Shout if you love Real Ale

Guest Sam Crawley

Greetings ale lovers! I thought I'd start this thread for those who like their beer with some flavour :D

Does anyone know whether Woodford's Wherry will be back this year? It's nice, not my ale of choice but I presume they go for something lighter so we behave! Imagine if Abbot was on tap all over Glasto!

Serious question: Any tips for finding other ales on site? Last year I found the Otter Brewery ales in Bimble Inn, but by the time I headed into the pub in Shangri-La the ales were gone.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings ale lovers! I thought I'd start this thread for those who like their beer with some flavour :D

Does anyone know whether Woodford's Wherry will be back this year? It's nice, not my ale of choice but I presume they go for something lighter so we behave! Imagine if Abbot was on tap all over Glasto!

Serious question: Any tips for finding other ales on site? Last year I found the Otter Brewery ales in Bimble Inn, but by the time I headed into the pub in Shangri-La the ales were gone.

Mmmmmmmm, ale homer%20drool.jpg

I think Mr.Woodfordes Wherry is pretty much on the menu each and every year in just about all the bars on site :D but for real choice, take a (quite likely one way !) wander to the Accoustic field for more ales than you can possibly imagine in a single beer tent at a festival bigdrink.gif. A jolly fine choice available last year from Woodfordes (Nelsons Revenge, Admirals Reserve and others) plus ales from several other good breweries as well but I can't remember that many details needless to say :D

Edited by mikeb

Real Ale is the best adventure in alcoholic drinks around... to me all wine taste like wine, but ale is where the true flavour lies... unfortunately I usually drink so much of when I do that I can never remember what I liked! Good to see a rise in the sale of bottled ales in recent years, beats a 6 pack of crap lager when I have a night in! Would be up for a bit of an ale bar-crawl this year...

Great thread Sam, there are at least one of these threads on real ale pop up once a year, you’ll find you’re not alone when it comes to a decent pint of ale.

I know the bar, but I never knew they sold decent ale! Thanks I will check them out. Sounds like they run out fairly early in the festival.

I know the place well, they have a bench there with my name on it – I wish!

Can’t wait till June

I have to say, I was really impressed with the choice of real ale last year (my first year at Glasto), especially at the red flag bar near the acoustic stage where I spent most of my time. I think a real ale crawl would be a really good idea. I did try a couple of beers in the Bimble in but the qualty wasnt quite as good as the red flag bar, not that I am trying to be picky.

Ah, a real ale thread!!

Ale-ites - you have impeccable tastes. The Red Flag real ale bar by the acoustic stage is where I spent many an hour on the Thursday last year, in the pleasant company of Tinygreendragon, Glastofreak and his 'interesting' shirts.

Of course, they also had the excellent Morrissey Fox beer on sale last year which - if you'd have seen Neil Morrissey's Risky Business - featured on TV. I was served by the man himself. Proof:

n591785015_1437924_9689.jpg

There were also some Butcombe beers which are also excellent.

The Bimble Inn served Butts Bitter which was - yet again - very pleasant.

Glastonbury is a place full of real ale if you look hard enough. It just means you have to branch off from the crowds. However, this also means that you rarely have to queue for very long to get served in the proper bars. Those days of queuing for half an hour to get a lukewarm pint of cat piss (AKA Lager) by the Other Stage could well be behind you.

I realise Wherry is not everyone's first choice of a real ale but it is the taste of happiness for me - have spent many a happy hour with a pint of Wherry on weekend escapes to Norfolk and of course at Glastonbury. Any stress disappears for me at the mere mention of the name :lol:

Make sure you leave a keg up at the Red Flag Bar then, Pinhead!

Sounds like the place I'll be spending some quality time at this year.

Incidentally how about we propose to CAMRA that they combine the GBBF with Glasto? Now that would be a festival to remember (or not possibly!)

I'm up in Wherry country at the moment, and am pleased to report that after a few samplings it is up to standard.

quality thread. we had a similar one on discussions that I think langdale wolf started.

from that I now know about the real ale tent near the acoustic stage which I didnt know about.

If any real-ale drinkers are gonna be camping at , or you just fancy a few bevvies at this tent, let me know.