Books

Guest chappiepunk

the story really pulls you in, and once it kicks into gear it doesn't stop. takes a good 250 pages to really kick off though. and the character development is brilliant. its based around the history of a family of industrialists called Vanger, and there are about 30 of them to get your head round - I didnt think I could cope with all the names but the way the writer tells the story you just know who he is talking about after a very short time.

I'd deffo recommend you borrow it off of the cheesemeister when he has finished it. the third (and final) book came out last week. the author sadly died without completing the fourth.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend from work has lent me 'The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend' by David Gemmell. I've only read up to page 30 so far (its been a busy few days) but it seems good so far. :D

Wilde only penned one novel. Does this mean we are including any and all written works? If so, then Nietzsche pisses on them both alongside the work of everyone else.

Nietzsche

Bhabha

Foucault

Derrida

Said

That's how I've got it figured.

Edited by dakyras

I know nobody acknowledged my post up there about the millenium trilogy, but I am going to reiterate the point.

clickety click

there's a really interesting story behind the books. Larsson was an "anti-hate" journalist, he worked 24/7, smoked 60 a day and refused to take his own health or safety (due to his job exposing nazis etc) seriously. He wrote what he intended to be 10 books in his spare time for his own enjoyment. He finished 3.5 books before dying young of a heart attack. He didnt live to see the massive success his books became.

books 1&2 are already out, and 3 comes out in october I think. I recieved my copy of the first book today, my dad has already read the second and absolutely loved it.

sorry if this is completely common knowledge - but I had never heard of the guy until last week.

I'm in the middle of Nation, by Terry Pratchett. I usually read crime thrillers, and the difference in the standard of writing is off the scale.

He's already had me crying and laughing out loud within the space of a few pages. It's meant to be a children's book, but it's quite dark.

He's phenomenal.

Edited by feral chile

• 3 months later...

I'm also re-reading the House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It's the only book that I have ever read which actually makes me wonder where I am and what's going on when I put it down. It's written in three layers, the story, the story of a guy who reads the story and a editorial on top of that. And the page layout. My God. The page layout.