Girls Aloud?

Guest crimsonking

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone actually give a better example of a pop band in the last 10 years? If so I'm all years.

They wouldn't have to mime at all, they are all very good singers (say what you like about reality TV shows, they do at least ensure that the winners can sing live).

They also have the best writing team currently working in the industry and songs like "The Promise" stand up against some of the best pop songs ever written.

Can sing well live? - Check

Great pop songs? - Check

Easy on the eye? - Check

If you don't like pop music then that's fine, but if you're going to be snobbish about pop music in general then there are much more worthy targets than Girls Aloud.

POTD!

Of course GA are wonderful. Their only real competition for the title of gretest pop band of the last 10 years are the Sugababes and possibly Take That (too many MOR ballads to properly qualify I wouuld have thought).

It didn't take long for the 2 anti-pop cliches to rear their ugly head in this tread:

''I hate their music but would go to look up their skirts'' sexist bilge

and

the ''They don't even write their own tunes'' real music bores. For f**ks sake, who cares who writes the music as long as it sounds good? Orchestral music, Elvis, Motown and any cut n paste electronic music would be a good starting point for drongos that care who writes the music.

I've never understood this attitude of "I don't like that band so don't want them on at MY festival" .

It smacks of the Mary Whitehouse-ism of "I was forced to sit through the most disgusting television progamme the other night". Well switch over then!!!

If you don't like a band, don't watch them. Simple as that. It's not as if there aren't plenty of other things happening elsewhere.

Personally, I would go and watch them.

My current favourite bands are Death Cab, First Aid Kit and Sky Larkin and my fave bands of all time are Oasis, Libertines and the Smiths but I f**kin' love Girls Aloud (and not just cos they're 5 pretty girls)! They Xenomaniac team know exactly how to write and produce brilliant pop songs and the girls know exactly what they're doing along with looking great. They can and do sing live and I don't see why they shouldn't play if shite like Scouting For Girls, the Hoosiers, Blunt and Faulkner played last year!!

Can anyone actually give a better example of a pop band in the last 10 years? If so I'm all years.

They wouldn't have to mime at all, they are all very good singers (say what you like about reality TV shows, they do at least ensure that the winners can sing live).

They also have the best writing team currently working in the industry and songs like "The Promise" stand up against some of the best pop songs ever written.

Great pop songs? - Check

Easy on the eye? - Check

If you don't like pop music then that's fine, but if you're going to be snobbish about pop music in general then there are much more worthy targets than Girls Aloud.

Great pop songs? - Check

Easy on the eye? - Check

+1 I don't know where the respect they command comes from, just because they are the 'best' from the worst genre out of there (possibly topped by donk or heavy metal) does not give the reality TV show, manufactured, generic excuse for a band carte blanche to play the greatest music festival in the world.

Great pop songs? - Check

Easy on the eye? - Check

Maybe you think it is better than a lot of the output of the aforementioned bands, but up there with the greatest pop songs ever, not a chance. As someone said before though Pop is different to what it used to be. I accept that from the 'churned out every other week' pop bands that come out these days, they top the lot.
Edited by Wooderson