Rock am Ring 2009

Guest Squig

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my third year in a row at RAR, really looking forward to it, going with my 3 sons and we will be spending most of the time drinking and partying as its my 50th birthday on the Monday 8th June. Got our tickets as soon as they went on sale, not so concerned about headliners just enjoy the whole thing anyway. Saying that my choice for a headliner would be the Foo's - that would be a nice 50th Birthday gift.

We drive down from Telford in the West Midlands and go via Harwich - Hook of Holland so get a good nights kip on the ferry on the way over and can sleep on the way back, you need it as not much sleep to be had while your there. Have to say that those crazy Germans are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and boy can they party and drink!

Anyway despite it being my 3rd time I do have a stupid question - are you restricted to a particular camp site depending on the ticket purchased - apart from the North Loop of course, which you have to pay extra for and sites for caravans.

PS I did ask the wife to come along (she came with us in 07) but she refuses point blank because of the toilet facilities, personally I can't see what the problem is.

As far as I could tell, Doyley, there wasn't a problem with camping in any site. Just a matter of who gets there first.

I found the loos much nicer than most of the fests I've been to-and there's always the ones you can pay a few euros for that are kept pristine!

I'm with you on the line up thing-the main reason we're going back is how nice the German campers were. Nice, but crazy (in a good way)! 3 guys helped us carry our bags to B5 as soon as we got there, it was really nice to be around people that are so friendly.

Edited by lenore

As far as I could tell, Doyley, there wasn't a problem with camping in any site. Just a matter of who gets there first.

I found the loos much nicer than most of the fests I've been to-and there's always the ones you can pay a few euros for that are kept pristine!

I'm with you on the line up thing-the main reason we're going back is how nice the German campers were. Nice, but crazy (in a good way)! 3 guys helped us carry our bags to B5 as soon as we got there, it was really nice to be around people that are so friendly.

Thanks for that lenore, looking to go on the Sunday/Monday this year so shouldn't have a problem getting a decent spec. Last year we arrived at about 2pm on the Thursday and the site we ended up on was busting at the seams so we ended up pitching the tent on gravel and almost on the road running through the site. Made for an interesting time though as we had loads of people stopping to chat drink and laugh at our half arsed attempt at pitching the tent.

If all else fails, do what we did and ask the people already set up where to camp! The people there walked us to where to get our wristbands and bin bags :P B5 was great last year, although it's a bit of a walk to the arena, because if you're a bit of a boring sod like me, it is possible to get some sleep (with earplaugs!).

Thanks for that lenore, looking to go on the Sunday/Monday this year so shouldn't have a problem getting a decent spec. Last year we arrived at about 2pm on the Thursday and the site we ended up on was busting at the seams so we ended up pitching the tent on gravel and almost on the road running through the site. Made for an interesting time though as we had loads of people stopping to chat drink and laugh at our half arsed attempt at pitching the tent.

Concerning food, just bring booze and trade it for a sausage and some meat with your German neighbours, should work as well.

I found the toilets to be one of the cleanest on festivals in general, especially if you went to the real ones, not the portapotties.

You can camp wherever there is space with a ticket (with the exceptions of the private camping side Müllenbach, where you also get electricity, the North loop, and the caravan camping).

Edited by Squig

Concerning food, just bring booze and trade it for a sausage and some meat with your German neighbours, should work as well.

I found the toilets to be one of the cleanest on festivals in general, especially if you went to the real ones, not the portapotties.

You can camp wherever there is space with a ticket (with the exceptions of the private camping side Müllenbach, where you also get electricity, the North loop, and the caravan camping).

It's crazy. Those who camp there say the 15 (20 now as you said) are well worth it. What you can do is just walk there this year and check it out and maybe decide for next year. You need to use their bus service for sure though, it's quite large and therefore far away from the stages. Also, I'd only recommend it if you wanna come by a car and bring lots of stuff (furniture, ...)