PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list of songs i wish to hear from PJ seem to grow with every album purchase:

Once

Alive

Even flow

Black

Spin the black circle

wishlist

given to fy

corduroy

Dissident

Animal

Daughter

Go

Better Man

Jeremy

Nothingman

Do the evolution

Life wasted

save you

Yellow ledbetter

I still don't know pearl jam anywhere near as much as i wish to know them. These are just a few songs i listen to regularly and have grown to love! im sure there a tons more if i could match songs to titles!

Wishlist is an absolute favourite now. I think it is easily one of their most powerful songs and it hits me everytime i listen to it!

Off topic another absolutely briliant song that is hitting me quite powerfully at the moment is passenger by the deftones. Anyone else go through phases were certain songs really hit you emotionally and either make you shiver or give you a powerful surge of energy!

"Right, so now your "massive collection of music" enables you to tell me what the most fruitful period in music history was? Behave yourself.

And have you stopped to consider why you think the nineties was the most fruitful decade? I'm sure my father would argue with you a great deal on that point, and I would even stoop to your level and say he has a larger collection of music than you, even though it isn't really the point.

He didn't grow up in the nineties, so that music was not as relevant to him as you - don't you get it? You worship these bands and base your opinions of everything after them on the fact that you heard them when your musical taste was forming. That's why they touched you more, and why you rate them over everyone else! My father would tell you to shut up and listen to music from the sixties, my grandfather the forties, because that's when they formed their tastes!

It's not rocket science to understand that is it? And the fact that 14-year-olds are basing their tastes on what they're hearing today... Yet you still berate them as being clueless, just as my father did to me and would to you."

I was born in the 80, and as a result the 90's were when my musical taste were forming. I do think that in general the 90's were better than the present in terms of quality, however i feel i must disagree that it was the most productive era.

For me it has to be the 70's

come on people....led zep, david bowie, John Lennon, pink floyd, the who....the explosion of punk music.................. i could sit here for hours naming absolute legend after legend that captivated music fans and had a profound effect on peoples lives (These artists still do - remember the joy and AWE of pink floyd reuniting for live 8?? if pulp reformed tomorrow no-one would realistically give a shit

All of the all time greats were at the top of their game during the 70's. - Indeed the 70's really was "The era of the guitar"

without these artists the years following (i.e 80's 90's 00's etc) would have been very different indeed.

for me, in years to come bands like the smashing pumpkins, pearl jam, radiohead and the britpop groups will be remembered fondly, but the guys from the 70's were the proper rockers. the 90's guys wrote nice tunes, but proper 70's music makes my spine tingle.

(while i think about it, i would argue that in 20 years time there may be two bands from the 90's that would deserve to be in the same bracket at the 70's legends if they carry on as they are at present. Tool, and radiohead.), in my opinion they are up there with pink floyd and led zeppelin :-)

Edited by funkymunkey

For me the 70's was an awful period, creatively speaking.

They merely followed a sociological revolution reflecting the birth of post-modernism that signified the fracturing of ideas such as modernism, politics, religion, society and structure and it's replacement by revolution, feminism, post-colonialism, equal rights, sexual liberation etc. Art was very reflective in this time, and as such naive, rather than questioning, poetic and genuinely expressive. I'm not at all denying it; it was an essential birth of diversity and the new age, however, it is very much naive and of a time. I love some stuff from the 70's, I just find it a little strange that it is seen as such a wonderful time when music has become so much more colourful and freely expressive since.

In the words of the genius Jeff Buckley 'f**k the 60's, f**k the 70's, f**k the 80's, we are here and it's happening now.'

If it pertains to something yeah.

However, I don't see that organic seed being planted currently as it was in the 90's (which is what Buckley was referring to). In fact, and as you know, I can't see that it has taken root and evolved in any current bands.

p.s. I do not subscribe to either the cream or the cycle theory. Though, neither do I subscribe to a linear theory. Where I'm going with this, I simply do not know?!

EDIT: Your cycle theory certainly suits the British music industry. Finished with this now, throw it away, and start with this now.

Of course there are good bands all the time, but the way they get big is either longevity or media exposure, funded by record labels. Media exposure does happen in cycles, regardless of whether the bands are any good.

I agree the cream doesn't always rise to the top, but often it does.

And why the hell does it matter at all whether someone "makes it big" or not? I couldn't care less if a band is fabricated or whatever - if I like a song, I like it. I'm not going to turn round and say "actually, that's a load of crap" simply because it's by the Kaiser Chiefs.

The world is an unjust place, loads of bands I rate really highly (Sensefield, Del Amitri, Wedding Present) should, in my opinion, be massive but aren't. It dosn't stop me loving them and more importantly, it doesn't stop them making great music.

I think the only problem comes when a band changes from what they were to achieve success - selling out. I lose respect for a band that way, but I still wouldn't risk missing out on decent music by comlpetely writing them off. That smacks of biting your nose off to spite your face in my eyes, which I would advise no music fan to do.

I think the problem is that people that are no longer able to find the music that they like, because they don't know where to look; it's not in the mainstream; or whatever, feel that it should be put in their lap like it used to.

I am a bit of a music snob and don't like certain bands for certain things, but I appreciate that that is just my opinion and will never berate anyone (on a music webiste at least, I do with people that I know all the time) for liking a band.

Cultseeker and Olivavu: have you heard Nine Black Alps? And try a Manchester band called No Hope In New Jersey.

I dunno, if George Bush or Idi Amin brought out the greatest record in the world I reckon I wouldn't like it on principle.

You can never hear all the music in the world that you would appreciate and like, there's too much, so just be happy with what you do like and always keep your ears and minds open. That's what I reckon anyway.

People are twats about what they think it's cool to like. I have had people come up to me in clubs and ask for:

the Stone Roses, not this shite, a minute and a half into I am the Ressurection

Beck, whilst I'm playing Beck

The Arctic Monkeys (before they were really big), when palying the Arctic Monkeys.

Basically people are c**ts.

I disagree entirely.

Without ideas, music (as with all other art) is redundant. I'm saying that the culture we live in is at an all time low. Look at television, advertising and sports, it's all as instantly appealing as it is baseless. Why should music be any different.

To keep it Pearl Jam related, and to back up what I said about ideas being the foundation/inspiration for good music:

'The reason this album is so angry and urgent is because we pick out of the atmosphere the thoughts and ideas circling around us and try to put that into song form. With America in the state that it is right now, you can see why the album is the way it is.' - Eddie Vedder

I disagree entirely.

Without ideas, music (as with all other art) is redundant. I'm saying that the culture we live in is at an all time low. Look at television, advertising and sports, it's all as instantly appealing as it is baseless. Why should music be any different.

To keep it Pearl Jam related, and to back up what I said about ideas being the foundation/inspiration for good music:

'The reason this album is so angry and urgent is because we pick out of the atmosphere the thoughts and ideas circling around us and try to put that into song form. With America in the state that it is right now, you can see why the album is the way it is.' - Eddie Vedder

You could argue that television is better and worse these days. There is certainly much more crap stuff on the TV, but then with digital TV there is a lot more choice and though maybe it can be hard to find there is a lot of good on. Growing up like most it was pretty much the 4 main channels so not much choice, now god knows how many channels there are.

I could now choose to watch a animal or hoistory channel and some kind of documentary or something like that. Though on the flip side there are channels just dedicated to reality tv etc so bit of a double edged sword really.

Where as there is the choice there to watch something better there is also the choice there to watch something worse.