Petition to outlaw touts

Guest mickg

At the end of the day if the government really wanted to help stop the problem of touting they would get all legit ticket companies to have a returns policy, that way people that for whatever reason can't go after they have bought the tickets they can get a refund (there would have to be a cutt off point of course, say a week before the said event/gig) This way the ticket companies can re-sell again at the same price without them being sold on for silly money through ebay etc. Yes it may not stop the problem of touting completely but it would give more people the chance to buy tickets at reasonable prices. Of course there will still be people who buy tickets for gigs just to sell on and make money and that would not be solved by this idea of course but it would help a lot if people knew they could return tickets to where they bought them from and have a hassle free refund without the risk of selling late and losing money on ebay etc....

I'm not complaining about touts.

I do however think it is unfair that large amounts of tickets are made available to companies who's sole intention is to sell them on for massive profits - that's not fair on the ticket buying public.

But the petition shouldn't be aimed at the touts it should be at the organisers who allow this kind of thing to happen.

At the end of the day if the government really wanted to help stop the problem of touting they would get all legit ticket companies to have a returns policy, that way people that for whatever reason can't go after they have bought the tickets they can get a refund (there would have to be a cutt off point of course, say a week before the said event/gig) This way the ticket companies can re-sell again at the same price without them being sold on for silly money through ebay etc. Yes it may not stop the problem of touting completely but it would give more people the chance to buy tickets at reasonable prices. Of course there will still be people who buy tickets for gigs just to sell on and make money and that would not be solved by this idea of course but it would help a lot if people knew they could return tickets to where they bought them from and have a hassle free refund without the risk of selling late and losing money on ebay etc....

It's not right, but do the ticket companies care who they sell tickets to? Again though, if people didn't buy from over-priced agencies, it'd soon stop.

You say that, but you might pay a little over the odds for in-demand tickets, and then less for low-demand tickets. I for example want to go see Porcupine Tree, but don't value it at £30 a ticket. It's not sold out yet, so I'd get it cheaper in an auction. I might have paid more for my Brand New tickets. Swings and roundabouts.

The point I'm making is that people shouldn't buy over priced tickets. Touts only exist because of this.