just toooooo much to see and do in the rest of the fest, didn't go there after Thursday night.

That's the joy of Glasto, you leave wanting more...until next year

Last year Trash City totally blew me away, I was expecting something similar this year in Trash City/Arcadia but OMG they have totally taken it to the next level. It’s like something you would expect to see in a decent themepark but better and with lots of fire effects. Was truly amazed at the effort gone too for 3 nights.

Snake pit was awesome :lol:

what that the act called the 'wrong strip' with the rather disturbing ending?

did you see the two catholic schoolgirl-strippers?

Did anybody catch the pole-dancers on the main hub of Shangri-La about 11.30pm Fri/Sat/Sun? (I was working in SL, i'm not that much of a perve lol)

or the strange monster things that shuffled around on their long-arms?

or the coup of the mayor, when he was shot by some rebels?

trash city, arcadia and shangri-la were undoubtedly my favourite part of the whole festival and probably the best thigng i have ever seen. keep up the good work is all i can say i guess. i absolutely loved it and pretty much saw all of it.

they should plough as much money and effort into it as possible, it is literally the greatest idea ever. my dad described it best when questioning me about it.#

"like 3 music-focussed theme parks" what could be better?!

I thought Shangri-la was incredible this year - the Badlands streets were just such a fabulous concept all round, just like being in Bladerunner!

Actually The Snake Pit bore an uncanny resemblence to Chews Eye Works featured in that very film...

anybody know the name of that bar down some steps to the left off the railway, just before you get to the entrance to Shangri-La? i thought i'd imagined it last year and was relieved to find it again, but i still have no idea what it is.

Saw Mick Jones playing with some band in there, got in just as they were starting Should I Stay or Should I Go. Have a vague memory of going up to him when he was getting off stage and shouting at him to get back up and play London Calling. "GO ON!! I'LL SING!!" He was very nice considering I was totally tonto at the time.

After that I remember a stall/stage with Keith Allen calling people c**ts from the stage and the guy who played Neil in the Office on lead vocals in the band.

Glasto eh?!