Terrible (Read and have your say)

Guest Into my Arms

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta say i hope OP never goes back to glasto. sounds like a right idiot. Eavis is better off without them.

i agree sum food was expensive, HOWEVER its the recession... and there were cheaper stuff about. im a fussy eater and didnt sample food really. stuck to basic stuff. next year ill live @ the vegan place tho.

Eavis doesn't personally make money from the sale of food and does not set the prices himself. And really chips is one of the more expensive ways to eat at Glasto, look about a bit more you can find some really good, reasonably priced food. :)

A few things...

Near the Other Stage, around Bon Iver/Glasvegas time, there were quite a few people pissing against the wall between the stage and the bar. There was also a copper watching them. He did nothing about it whatsoever. He wandered off after about twenty minutes. This would not happen at V. Pissing against walls is far far more common place there but if the coppers spot it happening then they will move people on mid-stream.

Kids. Loads about. Those in the Jazz World/Cabaret/Circus areas all looked fairly happy and content. There was often no-one obviously looking after them but maybe they were being watched from afar. I would have felt uncomfortable doing the same with my own kids but fair play to their parents for having the confidence in the surroundings to be able to let them off the hook a little.

Chairs. Complete pain in the arse in busy areas.

Food. Loads of good stuff about. I made do with a giant cornish pasty each day (cos pies are just great) at £3.70 a shot. There's nowt wrong with chips though if thats what people want.

Hey come on give the OP a break, I get where they're coming from in a way. I've read all the other complaining threads and the same trivial themes come up. What I think the OP hints at though is a fair point, that for a lot of people who've never been or perhaps been once a few years ago, Glasto doesn't have a clearly-defined image any more.

There's the famous old "hippie" image everyone still has in their head, then the next popular image is of the wall-jumping days, so when people turn up now you're kinda half expecting this, half expecting that, and when it turns out as neither you just end up looking round thinking "oh, right..." It comes across these days as trying to sell itself on everything, as a big band festival and a small one. First-timers don't know what to actually expect. You can't go eating in the Green Fields all the time unless you're happy to miss stuff on the main stages, which it sounds like the OP was there for. It's so bloody big he'd have to miss bands he's come for to get a decent cheap plate of food. That's the guy's point and I think it's fair.

I think it's easy to come across as sounding like a whinger who can't just go with the flow, but it's a fair reaction to turn up to this years and see so many people even in the "quiet" bits and feel a bit disappointed that the famous old Glasto vibe isn't really "there". I appreciate people have given good advice about spots to go but there's only so much you can take in before your first visit, when it blows your mind and you spend half your time looking at a map.

As long as it keeps expanding there'll always be people like the OP turning up who just can't get a picture of what to expect, and end up disappointed when what it is, isn't actually what it's sold as.

I remember the feeling of confusion on what met me my first time and my girlfriend felt the same this year, so just sticking up for the guy a bit. (And I'm a fairy-tattooed pacifist who lives in the quiet bits) :lol:

Eavis has to make money. Last year he didn't even break even on the festivals costs, so don't go ranting about the ticket price costs.

Eavis doesn't price the food, its businesses that pay for a pitch and then they charge whatever prices they want, as they have a captive market. If you don't want to pay for the food, take your own stuff with you.

You aren't the only person at the festival, and if a band is good, there will be a huge crowd. Live with it, i personally enjoy bigger crowds, because it makes for atmosphere, and you are sharing enjoyment with other people. Also, with bigger crowds, the band will be more energized.

There's the famous old "hippie" image everyone still has in their head, then the next popular image is of the wall-jumping days, so when people turn up now you're kinda half expecting this, half expecting that, and when it turns out as neither you just end up looking round thinking "oh, right..." It comes across these days as trying to sell itself on everything, as a big band festival and a small one. First-timers don't know what to actually expect. You can't go eating in the Green Fields all the time unless you're happy to miss stuff on the main stages, which it sounds like the OP was there for. It's so bloody big he'd have to miss bands he's come for to get a decent cheap plate of food. That's the guy's point and I think it's fair.

Glastonbury is not a spiritual, mellow experience, lets get that straight now. It is a dirty, commercial hole serving only to make money.

The prices were so expensive I found myself eating chips for tea every night, nice one Eavis I hope you enjoyed your caviar.

Now for the hippies.

I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating her poor kid. All you could see were his/her (sex inderterminable) short little legs peeping from this ridiculously overloaded pram. The amount of kids I saw crying at that festival was unbelievable. They don't like it so give up the dream and stay at home, or get a babysitter. Your kids should come before your lazy hedonistic vibe chasing. And as for the four year old boy waving a fire candle and then getting bollocked by the very hippy who gave it to him, dont get me started!

Going back to the greed of Michael Eavis and the organisers. There were blatantaly too many people in that toxic field for it to be safe and even close to comfortable for the £180 paying punters. But who cares when the more you cram in the more money they make. The bottom line is they dont care about your experience.

And where were the cleaners on site? I've seen less rubbish on a tip. It was like dancing in a Chinese landfill site. The bonfires full of plastic were disgusting too. But with next to no steward or police presence around the festival, who could stop that. Of course, Eavis wouldn't want to jeapordise his precious arrest figures by paying for extra police presence now would he.

The best festival ever, lower crime, doesn't he say that every year? Obviously when you rely on citizens arrests the figures will be rather low!

Now back to how commerical the festival is, brace yourself for this - seriously.

When I went to one of the little markets by the circus field, I saw a lovely decorated tin, with pieces of mirror and other colourful intricacies on it. It was a set of three and at £6 I thought it was very reasonable and that I would be helping out a small business. Then the bombshell struck. The sellers tired looking nine year old daughter, who was also serving, spilled the beans. After I asked her who made them, thinking I was prompting a proud exclamation of "my gran" or "aunt Pearl" she looked to her mother, with a slightly confused "I cant remember if I am allowed to say this" look on her face and blurted out "my mum gets them from India". Ha! a bloody sweatshop in India! Embarrassed, her mother turned to me and muttered sheepishly "...er yes, a little family I know in India." A family I know? how many Somerset families do you know with friends in Bombay?

I live for music and wanted to go to what I thought was the biggest celebration of music on the planet. But this was not good. I'm glad I've been however and there were definately snippets of fun. I met some fantastic people and when I wasnt getting crushed to death due to Eavis cramming far too many people in, I saw some great music.

What do you think?

Sorry, but I disagree. The Jazzworld is one of the biggest stages. Right next to the stage (and still in clear earshot of the music) you will find - just off the top of my head next to the Brothers Bar - La Grande Bouffe, Pieminister and - just to the right of the stage - a very good curry stall. All tremendous quality food. And neither are particularly hard to find.

Glastonbury is not a spiritual, mellow experience, lets get that straight now. It is a dirty, commercial hole serving only to make money.

The prices were so expensive I found myself eating chips for tea every night, nice one Eavis I hope you enjoyed your caviar.

Now for the hippies.

I've never been so angry as seeing a stupid bandana clad 35 year old woman pushing a pram with all kinds of stuff sufficating her poor kid. All you could see were his/her (sex inderterminable) short little legs peeping from this ridiculously overloaded pram. The amount of kids I saw crying at that festival was unbelievable. They don't like it so give up the dream and stay at home, or get a babysitter. Your kids should come before your lazy hedonistic vibe chasing. And as for the four year old boy waving a fire candle and then getting bollocked by the very hippy who gave it to him, dont get me started!

Going back to the greed of Michael Eavis and the organisers. There were blatantaly too many people in that toxic field for it to be safe and even close to comfortable for the £180 paying punters. But who cares when the more you cram in the more money they make. The bottom line is they dont care about your experience.

And where were the cleaners on site? I've seen less rubbish on a tip. It was like dancing in a Chinese landfill site. The bonfires full of plastic were disgusting too. But with next to no steward or police presence around the festival, who could stop that. Of course, Eavis wouldn't want to jeapordise his precious arrest figures by paying for extra police presence now would he.

The best festival ever, lower crime, doesn't he say that every year? Obviously when you rely on citizens arrests the figures will be rather low!

Now back to how commerical the festival is, brace yourself for this - seriously.

When I went to one of the little markets by the circus field, I saw a lovely decorated tin, with pieces of mirror and other colourful intricacies on it. It was a set of three and at £6 I thought it was very reasonable and that I would be helping out a small business. Then the bombshell struck. The sellers tired looking nine year old daughter, who was also serving, spilled the beans. After I asked her who made them, thinking I was prompting a proud exclamation of "my gran" or "aunt Pearl" she looked to her mother, with a slightly confused "I cant remember if I am allowed to say this" look on her face and blurted out "my mum gets them from India". Ha! a bloody sweatshop in India! Embarrassed, her mother turned to me and muttered sheepishly "...er yes, a little family I know in India." A family I know? how many Somerset families do you know with friends in Bombay?

I live for music and wanted to go to what I thought was the biggest celebration of music on the planet. But this was not good. I'm glad I've been however and there were definately snippets of fun. I met some fantastic people and when I wasnt getting crushed to death due to Eavis cramming far too many people in, I saw some great music.

What do you think?

on the topic of kids....

mine have been to festivals since they were bumps in their mums tum. every year we "ask" them if they want to go and every year they look at us as though we are mad to even think they might not want to go.

my eldest (11) has been to every glastonbury since 2003 (wouldnt take them before the superfence due to shear numbers and the level of theft) as well as another 7 other festivals (womad, BD etc)

they love it but even with their experience and knowledge of how to survive, they get their moments when they get tired and worn out and thus a tad miserable. normally a good meal or a good sleep (it tends to be towards the end of the day) and they are recharged for the next chore of having fun.

hell thinking of it, this was the first year my wife and I havent had a row and subsequent tears and make up..... not becuase we hate each other of the festival, but because spirituality aside, the lenght and nature of glastonbury (8 days for us on site) makes for an emotional rollercoaster..... even still we wouldnt have it any other way

btw, anyone that goes to it with preconceptions will hae those preconceptions blown out of the water. tis best to go with an open mind before getting there and just go with the flow when you get there

on the topic of kids....

mine have been to festivals since they were bumps in their mums tum. every year we "ask" them if they want to go and every year they look at us as though we are mad to even think they might not want to go.

s best to go with an open mind before getting there and just go with the flow when you get there

Some of my friends took their kids and have done for as long as they've been born, there's no way the kids would be happy missing it! Totally agree with Jonajuna, yeah they get tired and ratty, that's what kids do, and don't we all, but we still have the best time ever (on the whole).

Some of my friends took their kids and have done for as long as they've been born, there's no way the kids would be happy missing it! Totally agree with Jonajuna, yeah they get tired and ratty, that's what kids do, and don't we all, but we still have the best time ever (on the whole).

Now for the hippies.

What do you think?

I didn't bother wityh this thread on Monday because I wasn't ready for another whinge but as it turned into a food thread can I just mention Yam the Casava?- (between The Queens Head & Jazz world)

I wanted saltfish & dumpling but I wanted to get it with cornbread instead of dumpling. Not only was this no problem, they offered rice & peas for an extra pound. As I'd managed to only spend £50 by Sunday afternoon I had no problem with this anyway, but then the grand total was £5!!!! Saltfish, cornbread (x2), salad & rice & peas - all bloody gorgeous!!! - £5!!! How good is that?

It's a different festival to years ago. It's a credibilty thing than actually going to simply chill. The days when people went to simply see the little unnoticed efforts in the smaller fields have gone. Everyone sits at the main stages all day every day.

It's the particular generations that are causing particular problems with it these days.

Now for the hippies.

What do you think?

It seems to me that many people believed the fence and ticketing system/pricing would deter the kinds of people by whom they feel threatened for the rest of the year. It's not going to happen, ever, but don't let that put you off please as it leaves more room for idiots. Tell your friends (obviously only the nice ones) how much more ace it would be if they came and keep the knobs down to a marginal minimum.

Also take notice of glastoman417 because once again he is on the money.

And get a hair cut and a job while your at it you f&*king hippie!

Peace and love from the grandadcollective.