PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

Thats a load. You know your wrong and try to prove it by single handedly rejecting positive reviews from the most well respected music journalists on the planet. I tried to stear clear of the fanboy reviews (NME, Q etc) and gone for reviews by some Decent magazines, but again you reject them and think your right - again. I would accept that you find them average or boring, if you could accept that a lot of other people find them the oppisite of that. But somehow I dont think you could.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you seem to fail in seeing that I am not going to accept the 'opinions' of media journalists as a resource for objective truth. They are firstly part of the sales machine and secondly the purveyors of some of the worst descriptions of music that I've ever heard.

Objective criticism would way up the pro's and con's and lay it all on the table for you to decide the merits of that particular music. That doesn't happen in media journalism. It decides whether this is good product (mainly image) to sell as British culture - this is its agenda. If it likes this product it will then use positive descriptions of the particular band, borrowed from positive ideas of the band, to write up and promote to the masses - this is easy to identify (as I did with your FF reviews). If it doesn't like it, for instance Pearl Jam, it will use negative terms, borrowing from ready known negative ideas of the band, to discredit it.

British music journalism and its journalists are amongst the laziest in the world. Self-perpetuating and scared of inspiration; the majority don't even bother to listen to the tunes they purport to critique.

Open your eyes bud.

Being one yourself (or so youve claimed)

And I agree with you about the state of modern music journalism. Im a great fan of quality journalsim, I love lester Bangs, Rolling stone, Sniffing glue, and NME in there heyday and still read them a lot today. Now more than anything I hate the way they dont seem to have an opinion. Back in the day they ranted and raved, and it was 5 stars or 1 star half the time. Now they seem so neutral and give anything and everything 4. But I was using those quotes to show that a lot of people DO lke Franz and they aren't Bad sorry average

There is no doubt about hurt. Listning to NIN version recently it is so boring and lifeless. Johnny cash makes that song - no doubt. I haven't heard the original of rusty cage in a while but I still think the cash version is better. I think it's one of his best from unahined

Edited by thomasowen

There is no doubt about hurt. Listning to NIN version recently it is so boring and lifeless. Johnny cash makes that song - no doubt. I haven't heard the original of rusty cage in a while but I still think the cash version is better. I think it's one of his best from unahined

2) It's not better. No, no, no. That song is a complex and sophisticated grunge song, and Cash just simplifies it into a country style. It's nowhere near as good, especially for a man who has proved that he can interpret rock music very shrewdly.

I prefer Cash's version. It's a very emotional song, and that translates better into a simple get up of just a man and his acoustic than a 'complex sophisticated grunge song'. Not everything has to be complicated, simple can be better.

Johnny Cash is up there with Dylan. Trent Reznor???? Avin a bubble aint ya? Downward Spiral is ok for a while...and the songs The Fragile > Just Like You Imagined are decent, but apart from that he's just an average composer. f**k his words and singing are atrocious. Continuously writes about stuff that is on NO ONE'S mind and in the most souless manner imaginable. Juat f**k off now. Crappidy crap crap crap.

Cash though.

Big up the Cash-monster. Respect.

P.S. Just saw Roger Waters and The Who, so maybe my judgement's clouded :-/

Johnny Cash is up there with Dylan. Trent Reznor???? Avin a bubble aint ya? Downward Spiral is ok for a while...and the songs The Fragile > Just Like You Imagined are decent, but apart from that he's just an average composer. f**k his words and singing are atrocious. Continuously writes about stuff that is on NO ONE'S mind and in the most souless manner imaginable. Juat f**k off now. Crappidy crap crap crap.