Terrible (Read and have your say)

Guest Into my Arms

Glastonbury is not a spiritual, mellow experience, lets get that straight now. It is a dirty, commercial hole serving only to make money.

The prices were so expensive I found myself eating chips for tea every night, nice one Eavis I hope you enjoyed your caviar.

Now for the hippies.

I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating her poor kid. All you could see were his/her (sex inderterminable) short little legs peeping from this ridiculously overloaded pram. The amount of kids I saw crying at that festival was unbelievable. They don't like it so give up the dream and stay at home, or get a babysitter. Your kids should come before your lazy hedonistic vibe chasing. And as for the four year old boy waving a fire candle and then getting bollocked by the very hippy who gave it to him, dont get me started!

Going back to the greed of Michael Eavis and the organisers. There were blatantaly too many people in that toxic field for it to be safe and even close to comfortable for the £180 paying punters. But who cares when the more you cram in the more money they make. The bottom line is they dont care about your experience.

And where were the cleaners on site? I've seen less rubbish on a tip. It was like dancing in a Chinese landfill site. The bonfires full of plastic were disgusting too. But with next to no steward or police presence around the festival, who could stop that. Of course, Eavis wouldn't want to jeapordise his precious arrest figures by paying for extra police presence now would he.

The best festival ever, lower crime, doesn't he say that every year? Obviously when you rely on citizens arrests the figures will be rather low!

Now back to how commerical the festival is, brace yourself for this - seriously.

When I went to one of the little markets by the circus field, I saw a lovely decorated tin, with pieces of mirror and other colourful intricacies on it. It was a set of three and at £6 I thought it was very reasonable and that I would be helping out a small business. Then the bombshell struck. The sellers tired looking nine year old daughter, who was also serving, spilled the beans. After I asked her who made them, thinking I was prompting a proud exclamation of "my gran" or "aunt Pearl" she looked to her mother, with a slightly confused "I cant remember if I am allowed to say this" look on her face and blurted out "my mum gets them from India". Ha! a bloody sweatshop in India! Embarrassed, her mother turned to me and muttered sheepishly "...er yes, a little family I know in India." A family I know? how many Somerset families do you know with friends in Bombay?

I live for music and wanted to go to what I thought was the biggest celebration of music on the planet. But this was not good. I'm glad I've been however and there were definately snippets of fun. I met some fantastic people and when I wasnt getting crushed to death due to Eavis cramming far too many people in, I saw some great music.

What do you think?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glastonbury is not a spiritual, mellow experience, lets get that straight now. It is a dirty, commercial hole serving only to make money.

The prices were so expensive I found myself eating chips for tea every night, nice one Eavis I hope you enjoyed your caviar.

Now for the hippies.

I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating her poor kid. All you could see were his/her (sex inderterminable) short little legs peeping from this ridiculously overloaded pram. The amount of kids I saw crying at that festival was unbelievable. They don't like it so give up the dream and stay at home, or get a babysitter. Your kids should come before your lazy hedonistic vibe chasing. And as for the four year old boy waving a fire candle and then getting bollocked by the very hippy who gave it to him, dont get me started!

Going back to the greed of Michael Eavis and the organisers. There were blatantaly too many people in that toxic field for it to be safe and even close to comfortable for the £180 paying punters. But who cares when the more you cram in the more money they make. The bottom line is they dont care about your experience.

And where were the cleaners on site? I've seen less rubbish on a tip. It was like dancing in a Chinese landfill site. The bonfires full of plastic were disgusting too. But with next to no steward or police presence around the festival, who could stop that. Of course, Eavis wouldn't want to jeapordise his precious arrest figures by paying for extra police presence now would he.

The best festival ever, lower crime, doesn't he say that every year? Obviously when you rely on citizens arrests the figures will be rather low!

Now back to how commerical the festival is, brace yourself for this - seriously.

When I went to one of the little markets by the circus field, I saw a lovely decorated tin, with pieces of mirror and other colourful intricacies on it. It was a set of three and at £6 I thought it was very reasonable and that I would be helping out a small business. Then the bombshell struck. The sellers tired looking nine year old daughter, who was also serving, spilled the beans. After I asked her who made them, thinking I was prompting a proud exclamation of "my gran" or "aunt Pearl" she looked to her mother, with a slightly confused "I cant remember if I am allowed to say this" look on her face and blurted out "my mum gets them from India". Ha! a bloody sweatshop in India! Embarrassed, her mother turned to me and muttered sheepishly "...er yes, a little family I know in India." A family I know? how many Somerset families do you know with friends in Bombay?

I live for music and wanted to go to what I thought was the biggest celebration of music on the planet. But this was not good. I'm glad I've been however and there were definately snippets of fun. I met some fantastic people and when I wasnt getting crushed to death due to Eavis cramming far too many people in, I saw some great music.

What do you think?

Now for the hippies.

What do you think?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, folks.

Can I just ask the OP what they were expecting?

A lot of the arguments you raise are unbelievably narrow minded and wholly ignorant. Some are perfectly valid, and others have commented on them on other threads.

As for the 'vastly overpriced' comment, I will say that you didn't look very hard to find some decent food. One of the best things about Glastonbury is the quality and variety of the food, and many outlets offer good food for acceptable prices.

I also see you only registered a week before the festival. You obviously have a lot of strong opinions - did you take the time between registering and going to the festival to find out some 'secret gems of info' from people who have been going for decades? That's what these boards are best at, and it's also where I have received some quite brilliant pieces of advice - which places get crowded, which don't, what stalls to recommend/avoid, bargains, rip offs, etc etc.

It's a huge site, and where there are good places, there will be shit ones. The same with the people - some are lovely, some are w**kers. That's just the way it goes.

You can find almost anything you want on site. If you look with a negative eye, sure there are lots of bad things. Use the other eye and look at the positives, they far outweigh any bad things. Oh and don't forget you're allowed to bring as much food/drink as you like & you can always go to a smaller stage and get as near to the front as you like. Open your eyes man.

My last contribution to any negative thread - Thankyou.

Now for the hippies.

What do you think?

To summarise my post above for people who have short attention spans and have to reply with deep incites such as shush or twit:

Dirty

Burning plastic fires

Hippies selling goods from Indian sweatshops

Hippies sufficating their children with excessive loads over them on their pram in extreme heat.

Hippies allowing there 4 year olds to carry fire sticks.

Not narrow minded, just what I saw...I'm actually very open minded and after five days at the festival consider my opinion to be informed and objective.

To summarise my post above for people who have short attention spans and have to reply with deep incites such as shush or twit:

Dirty

Burning plastic fires

Hippies sufficating their children with excessive loads over them on their pram in extreme heat.

Not narrow minded, just what I saw...I'm actually very open minded and after five days at the festival consider my opinion to be informed and objective.

Dirty

Burning plastic fires

Dirty

Burning plastic fires

Do you know what a hippy is?

I don't claim to have ever seen one in my 17 years on earth. I highly doubt you have to :lol:

Dirty

Burning plastic fires

I love the phrase "I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating herpoor kid".

So the film of that policeman killing that bloke who was just passing in London, or maybe the famous images of concentration camp victims or maybe even that monk setting fire to himself, or that bloke standing off against tanks in China was slightly less upsetting than a woman at Glasto with a heavily loaded pram ....

And with regards to the greed of the organisers - you really don't know about what or how the festival is financed for do you?

Edited by sifimaster

I love the phrase "I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating herpoor kid".

So the film of that policeman killing that bloke who was just passing in London, or maybe the famous images of concentration camp victims or maybe even that monk setting fire to himself, or that bloke standing off against tanks in China was slightly less upsetting than a woman at Glasto with a heavily loaded pram ....

That's absolute bollocks. You CHOSE to eat chips - bought from a crapmonger near the Pyramid, no doubt, becuase you couldn't find anything better than that? You couldn't manage to wander up to the Greenfields and find places that do massive plates of fresh, organic, home-cooked food for a few quid? Take Permaculture for example. £3.50 for a massive plate of lentil dahl and rice with fresh salad grown on site. Vegetable pakoras made with veg grown on site for £1. A big slice of homemade cake for £1. And you ate a bag of chips every night that must have cost you at least £3?! I feel sorry for you mate...

That's absolute bollocks. You CHOSE to eat chips - bought from a crapmonger near the Pyramid, no doubt, becuase you couldn't find anything better than that? You couldn't manage to wander up to the Greenfields and find places that do massive plates of fresh, organic, home-cooked food for a few quid? Take Permaculture for example. £3.50 for a massive plate of lentil dahl and rice with fresh salad grown on site. Vegetable pakoras made with veg grown on site for £1. A big slice of homemade cake for £1. And you ate a bag of chips every night that must have cost you at least £3?! I feel sorry for you mate...