Rock am Ring 2009

Guest Squig

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a few reasons why no major headliners have been announced for quite a few festivals:

1. There is a lack of major, headline material bands that haven't been overused on the festival circuit. If you look at headliner size bands:

Green Day: Recording - not touring

Metallica: Played most festivals over last couple of years

RHCP: On a break

The White Stripes: Possibly injured/possibly recording

This obviously means there are less bands to go round.

2. Quite a few festivals are after AC/DC and Guns N Roses

AC/DC are obviously doing their own tour but could well do a few 'exclusive' festival gigs (ie one in UK (Reading...), one in Germany etc.) When loads of festivals are after you and you only want to do a couple its going to take a while to decide what is best for you, your fans and your bank balance.

GnR will more than likely play several european festivals next year but things move very slowly in Axl's world. Apparently they are on good terms with many european promoters (including MLK?) and things are being discussed...

3. Promoters are worried about the recession - they want to make sure their event sells out so they want to book acts that can shift tickets. I guess they are being more selective with the bigger acts?

Despite Metallica played extensively in Europe last summer, i still think they can draw a lot of people because they have a new album and their solo dates are all sold out (and we are talking about 37 European dates)!

About AC/DC, I'm still waiting for a festival date in Portugal. If they don't come here I'll be disappointed...

...unless they go to Wacken! Fortunately I was able to buy tickets before it was sold out right after Christmas. B)

Edited by Pedro.M

Im debating hiring out a people carrier or somthing and driving up from the midlands (kettering) so we can fit a few of us in + a decent tent and genarators, fridge etc. Cant survive without my hair straighteners lol. Was annoying as hell that tmobile stand only had like 2 slots for an N95 came back at least 15 times and it was always used goddamn lol.

Last time i got a £10 return flight on ryanair lol, we payd £16 for a cargo bag and stored 2 popup tents in 1 bag so it wasnt that bad, £8 each but i wanna take more this year i was sleeping in poverty last year lol.

Im debating hiring out a people carrier or somthing and driving up from the midlands (kettering) so we can fit a few of us in + a decent tent and genarators, fridge etc. Cant survive without my hair straighteners lol. Was annoying as hell that tmobile stand only had like 2 slots for an N95 came back at least 15 times and it was always used goddamn lol.

Last time i got a £10 return flight on ryanair lol, we payd £16 for a cargo bag and stored 2 popup tents in 1 bag so it wasnt that bad, £8 each but i wanna take more this year i was sleeping in poverty last year lol.

Never done flying to a fest, but i'd recommend a road trip. Only problem is the drivers are usually fooked on the first night, was top jokes though, loads of random stories from the road trip, just a shame there was a 5 hour queue to get into the campsite! (seriously, what the f**k was all that about!).

lol just checked it out and its 25 to rent a car in the UK which pissed on my parade lol. i drive a new Mini and can just about fit 4 people in so id be struggling for luggage lol. Might look into a trailer or borrowing a van of somone. It's a 10hour drive from where i am tbh its not too bad ive drove to manchester and back only staying for an hour so thats 6 hours lol. Plan on leaving earlier and taking alot of breaks though :D

Yeah it looked chaos to get into camping, last year we arrived late afternoon on the weds and it was only a 5minute wait, we was in C7 or somthing like that i think. I seen the big que's the thurs/fri though. Chaos lol

Cant remember the letter campsite but there was one literally just down from the entrance near the party tent. Tbh i prefer camping further away, not as packed (if you leave 1m square of grass a german will pitch a tent in it while you are sleeping) and the walk isn't that bad. It's the hills which kill lol when the sun was out the big hill before the loop round to the main entrance was torture to climb lol.

What an ugly new forum layout!

My tickets arrived so quickly this year (does that mean there are only about 10 people going? :lol: )

I had been thinking of going the coach route to Rock Am Ring this year-but couldn't find the company that provided it anywhere. Anyway, managed to get a bargain with Lufthansa-return tickets Manchester to Frankfurt for £132. We went with them last year and had no problems and at least i know where I'm going this time!

Might get a taxi from Koblenz this year-we're getting there on the wednesday afternoon if anyone fancies sharing? There's only 2 of us so room for 2 (3 maybe?) more.

i liked being in that dip actually, although i can see the advantage of my pole atop the hill. How could i ever throw insults at you squig anyhow, despite your clearly inferior flag pole, you, and your party were decent chaps. I just wish i could source a 15M pole for this year :lol: