T minus & counting 2019

OG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Funny. I thought this was going to be the last post so I'm shamelessly bumping it.. Because I can 

Hello guy,

That painting is off the scale fab, in my opinion. I really, really like  it. I'd be up for paying for a print off it, if you do such a thing,  and  the price was right.  PM me  if you are up  for it.

As an aside, and talking of The Price is Right - anybody remember the program on telly with Leslie Crowther? Many, many moons ago now, our neighbours were on the program, and won the bloody thing. We were invited around to their house to see the prizes in their front lounge, and it was Alladin's Cave in there with electrical treasures.

38 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello guy,

That painting is off the scale fab, in my opinion. I really, really like  it. I'd be up for paying for a print off it, if you do such a thing,  and  the price was right.  PM me  if you are up  for it.

As an aside, and talking of The Price is Right - anybody remember the program on telly with Leslie Crowther? Many, many moons ago now, our neighbours were on the program, and won the bloody thing. We were invited around to their house to see the prizes in their front lounge, and it was Alladin's Cave in there with electrical treasures.

Agree, the painting is magic, I have only ever painted by numbers (Xmas present 45 years ago!), I have t an artistic bone in me.

I remember The Price is Right, both with Leslie Crowther and later with Brucie; come on down! I can’t claim to know any participants of that show but I do know someone who won on blankety blank, hosted by Les Dawson, oh and someone else who met his wife as a contestant on blind date, though she wasn’t the one that he originally picked!

40 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Agree, the painting is magic, I have only ever painted by numbers (Xmas present 45 years ago!), I have t an artistic bone in me.

I remember The Price is Right, both with Leslie Crowther and later with Brucie; come on down! I can’t claim to know any participants of that show but I do know someone who won on blankety blank, hosted by Les Dawson, oh and someone else who met his wife as a contestant on blind date, though she wasn’t the one that he originally picked!

You know someone who won on Blankety Blank with Les Dawson! Wow.  :bow:  Les Dawson was ace, and Blankety Blank, just so crap, it was good!

And then you go and double whammy me with the Blind Date thing!

Right then oneeye - get this;

Picture the situation. I'm on my way to primary school in the early 1970's,  when this happened ( I'm copying and pasting what I wrote to someone else about this, to save me time - see below);

There we were waiting for a number 58 or 60 to come along to get to our primary school (this was in the 70's). We must have just missed a couple of buses because it turned out that we had to wait a while at the bus stop. While we were there we witnessed a copper pull over a driver on the opposite side of the road. It was probably only 20 feet or so over the other side, so we had a very clear vision of what was going on. So, there's this bloke's car parked in front of the policeman's car. The two of them are adjacent to the policeman's car remonstrating with each other, and then guess what happens? What happens is a top of the range green Jaguar car with green tinted windows pulls up behind the coppers car, and the bloke inside it gets out. Now, even though we were young we watched telly and knew full well who that bloke was. It was Hughie Green, whose show Opportunity Knocks was the big hit of the day (the green car with green tinted windows must have been his idea of a joke, I'm guessing). Anyway, in them days this was rather akin to meeting God (OK, well that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean). So Hughie Green starts talking to the two of them and they are obviously in awe. Then he concentrates on talking to and involving the police officer directly. And this is the clever bit (psychology at work) - as he is talking to and holding the amazed gaze of the police officer he is, with his right arm, doing a shooing movement. He keeps on doing this until the bloke that the copper has caught, finally catches on what Hughie Green is doing. The bloke then just turns around walks back to his car and drives off. Hughie Green notices that his plan has succeeded, talks a bit longer and then presumably says right I have to be on my way now, says his goodbye's and returns to his car. The police officer then turns around to deal with the person he'd pulled up, but he is long gone. Hughie Green then pulls out, drives past the policeman and his car, and heads in towards the city centre. That I saw with my own eyes. A genius at work.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello guy,

What no cuddly toy.. 

Thanks old son we sort it out OK 

G

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You know someone who won on Blankety Blank with Les Dawson! Wow.  :bow:  Les Dawson was ace, and Blankety Blank, just so crap, it was good!

And then you go and double whammy me with the Blind Date thing!

Right then oneeye - get this;

Picture the situation. I'm on my way to primary school in the early 1970's,  when this happened ( I'm copying and pasting what I wrote to someone else about this, to save me time - see below);

There we were waiting for a number 58 or 60 to come along to get to our primary school (this was in the 70's). We must have just missed a couple of buses because it turned out that we had to wait a while at the bus stop. While we were there we witnessed a copper pull over a driver on the opposite side of the road. It was probably only 20 feet or so over the other side, so we had a very clear vision of what was going on. So, there's this bloke's car parked in front of the policeman's car. The two of them are adjacent to the policeman's car remonstrating with each other, and then guess what happens? What happens is a top of the range green Jaguar car with green tinted windows pulls up behind the coppers car, and the bloke inside it gets out. Now, even though we were young we watched telly and knew full well who that bloke was. It was Hughie Green, whose show Opportunity Knocks was the big hit of the day (the green car with green tinted windows must have been his idea of a joke, I'm guessing). Anyway, in them days this was rather akin to meeting God (OK, well that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean). So Hughie Green starts talking to the two of them and they are obviously in awe. Then he concentrates on talking to and involving the police officer directly. And this is the clever bit (psychology at work) - as he is talking to and holding the amazed gaze of the police officer he is, with his right arm, doing a shooing movement. He keeps on doing this until the bloke that the copper has caught, finally catches on what Hughie Green is doing. The bloke then just turns around walks back to his car and drives off. Hughie Green notices that his plan has succeeded, talks a bit longer and then presumably says right I have to be on my way now, says his goodbye's and returns to his car. The police officer then turns around to deal with the person he'd pulled up, but he is long gone. Hughie Green then pulls out, drives past the policeman and his car, and heads in towards the city centre. That I saw with my own eyes. A genius at work.

Very good there yogs :)

Opportunity Knocks was a must see back the day. I did think at the beginning of your story that you were going to say that it was Jonathan King in the Jag, which could have have put a completely different slant on it!

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

Very good there yogs :)

Opportunity Knocks was a must see back the day. I did think at the beginning of your story that you were going to say that it was Jonathan King in the Jag, which could have have put a completely different slant on it!

Hello Oneeye,

Funny you should mention Jonathon King. When I first started going out as an underage 15 or 16 year old, I used to go out with my older brothers in to a pub in Birmingham city centre (oddly enough, called The Gaiety). Anyway, around that time I was informed that one (very good looking lad) from their old school (which they had left 2 and 3 years earlier) in the pub was the 'boy friend' of Jonathon King. Not only that, but this lad (who was open about his sexuality) told my brother and his mates that Jimmy Saville was a paedophile and a member of PIE. This would have been around 1980. So, if my brothers could tell me that then, why couldn't one of Jimmy Saville's  acquaintances have spilled the beans way back then, and saved a lot of children from a lot of abuse.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

So, if my brothers could tell me that then, why couldn't one of Jimmy Saville's  acquaintances have spilled the beans way back then, and saved a lot of children from a lot of abuse.

Horrible lot, and the fact it was covered up so much is horrendous. So many people, in positions of 'power', knew and chose not to do anything. Makes my blood boil.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Oneeye,

Funny you should mention Jonathon King. When I first started going out as an underage 15 or 16 year old, I used to go out with my older brothers in to a pub in Birmingham city centre (oddly enough, called The Gaiety). Anyway, around that time I was informed that one (very good looking lad) from their old school (which they had left 2 and 3 years earlier) in the pub was the 'boy friend' of Jonathon King. Not only that, but this lad (who was open about his sexuality) told my brother and his mates that Jimmy Saville was a paedophile and a member of PIE. This would have been around 1980. So, if my brothers could tell me that then, why couldn't one of Jimmy Saville's  acquaintances have spilled the beans way back then, and saved a lot of children from a lot of abuse.

Yep, totally agree. The thing is back then no one would listen or believe let alone take action; it’s hard enough today. A very good friend of mine spent his childhood in care, still doesn’t talk about it (he’s 55), totally made him the person he is (he is OK but does have excess baggage, though red wine and vodka tends to balance his mind).

Anyhow, enough of the serious stuff on this snowy Sunday morning, a good day for staying in and over indulging I reckon; enjoy :)

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

Horrible lot, and the fact it was covered up so much is horrendous. So many people, in positions of 'power', knew and chose not to do anything. Makes my blood boil.

Yep, there are some right nobheads in this world but thankfully there remains more good people than bad; long may that continue.

If only everyday was a Glastonbury day eh! 

• Upvote 1