Kings of Leon?

Guest robsadler

Im pretty indifferent about both bands, will consider watching either if theres nothing else on. However if my job was festival organiser of course I would book both bands because I know their popularity would selll tickets. I think people who think arctic monkeys and kol could play on the same day are a bit naive, bands this popular dont come cheap.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings of Leon were amazing, I saw them 3 times on their Because of the Times tour, loved them each time.

Problem is, I don't like the new record, and I've now seen them play all the songs from before it. While they were tight, quality performers, there wasn't a stage show or even just exceptional brilliance to get me back regardless of tunes, and I don't particularly care for the new ones. There's nothing more I could get from seeing KoL again. I would watch them if I were going to a festival anyway, but I would no longer consider them a significant draw.

So no. I don't hate KoL, I'm not going to call them sellouts because it's only one album so far. Also, a band selling out doesn't stop them still being worth listening to/seeing live: Metallica being a good example.

For:

'I think the line up should be more diverse'

Read:

'IWANT METAL, I WANT METAL'

If Sex On Fire and Only By The Night weren't as successful as they were, and KOL only ended up playing 2nd again I can guarantee you more people would be happy about them playing.

I've said this before, Sex On Fire isn't their best song but it's refreshing to have something like that knocking all this manufactured pop and dance shite off the top spot.

It's hardly like they've suddenly risen to fame anyway. They've worked their way up and four albums later they're reaping the rewards of their hard work.

Edited by VCK

I would never call the new album selling out anyway, you can see a steady progression towards this sound throughout their albums. And as they don't seem to stick with one sound for each album you can hopefully expect something different from them in the future. kaosmark2 got it spot on for me really, have never not enjoyed them live but there is nothing really that makes me feel like I would be missing out on anything if I don't see them this time around

Thats pretty much my view, a couple of years ago these people were all over Kings of Leon like a rash. Now they're more popular they suddenly become shit. The ironic thing is in their attempts to go be different they're pretty much all the same and incredibly predictable. My money is on a good portion of people slagging KoL and AM will be there going nuts like the rest of us enjoying their set only to come back on here afterwards saying how shit they were.

I just like what i like, don't pin myself to 1 band/type of band at all. Rock/punk/metal/indie whatever so long as it makes my ears feel good im all in.

been a kol fan since the first album, each lp has a place in my heart but i must say aha shake heartbreak will prob always be my fave.

apparently hearing the next album may be a bluesy affair so hopefully wont get played to death all over radio, but still doesnt make me love them any less, dont consider myself a music 'snob'!

still one of the best live bands around.

I can honestly say that I wrote them off as boring as f**k the first time I heard them, which was a few years ago I guess. Not that I hate them, they're not awful, just unexciting - and probably the most overrated band in the world at the moment.

I can honestly say that I wrote them off as boring as f**k the first time I heard them, which was a few years ago I guess. Not that I hate them, they're not awful, just unexciting - and probably the most overrated band in the world at the moment.

Yep same here.

I wouldn't be anywhere near as annoyed at their presence on the line-up had it been more than 2 years since they last played. For me this showed just how shallow the pool of bands deemed "Reading/Leeds material" has become.

It's quite likely that I'll watch Kings of Leon 'cos I would definitely consider myself a fan and have seen them live a few times and they have always played well and sounded good (though it does become a bit repetitive, not much spontaneity), but if there was someone interesting on one of the other stages that I hadn't seen before (not Jamie T :) ) then it probably wouldn't take much to pull me away.

When I first heard Sex On Fire properly on the radio or something (they did play it at V Fest. but I don't remember it much :P ) I can honestly say that I was blown away; I thought it was an incredible, incredible song, but over the course of the evening I heard it again... and again and I was already growing tired of it.

I bought the album on the day it came out and didn't think much of it tbh, as others have said, pretty MOR. I'm not one of those people who disowns a band for realising their potential and becoming successful, as long as they keep generating what I deem to be interesting music, sadly in Kings' case this seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I think my favourite KoL album is their third one, I just think it's their creative high-point, the perfect blend of more dirty, garage-y stuff of their first two albums, coupled with some more poppy hooks and Caleb's vocals sound great.

So yeah, a fan, somewhat disinterested at present, may watch them.

I think my favourite KoL album is their third one, I just think it's their creative high-point, the perfect blend of more dirty, garage-y stuff of their first two albums, coupled with some more poppy hooks and Caleb's vocals sound great.

So yeah, a fan, somewhat disinterested at present, may watch them.