Films

Guest razz1e

no worries bud :rolleyes: . amazon's come back down in price I see, heard it'd gone back up to £80.

fantastic series; got up to a bit through season 5 earlier in the year just on downloads, so I thought about downlaoding the rest, but my internet connection in cornwall's pretty slow and I wanted to carry on watching so thought £50 was cheap as chips really.

I kinda collect dvds aswell (784 movies plus 101 tv series/concerts/standup comedy), so nice to add to the collection :lol:

Edited by philipsteak

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what the heck they were doing continuing the

Barksdale storylines.

- I was expecting a new story. Very exciting that they introduce layers of stories. I'm going to be watching this for the next few months aren't I?

Oh, and second best character called "Avon" I've seen on a long-running television series :rolleyes:

Spent the good part of ten hours on a plane watching films I had never seen before.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - For some reason I liked this. Maybe it was because some things struck a chord. I fearred it preached to the converted however, I mean as in those that really should pay attention to what it says, probably wouldn't get it in the first place without being told, and if they had it spelled out, would consider it some sort of injustice to themsleves and play the victim, much like the insecure emotional vampire in the title.

Kung Fu Panda - This was excellent. No pop-music interludes, best bits not shown in trailers (I didn't go to see it at the cinema because the trailer made it look like every other CGI shitfest - which was unfair). Animation was rather amazing. Nice to see Dreamworks now on par with Pixar.

Get Smart - Hated the trailer, thought it looked w*nk, didn't watch it in cinema same for the same reason as Kung Fu Panda. I need to take snooty no-fun reviews and shitty trailers with a pinch of salt from now on because like Kung Fu Panda I was surprised by this. I like the fact Carrell plays the character as an actually decent secret agent, who just suffers from a mix of bad fortune and male bravado, so you get a far more likable character than some bumbling-but-lucky secret agent - which usually happens with these things.

Hancock - Was pleasantly surprised by this. The "alcoholic superhero becomes paragon for western society" wasn't quite as badly handled as I fearred, but still had reservations with him

actually being told what to do by the "good guys" and becoming a traditional superhero. I would have liked a few more questions being asked by Hancock himself - mainly "why?" and a little more justification for doing that. Why would saving the ones he loved suddenly mean he's now a vigilante that deals with everyone else? It's the one thing that superhero films often leave out that is really important or it makes the character seem insincere and borderline proaganda (yes I know they arguably ARE propaganda-peddling characters anyway).

Edited by Purple Monkey

Beowulf - A not bad representation of one of the finest stories ever told. I've found myself screaming I AM BEOWULF any time I do something remotely masculine like hitting my cat. I also now have an insatiable thirst for mead and merrymaking. And the Angelina Jolie character is the most attractive computerised figure since Princess Peach.

The League of Gentlemen's Apocolypse - Fails to approach the hilariousness of the series, but an enjoyable hour and a half none-the-less.

Hancock - Was pleasantly surprised by this. The "alcoholic superhero becomes paragon for western society" wasn't quite as badly handled as I fearred, but still had reservations with him

actually being told what to do by the "good guys" and becoming a traditional superhero. I would have liked a few more questions being asked by Hancock himself - mainly "why?" and a little more justification for doing that. Why would saving the ones he loved suddenly mean he's now a vigilante that deals with everyone else? It's the one thing that superhero films often leave out that is really important or it makes the character seem insincere and borderline proaganda (yes I know they arguably ARE propaganda-peddling characters anyway).

Would have loved to have seen this concept done via Paul Verhoeven though, with an 18 rating as opposed to PG-13. Would have done the alcoholic superhero concept real justice I feel. I liked the homages to so many superheroes too.

Godlike race origin (Wonder Woman). The heroes "life" begins with a tragedy surrounding a night out at a theatre/cinema (Batman) he battles alcoholism and aggression (Iron Man) he's unstoppable save for an achilles heel, and believes he is alone for most of his life (Superman) and he is older than he appears (Wolverine)

I was really disappointed with Hancock. The nice little homages to other films was nice...but i still left the cinema asking why the f**k no one asked any questions. The remarkable pace at which the film turned from subtle to completely ridiculous was mad.

And what the f**k was with him magically coming back to life at the end, without moving anywhere??? then throwing himself out the window and just flying off???

I can see why they passed the script round Hollywood for 20 years.

I actually saw Sex and the City...my girlfriend took me...it wasn't that bad. Well, once i'd fallen asleep.

Edited by Purple Monkey

Got to watch Dare mo shiranai (No body knows) the other night. Rather depressing and sad film, even if it seem a little long. The first half hour or so drag on alot imo, but once you get into it it seemed t grab me a lot. It gave me pretty big emotional response so it succeeded in that respect. Plus the cinematography was beautiful. Lots of long lingering tracking shots, lots of high shots to remind you of the childrens situation and also lots of foot and hand close ups which I didnt quite get...

Tbh I dont know if i'd want to watch it again, but it touched me, thats for sure.

I finally got round to making time for myself to watch The Crow last night. I enjoyed it, and it brought a tear to my eye at various points throughout.....that was a bit unexpected!

I also watched Lemony Snickett's A Series Of Unfortunate Events........it was strangely enjoyable and the soundtrack was f**king ace........another unexpected!

Ohhhh AND I saw Apollo13 at the weekend which I've never seen before, it made me feel very claustraphobic.

A dark, comedy, adult animation called Free Jimmy was released today, unfortunately at just a handful of cinemas.

A pirate copy of this was doing the rounds in my local a couple of years ago and everyone thought it was brilliant - we've been waiting with baited breath for a cinema release.

Some film critics are saying it's absolutely shit, but then some film critics can be a bit up themselves. I suppose it's a love it or hate it sort of film but for those who love it, it will be a cult classic. I think it will be well received by most in the efests community.

A dark, comedy, adult animation called Free Jimmy was released today, unfortunately at just a handful of cinemas.

A pirate copy of this was doing the rounds in my local a couple of years ago and everyone thought it was brilliant - we've been waiting with baited breath for a cinema release.

Some film critics are saying it's absolutely shit, but then some film critics can be a bit up themselves. I suppose it's a love it or hate it sort of film but for those who love it, it will be a cult classic. I think it will be well received by most in the efests community.

Did an Iron Man and Incredible Hulk double bill.

Iron man wins hands down but The Hulk was better than expected if a little predictable. They are obviously planning a double header.

How cool is Rob Downey???......................................... pretty damm cool.