Coach ticket questions

Pbird81

The train is much quicker then but at least we have a ticket!!!

How long does it take on the train? Is it more expensive than the bus too?

Bear in mind with the train that you've then got to get the (free) bus from Castle Cary. It's probably not a big deal when you're getting to the festival. The return might be a different story - especially if you leave on Monday morning with everyone else. From what First Great Western put out, you have to get the train that you booked on if you don't have an open ticket - but if you're still stuck in a queue at CC you might not be able to. Someone who's done it might be able to give better info.

I got the train to the festival (from London) last year, on the Friday - and I think it was quicker than the bus would have been - don't know from elsewhere. I didn't fancy the station on Monday for the reason above, so I got the Nat Express bus back on Monday.

I don't recommend that as the Nat Ex single was almost as much as the return - I'd have been better just getting Nat Express return to the festival (that's what I'll do this year).

However I get there (usually coach package) I always get the train back as I go on to visit relatives after the festival.

I've never had any issue at Castle Cary, it gets busy but not out of hand and they have a great system, it's not a free-for-all by any means. You are directed into the queue for where you are going and then allowed on to the platform itself when your train is nearly due, they make announcements made constantly, staff available for questions everywhere and handing out free water. to the poster about pre-booked tickets, if you think you might miss your train and talk to a staff member, they will allow people through with tickets for booked train only.

I must have been at Castle Cary at least 11 times over the years and I've never had a problem even when travelling on my own with two small children.

I really commend the staff for how easy they make it, they do a fantastic job for a very small country station that probably sees about a 100 people tops on a normal day.

Plus you can buy tickets there on the day, though there can be a queue and pre booked is much better.

However I get there (usually coach package) I always get the train back as I go on to visit relatives after the festival.

I've never had any issue at Castle Cary, it gets busy but not out of hand and they have a great system, it's not a free-for-all by any means. You are directed into the queue for where you are going and then allowed on to the platform itself when your train is nearly due, they make announcements made constantly, staff available for questions everywhere and handing out free water. to the poster about pre-booked tickets, if you think you might miss your train and talk to a staff member, they will allow people through with tickets for booked train only.

I must have been at Castle Cary at least 11 times over the years and I've never had a problem even when travelling on my own with two small children.

I really commend the staff for how easy they make it, they do a fantastic job for a very small country station that probably sees about a 100 people tops on a normal day.

Plus you can buy tickets there on the day, though there can be a queue and pre booked is much better.

Thanks for that... Maybe I need to think about The train this year...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on cling wrapping a couple of crates along with my tent securely onto a sack truck type device. Surley this has been done before.

We had a 250ish litre suitcase filled with our tent, couple of crates of beer, other camping stuff like stools and gas hob, the missus's clothes etc all fastened to a sack truck, this fit in the bus hold perfectly and made dragging to to camp easier too

I'm planning on cling wrapping a couple of crates along with my tent securely onto a sack truck type device. Surley this has been done before.

They say they can't guarantee trollies will be accommodated along with other excess luggage but I'd say it all depends on whether the driver cares or not as you are loading or what the supervisor is like.

This year we were last to board our coach and there was no room left at all in the hold and no-one was prepared to do anything about it either. 6 of us had to board with everything we had brought and pile it under/over/on us for the journey. Luckily we pack light and there was one spare seat we commandeered for some of our stuff but it was still a fairly uncomfortable journey. It was only from Bristol too.

Apparently this happened to lots of other people too (and some were giving out yards, especially some guy who had travelled from Glasgow with all his gear on his lap) so I do wonder if they will start to get more pro-active next year about what is feasible to bring on a coach with limited hold space.