Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I hope Smith doesn't go away too soon. He's my favourite Doc so far.

I love how even though he is young, he nailled the characters age. I think the script also helped but Smith worked it into almost everything he did. He had a genuine weight of experience in his performance. That's quite a feat when he was the most babyfaced of all the Doctors. It was almost as if having a young looking Doc but behaving like an ancient person made the contrast a lot starker and more noticable than it had been, so you actually got a better idea of how old he really was. I thought that was pretty clever, even though deep down they probably cast a younger Doc for far more cynical, marketing-based reasons.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I hope Smith doesn't go away too soon. He's my favourite Doc so far.

I love how even though he is young, he nailled the characters age. I think the script also helped but Smith worked it into almost everything he did. He had a genuine weight of experience in his performance. That's quite a feat when he was the most babyfaced of all the Doctors. It was almost as if having a young looking Doc but behaving like an ancient person made the contrast a lot starker and more noticable than it had been, so you actually got a better idea of how old he really was. I thought that was pretty clever, even though deep down they probably cast a younger Doc for far more cynical, marketing-based reasons.

In his interview on the Guardian website, Stephen Moffat describes Matt Smith as "like a young man built by old men from memory"

Edited by philipsteak

This news got me all excited that they were actually just going to do two stories, each half a series long. Like how it used to be. Anything that allows Moffat to spin a nice long complex intelligent story has to be a good thing.

But it's not. It's still going to be 13 stand alone episodes, each with a monster of the week, rushing through the exposition so they can get to the action bits, with a rather flimsy ill explained story arc bit tacked onto the end of each episode.

I'm pretty sure that the cliff hanger at the end of the first half is

River killing the Doctor as we already know that happens (she was put in prison for killing "the best man she had ever known"). Hopefully they've got a better resolution to that than 'diverting the regeneration into the hand in a jar'.

Gutted that Moff is only doing 5 episodes next series too (instead of the 6 he did last series). At least we'll have Nick Gaiman's (oft re-written) story to look forward to though.

Edited by Halcyon

Ooh nice find. Didnt realise it was ever actually broadcast on telly but I am happily ensconced in watching the Dr Who Proms on BBC3.

Only an hours worth but wonderful to watch and not just listen to. The looks on the kids faces when the Juddoon, Silurians, the Venetian Vampires and the Cybermen walk into the Royal Albert Hall.

I even welled up during the piece with all the transformations.

I think I am going to try and get a ticket for next year's show this time. :D

Hope its on the IPlayer for everyone else after this evening. Enjoy x

Ooh, turns out this is the first time its been shown and the extended version is on this Friday at 7pm. Excellent :D

Edited by LusciousLucy

Ooh nice find. Didnt realise it was ever actually broadcast on telly but I am happily ensconced in watching the Dr Who Proms on BBC3.

Only an hours worth but wonderful to watch and not just listen to. The looks on the kids faces when the Juddoon, Silurians, the Venetian Vampires and the Cybermen walk into the Royal Albert Hall.

I even welled up during the piece with all the transformations.

I think I am going to try and get a ticket for next year's show this time. :D

Hope its on the IPlayer for everyone else after this evening. Enjoy x

Ooh, turns out this is the first time its been shown and the extended version is on this Friday at 7pm. Excellent :D

Only caught the last 15 mins but I'll definitely be watching the extended version on friday.

• 1 month later...

http://blastr.com/2010/10/its-official-doctor-who-i.php

What was only a teaser last week has suddenly become fact. Doctor Who's regeneration limit of 12, long a part of the Time Lord's canon, is going away. And, strangely, it won't be treated as a big deal, either, as the whole matter will be resolved in a simple passing comment.

Not only that, but the BBC will deal with the situation NOT in a Doctor Who episode, but rather in its spinoff series The Sarah Jane Adventures, starring Elisabeth Sladen as former Doctor companion Sarah Jane Smith, in the two-part episode titled Death of the Doctor, which will air in the U.K. Oct. 25 and 26.

According to the Guardian:

While the Doctor and Clyde Langer, played by Daniel Anthony, are in the process of outwitting spooky vulture undertakers the Shansheeth, Clyde asks how many times he can regenerate. The Doctor indicates that there is no limit. The action continues.

While perhaps the manner in which the event will happen is a tad underwhelming (OK, maybe a lot underwhelming), it's also a strange move on the part of the BBC to have decided to deal with this very important event in Doctor Who lore in a spinoff for children, on the CBBC no less, rather than on the main show itself—or at the very least on the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special.

And because SJA no longer airs in North America (though we hope this may change), it also means that many Doctor Who fans will not be able to see the famous episode and the moment in question until the DVD comes out.

As well, some won't be happy that changing something so fundamental as Time Lords having a limit of 12 regenerations will only be mentioned in passing instead of getting a more significant scene.

But with a show as successful as Doctor Who, they needed to address the issue sooner rather than later, and we all knew that it would lead to some sort of explanation or event that would definitely have the Doctor regenerating more than 12 times—we are, after all, up to Matt Smith's 11th Doctor already, with only two more regenerations left for the Time Lord!

That likelihood must have seemed far away back in 1976, when the powers that be came up with this storyline in The Deadly Assassin, with Tom Baker's fourth Doctor, but now it's no longer viable, since the Doctor is heading toward the end of his "life" and the show is giving every indication that it plans to go on long after the 13th Doctor.

:huh:

Well that keeps it nicely swept under the carpet doesnt it?

It does mean I will get around to watching SJA though. Dont really watch it due to it being on kids tv and on a channel we cant get anyway. I dont tend to do IPlayer catch up but might be convinced this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

"What was only a teaser last week has suddenly become fact. Doctor Who's regeneration limit of 12, long a part of the Time Lord's canon, is going away. And, strangely, it won't be treated as a big deal, either, as the whole matter will be resolved in a simple passing comment.

Not only that, but the BBC will deal with the situation NOT in a Doctor Who episode, but rather in its spinoff series The Sarah Jane Adventures, starring Elisabeth Sladen as former Doctor companion Sarah Jane Smith, in the two-part episode titled Death of the Doctor, which will air in the U.K. Oct. 25 and 26."

Well I just watched the two episodes which were great fun but bloody hell...if that is how the future of dealing with such a big plot device of regeneration has been handled...eek!

A simple passing comment is an understatement (and I had subtitles on so I wouldnt miss it!)

The monster cossies for the Shansheeth were brilliant though as was the appearance of Jo Grant. It was certainly a wonderful Whovian episode for the fans since the beginning of the series conception - as in from the very beginning as it confronts another companion and how she feels about being left behind. Good work Mr Davies.

Edited by LusciousLucy

It just baffles me that they passed on this opportunity to use it as a decent storyline out of it. Sure, we all know that he'll get round it someway, and that he will regenerate a 13th time - but at least get an episode or two's worth of story out of it.

Perhaps Moffat is so brimming with other ideas that he doesn't feel the need to use this as an idea. Or maybe he really is just trying to distance his Doctor from the Doctors of old.

It just baffles me that they passed on this opportunity to use it as a decent storyline out of it. Sure, we all know that he'll get round it someway, and that he will regenerate a 13th time - but at least get an episode or two's worth of story out of it.

Perhaps Moffat is so brimming with other ideas that he doesn't feel the need to use this as an idea. Or maybe he really is just trying to distance his Doctor from the Doctors of old.

Maybe The Doctor says "there is no limit" because The Master has escaped his mortality continually and has already proven that a Time Lord can certainly regenerate more than 12 times and possibly regenerate an indefinite amount.

Also, wasn't it The Doctor himself who came up with the way to give The Master his regen-cycle back (in 'The Four Doctors') after he has exhausted them all and was that hideous walking corpse?

Maybe the explanation is already part of the canon.

Edited by Purple Monkey

• 3 weeks later...

thought I'd dig this one up for some chrimbly news:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47490

BBC AMERICA TO PREMIERE DOCTOR WHO SPECIAL ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Harry Potter’s Michael Gambon Guest Stars in the Holiday-Themed Adventure

Following Matt Smith’s appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on Tuesday November 16, BBC AMERICA announces that the new Doctor Who Christmas Special will premiere in the U.S. for the first time on Christmas Day. The festive Dickens-inspired adventure, A Christmas Carol, is penned by award-winning lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat (Sherlock, Coupling) and premieres Saturday, December 25, 9:00 pm ET.

Newlyweds Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) are joined by Harry Potter’s Michael Gambon and Opera diva Katherine Jenkins, for what may be the Doctor’s most Christmassy adventure yet.

Lead Writer and Executive Producer, Steven Moffat, commented on the upcoming special: “Oh, we're going for broke with this one. It's all your favorite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters. And the Doctor. And a honeymoon. And ... oh, you'll see. I've honestly never been so excited about writing anything. I was laughing madly as I typed along to Christmas songs in April. My neighbors loved it so much they all moved away and set up a website demanding my execution. But I'm fairly sure they did it ironically.”

Perry Simon, General Manager, Channels, added: “Doctor Who has become a key part of the BBC AMERICA schedule, and having the opportunity to air A Christmas Carol on Christmas Day is like receiving our very own holiday gift. The Timelord may travel through time and space, but he’s certainly found a home at BBC AMERICA.”

Doctor Who is currently filming in Utah for next season’s two-part premiere set in the U.S. during the late ‘60s. Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Alex Kingston and guest star Mark Sheppard are all in production stateside. The next season premieres spring 2011 on BBC AMERICA.

In the run up to A Christmas Carol on Christmas Day, BBC AMERICA will be running a marathon of the series, beginning at midnight on December 24 and leading up to this year’s special. The marathon includes previous Christmas specials and a selection of favorite Doctor Who episodes from recent seasons.

Christmas Day will also see the premiere the Doctor Who Prom, a live concert featuring stars Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill as hosts. The Doctor Who Prom was filmed earlier this year at the world renowned Royal Albert Hall and features appearances from the Weeping Angels, Daleks and the TARDIS. The BBC National Orchestra of Wales, who record the soundtrack for the series, present a selection of intergalactic music – including Murray Gold’s music from the TV show, plus a selection of classical favorites.

Fans can catch up on the new Doctor’s first season with Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series Blu-ray and DVD, both are now available in stores.

BBC AMERICA brings audiences a new generation of award-winning television featuring news with a uniquely global perspective, provocative dramas, razor-sharp comedies, life-changing makeovers and a whole new world of nonfiction. BBC AMERICA pushes the boundaries to deliver high quality, highly addictive and eminently watchable programming to viewers who demand more. BBC AMERICA is distributed by Discovery Networks. It is available on digital cable and satellite TV in more than 68 million homes.

Jingle jangle all the way then...

also.... could the desert in Utah double for the plains of New Mexico?

Roswell, anyone?

Possibly. Rumour has it

the plot is along the lines of 'Apollo Ten and a Half'; a conspiracy theory thing where one of the Apollo moon rockets went off-course or something and actually met aliens

. And

River Song will be in it as well

. Spoilerised just in case, like.

No need for the second spoiler seeing as the post above states that Alex Kingston is filming in it lol.

Edit:

I'm sooooooooo looking forward to Episode 3 and the return of The Rani!Played by Surrane Jones though,not to sure about that.

Part of the episode deals with The War Games storyline so the writer has come out and said in the press.

Edited by metallimuse

Looking forward to episode 3 and the return of the Rani,played by Surrane Jones though,not liking that idea.

The writer has said the episode in part deals with The War Games story or continues on from it,I forget which.

Hmm.... The Rani was an appalling character - totally unnecessary and the episodes she was in (Mark of the Rani and Time and the Rani) were absolute guff.

So I'm sceptical about bringing her back - she hasn't been missed.

The War Games - NOW you're talking!! Brilliant story.