Seminal albums/bands

Guest Onion Terror

I've noticed a lot of talk of seminal albums over the last few weeks on these pages. Just wanted to get people's thoughts on 5 albums that they believe to be truly groundbreaking or genre shaping to see if we can come to a consensus. Not likely but its a time passer.

Also, do you get the impression that there is anyone out there at the moment who could be capable of producing an album to fit in this category in the future?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stone Roses-"

The Beatles-Revolver

The Beatles- The White Album

Radiohead- The Bends

Radiohead-Ok Computer

The Doors-The Doors

IMo, The Arctic Monkeys are a bit special, still very young and seemingly grounded. For me along with the aforementioned Up the Bracket their debut is up their as the most seminal album of the Naughties and could well be remembered as such in the future. Either way, i believe they definately have it in them to produce and outstanding stand alone album in the future

This is very open to personal opinion however mine are as follows:

Now these are mine and not perhaps your norm but I kinda relate these to the music I listend to and the resulting albums since...

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

St Pepper - The Beatles

The Yes Album - Yes

Meddle - Pink Floyd

The Bends - Radiohead

The only band I can think at the moment with the real potential is Elbow...

As I say IMHO

This is very open to personal opinion however mine are as follows:

Now these are mine and not perhaps your norm but I kinda relate these to the music I listend to and the resulting albums since...

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

St Pepper - The Beatles

The Yes Album - Yes

Meddle - Pink Floyd

The Bends - Radiohead

The only band I can think at the moment with the real potential is Elbow...

As I say IMHO

I had never heard of Wilco before reading these forums. Not saying they aren't a great band, i honestly wouldn't know. But surely the whole idea behind a seminal album is that it reaches and affects the masses in a way that most artists and albums are unable to and influences fellow musicians in great numbers to make music. Not sure this can be the case for a band that are largely unknown

read it again.

surely the whole idea behind a seminal album is that it reaches and affects the masses in a way that most artists and albums are unable to and influences fellow musicians in great numbers to make music.

nothing to do with best selling, more far reaching.

look at the entries in everyones lists for proof, nearly all these albums did this

read it again.

surely the whole idea behind a seminal album is that it reaches and affects the masses in a way that most artists and albums are unable to and influences fellow musicians in great numbers to make music.

look at the entries in everyones lists for proof, nearly all these albums did this

...picking 5 is practically impossible...so many already mentioned in the thread (stone roses, led zep IV, the bends/ok computer, revolver/sgt peppers, DSOTM etc etc)....

to add to these...

Van Morrisson - Astral weeks

Neil Young - Harvest (or after the goldrush)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Cure - Head on the Door (also 17 seconds, boys don't cry, kiss me, kiss me, kiss me, disintegration!)

REM - Automatic For The People (though Life's rich pageant is my own personal favourite)

U2 - The Joshua Tree

...like I said, there's just too many to name. Of the newer things out there, Funeral probably comes closest at the moment.

read it again.

Here's my 5:

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Radiohead - The Bends

Clash - London Calling

Ramones - The Ramones

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

And here's 5 that I've enjoyed more than any over the years, and have come back to time and again, but wouldn't be considered classics:

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

The Feelies - The Feelies

Gene - Olympian

I won't repeat many of the above that I'd agree with wholeheartedly. But just to chuck in a few more that opened my ears to US West Coast music: Jefferson Airplane, The Doors and Love. Anyone remember Arthur Lee and Love's great set at Glasto a couple of years ago?