Leftfield - the act not the tent

carreg_cennen

Did anyone persevere with Leftfield's set and enjoy it? I was pretty mystified by the couple of songs I stayed for? very minimalist and bass heavy I was kinda expecting something a little more mainstream - Or did it improve as it went on? I was also struggling with the whole white screens thing as you couldn't really see if there was anyone there - did this change later ? should I have stayed longer? or did I miss the whole point and should just shut up and go away ?

Yeah I stayed and did enjoy it although I think Neil Barnes really should incorporate a couple more Leftism tracks into the set because that album remains one of the all-time classic electronic albums and the reason people are such fans in the first place.

It's hard to accept a Leftfield set without Song of Life, Release The Pressure and Melt.

That said I still had a great time... the new album is darker and heavier in general anyway, so the fact the live set sounds like that is no surprise

I loved it.

Played Afrika Shox, Inspection (check one) and Phat Planet.

Too often acts have not moved on. Playing 3 old tunes out of 10 is hardly forgetting the past either.

Little fish and Shaker Obsession worked really well.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I thought the vast majority of songs from the new album worked well.

Could do without Head and Shoulders I think and put Song of Life in there.

Almost akin to Underworld doing a live set without Cowgirl... unthinkable.

They played three tunes from Rhythm and Stealth, which seemed perfect.

Three from Leftism and it would've been ideal.

Mind you if you'd seen the smile on my face at the end you'd realise that at the time I didn't give a shit really!

I'm not a great fan of the Sonic tent though.

Edited by Space Shanty

Song Of Life is one of the finest pieces of electronic music ever recorded for me.  I suppose it's good that he's moving on, but that track is something special.

Yeah that's my thinking.

Some tunes are just so iconic they should always be played.

That's definitely one of them IMO.

But it was still a class set and it shows the strength of the new album that he played 7 of the 10 tracks on it during the set and they held up so well

I absolutely loved it. First time I'd spent any time in silver hayes in 2 visits to worthy farm and I thought the sound and atmosphere was spot on.

I agree about the lack of leftism tunes though, that would have made it a set to hang your hat on.

Very pleased I made the decision to leave the Mothership early.

Phat planet was my tune of the weekend

I left it really happy. An act I've always wanted to see. Afro Left and Song of life would have made it perfect.

I'm not into the Head and Shoulders tune either. It was the only low point of the gig. I saw the Sleaford Mods earlier in the day and loved them, the vocal style didn't seem to work on the track to me.. but otherwise I was thoroughly entertained.

I saw Leftfield at Boardmasters 4 years ago, and despite Leftism being 10+ years old Neil played it from start to finish. It was one of my all time fave gigs, and it was billed as Leftism.

Move to 2015 and he is touring Alternative Light Source, so naturally that's what he's going to play most of!

Saw him play The exact same gig at Kentish Town 2 weeks before and it was incredible. I thought the bass was louder, but I guess that depends on where you are stood.

So, in summary, if you went expecting a trip down memory lane then you might well of felt short changed. And he doesn't come out from the screens until the end.

Edited by Philomena Cunk

Got bored, too quit, and Head and shoulders really pissed me off...also WOW could be heard clearly over the top of it.

Really needed Song of Life...

Its like Faithless never playing Insomnia, or God is a DJ.... without these classic tracks, these bands wouldn't exist !

I did persevere, but I was massively disappointed.

I'm not into the really heavy bass stuff as much any more so wanted to here some more of their bouncier stuff.

They've always done lots of both types so not that much of a surprise.  Just thought that the roof was ready to come off the place, but they never took the chance.

• 2 weeks later...