Galtres Festival destroy Traders Lives

adamscae

How could they have enough funds to set up a new festival if they are under police investigation for not paying traders. I understand with new company they have all the doors open, but with the same trustees??? And logo is also the same. It all sound like a big joke! It is clear how this new company is not responsible for the old company depts. So why should traders trust Mr Houston, if he cheated them on the first place. Also, this guy already done that in the past to other traders.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he simply scrapped the old business with the "old" debts and liabilities (half a million) and the non-payment issues and started a new business called Parklands Trading Limited (company number 09216818) which is a subsidary of the Galtres Festival Charitable Foundation (which also has James Houston as the principle trustee). This new business trades from exactly the same address in Easingwold as the bust business. The Charity has about £40,000 in the bank which I assume they are going to use to pay for the festival this year - don't ask me where they got this money from, I haven't a clue. This cash has magically appeared, as they only had a few thousand in the bank this time last year.

My guess is that the £40k is the licensing fee that the festival company pays the charitable foundation for the right to put on the festival. How can the festival afford that amount? Again only my summising is that whether real money or paperwork money, it's from ticket sales.

My guess is that the £40k is the licensing fee that the festival company pays the charitable foundation for the right to put on the festival. How can the festival afford that amount? Again only my summising is that whether real money or paperwork money, it's from ticket sales.

James Houston set the new co up on THE SAME DAY the old co declared bankruptcy. It seems obvious to me that this money is revenue from last years festival. The "licensing" is a bit of a cash merry-go-round seeing as the same person (James Houston) owns the event company and also acts as the principle trustee of the festival "charity". It's pretty obvious that the bankruptcy proceedings were premeditated, probably planned before Galtres 2014 took place.

Edited by JosefS

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted James Houston when this issue first croppd up, to ask if he could give his side of the story. I got no response.

He got back in touch yesterday, and has said some things to me in some emails titled "private and confidential", and while I'm not really sure if they deserves being kept private, I am going to respect that. However, I can't say I'm impressed with what he's said.

In those emails he's voiced his dislike of this thread and suggested things might get legal around it, so for your own protection please ensure that anything you post doesn't step outside of any relevant civil or criminal laws.

Edited by eFestivals

What really annoys me on all of this is the spin he puts on things ! We haven't had OUR TAKINGS ! Plain and simple ! It wasn't his to take and should NEVER EVER have been in his account with access to pay off HIS debts and bills !

Why should we keep quiet and put up and shut up ? He's ruined our lives and businesses and wants us to go away quietly ! how can he threaten us ? Where is the justice ?

How can the future of Galtres festival be safe when organiser James Houston have stolen more than 200K from traders??? This story has been around for more than a week now and everybody is discussed with what had happened, SO WHY SOME WEBSITES PROMOTE AN EVENT THAT HAS BEEN SET UP WITH STOLEN MONEY???

Just to be clear I have not been affected by this, I am just curious to know how this event can go ahead in 2015. Who would possibly trade there ? How could theybexpect to get the credit which must be required ( I'm assuming that not all bills for festivals are paid before the services are received, could be wrong). Are artists going to be happy playing there ? Where the venue paid ?

Maybe I'm naive but even with a bankruptcy agreement in place surely the trust required for a company is gone.

I'm one of affected traders I'm still owed thousands ! I've had to forego some festivals in 2015 as can't afford the pitch fees !

I'm sure that the likes of security staging portaloos etc will be paid in advance as they probably wouldn't agree to touch Galtres again !

And Duncombe park the venue was obviously paid as its hosting the festival again !!! Which I find shocking to say the least !

Thanks Ringo _Spar

I hadn't a clue how to attach links !

We replied to his letter about 4 of us ! But comments got removed !

Basically he can give his spin on it all but we aren't allowed to respond !!!!

His website is now even advertising woodlands 2016 !!

Were the comments on the second article less than flattering?

eFestivals has come under pressure from James Houston, about some of the content posted on here - which he's claiming as libellous. I suspect that similar might have gone on with newspaper comments.

The difficulty with libel is that, ultimately, what is libellous and what isn't is decided by a judge, and a publisher has to take a view on what a judge might conclude. It's far from an easy line to steer.

In case you're not aware, both the writer of some words and its publisher - together, or individually - can be sued by someone for libel, so it would be a mistake for any poster here to think that their public anonymity here via a non-revealing username protects them from comeback from what they've posted.

I'm very happy for people to expose what has happened via the posting of facts and opinions here, but please do remember to keep within what is fair and reasonable (what might be reasonably concluded by anyone), rather than make unsubstantiated allegations or stretch the truth. That way, James Houston isn't able to shut down debate or bad publicity.

I love the line

"Fortunately, Peter Stark’s mistrust of our proposals (Gazette & Herald letters, Feb 11) is not widespread."

really ?

and

"Our plan is to capitalise on the enormous goodwill around the event for the financial benefit of everyone involved."

everyone involved, eh ?.....thats nice

I wonder how many people have bought tickets for the "new" festival ?

BTW this twitter feed is interesting

https://twitter.com/Galtres/status/562226361902039041/photo/1

that was linked from their front page :)

BTW (again), I think it was Peter Stark who I bought my breakfast off each day at Galtres, very nice sausage and egg buttie, I now feel guilty he didnt get the money for it :(

The bit I am struggling with is why they are not honouring the early bird ticket sales for 2015? Are the people who bought the early birds expected to pay again for the Parklands event.

Secondly I find it worrying that they are advertising a 2016 festival already but under another name.