Loopallu 2009

Guest Paul ™

I think I must have been at a different festival. I had a brilliant time. The Naked Strangers were great imo and would have deserved to be further up the bill (and got a big crowd considering they were first on) and I enjoyed the Lightning Seeds. We've all got different tastes I guess. The Family Mahone are good fun, but headlining? - I have never typed LOL in a post before because I think it's silly (though I find myself nearly saying it sometimes in conversation) but in this case, sorry but - LOL.

I don't think there's enough room on the site for anything else to be squeezed in really. I think it's really good as it is - different to other festivals I go to with being in the town and with things going in the pubs afterwards.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A part timer at last years Loop, I came back this year for the whole thing and had a brilliant festival. We arrived in perfect time on Thursday and so were camped with a great bunch and had many laughs in the campsite over the few days.

I gave Naked Strangers a miss as I'd seen them in the Arch Inn last year and at Bella this year but wasn't that fussed on them - everyone said they were really good so I wish I'd given them a fair go. The only other band I missed were the Dangleberries, some would say that was a blessing, though I confess I quite liked them at Bella.

Codeine Velvet Club were good and I really liked French Wives and Alabama 3 but my highlight was Mumford & Sons though I was in the minority in our camp. Family Mahone had everyone jumping then personally I thought Lightening Seeds were a bit flat and judging by the numbers in the tent others were of the same mind. I had been looking forward to them but wandered off after 4 or 5 songs.

So some glorious weather, some freezing weather, major tent leakage, great company and too many hangovers for one weekend - ah well, roll on next year! :ph34r:

Edited by Mcscotty

They were in a pub (The Caley Inn), and they were calling everyone f**king w*nkers, and just being arrogant. A couple of lads go over to shake their hands and congratulate them on the gig the night before, and they slap their hands away, and then Keiren from the band when to shake these boys hands, and did so, then went and headbutted the lad. Then all hell broke loose, and Kyle and Keiren from The View got leathered. They started it tho. Got what was coming to them.

Well nearly recovered now :lol:

After going straight to Inverness for Loopallu, Flybe managed to loose my tent so thanks to Oldbird for letting me stay in their living area on the Tuesday.

Went over to Stornoway for the Wednesday/Thursday and had a brilliant time there as hired a car to go round the Isle of Lewis.

Back over on the Thursday afternoon for the festival, and again it failed to dissapoint. Seen some good bands, and the Lightning Seeds were awful.

Robert really needs to improve on the headliners and acts at this festival though!

The crowd again was brilliant, the people who attend this festival sure know how to party.

eFest camp again was brilliant, with lots of new faces as well as the old ones.. thanks again to you all for making it one of the best festivals this summer.

Weather on the Saturday could have been better, but after 11 days with sun I guess one poor day was to be expected.

Only other small complaint is less food choice available in the arena, and the increase in bar prices with a reduction on what you got was one poor point compared to last couple of years.

Roll on Loopallu 2010 :ph34r:

Edited by Paul ™

Well guys I made it back in one piece just in time to grab a shower and go to work.

My tent bit the dust last night but i was pretty plastered so i just lay in it.

Thanks to everybody who looked after me I'm sure I'll see you next year.

Highlights for me were kid british, mumford & alabama3.

we got back yesterday, having decided to stay on for the extra night - bit of a mistake as Sunday night was a howling gale, and we ended up sleeping in the car. Tent was stil standing in the morning though!

By the look of your pics Paul, we were camped right next to you guys - was with my boyfriend in a big blue Vango tent.

Highlights were Kid British, Codine Velvet Club and Family Mahone. Alabama 3 were good too. Looking forward to next year already!

Smack and I are just back from Loop tonight.....went to Applecross for lunch today 'on the way home'...NOT, it's bloomin miles away!

Loopallu was good crack and it was great, nay life affirming to see you all again. We caught the Grousebeater Sound System in the Arch on Sunday - great stuff and looking promising.

Highlights for me were:

Codeine Velvet Club

Seaforth fish and chips

Mrs MacDonalds luxurious B&B (Dromnan)

Paul, upon Alabama 3's entrance saying "Where's the burd?"

Paul almost fainting when I told him the Mumford mob were pish!

Climbing Ullapool hill after meaning to do so for the last 4 Loopallus

Downers:

No local seafood at the fest unlike the past 4

Pish line up apart from CVC and A3

No Vatersay boys

No Lorelei

Slight feeling of complacency creeping in to the Loopallu proceedings

SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR

Smack and I are just back from Loop tonight.....went to Applecross for lunch today 'on the way home'...NOT, it's bloomin miles away!

Highlights for me were:

Paul, upon Alabama 3's entrance saying "Where's the burd?"

Paul almost fainting when I told him the Mumford mob were pish!

Not posted all week. Been too hungover since Loop. :P What a great time we had, great to meet everyone again. Highlights were The View, (ha), Alabama 3, Kid British, and Pearl and the Puppets. Honourable mention to the Indian restaurant at the top of the campsite as well. My arse hasn't recovered since.

Hopefuly see everyone there again next year, what a great wee festival.

Roll on the videos Paul. :)

Edited by irons

Back at work again (on nights!) after our Scottish tour 2009.

Had a fantastic time at Loop again.

My Highlights were:

Pearl & The Puppets

Kid British

Dykeenies

French Wives

Polly & the Billets Doux

Mumford and Sons

Didn't bother with the View.

Lightning Seeds were awful, we left half way through. They had been so good at Summer Sundae in August. Sorry to anyone who was disappointed after my earlier glowing review of them.

Other highlights were meeting all you nice people again, and hopefully a couple of new friends (ey up Ken!)

Drinking in the Seaforth

Great chippy food.

A good curry

Discovering Black Isle Blonde in the Ceilidh Place.

Was a bit disappointed by the food selection on the festival site, it was definitely better last year.

Also I was unimpressed by the headliners again.

The lower bill always throws up some delights, but the organisers really need to think about the bill toppers for next year.

One last thought, the campsite seemed a bit quieter than last year.........?

• 3 months later...

OneLittleFish, there is an e-fest camp and I did the same last year. None of my mates could go or wanted to go so I went on my own.

This year my mate has decided he is definetely going. A load of people from his work go and he wants to go this year. So its entirely possible I will make an appearance.

I'm going to have to decide nearer the time.