Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Recent reads: Mitch Albom - for one more day: (this is the same guy that wrote The Five People You Meet In Heaven) If you liked the first one, you'll like this. It's sweet in a very sad way - man tries to kill himself, wakes up and sees his (deceased) mother and reevaluates some of the events in his life - relatively short and has a nice twist at the end that leaves you with quite a nice hangover from it. Read it in a day, so not a huge challenge but nice none the less

Lionel Shriver (she of We Need to Talk About Kevin fame) - Double Fault: I loved "...Kevin" with a passion, didn't realise this one is nearly 10 years old when I bought it. Lots of hints at the style that was perfected by the latter book. Very enjoyable, in an overly wordy way at times. Two tennis players meet and marry and the book follows their career/relationship over the next few years. This is very much not Mills and Boon - like her other book there is a real sense of impending disaster and it's a pretty uncomfortable read in places. Made me completely f**king miserable once I'd finished it, but recommended none the less!

Just seen on amazon that Jon McGregor (he of one-of-my-favourite-book-writing fame - If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things) has a new book out - So Many Ways To Begin. Anyone read it?

Edited by bunique

So far this month I have read.........

Burke, E., (1998) A Philosophical Enquiry into the Sublime London: Penguin.

Butterworth, C, E., (2001) Alfarabi: The Political Writings: Selected Amorphisms and Other Texts. London: Cornell University Press.

Frazer, E., Hornsby, J., & Lovibond, S., (1992) Ethics: A Feminist Reader Oxford: Blackwells.

Fuller, L, L., (1964) The Morality of Law, Yale University Press.

Hart, H, L, H., (1961) The Concept of Law New York: Oxford University Press.

Hume, D., (1963) Essays, Moral, Political and Literary Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Kant, I., (1929) Critique of Pure Reason New York: St. Martin's Press.

Kant, I., (1973) The Critique of Judgement Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Kermode, F., (2001) Shakespeare’s Language London: Penguin.

Lacan, J., (1959) Desire and the Interpretation of Desire in Hamlet. Taken from: S. Feldman (ed) Literature and Psychoanalysis London: Hopkins University Press.

Merleau-Ponty (1964) The Primacy of Perception London: Routledge

Montrose, L., (1996) The Purpose of Playing: Shakespeare and the Cultural Politics of the Elizabethan Theatre Chicago: University Of Chicago Press.

Nietzsche F., (2001) Thus Spake Zarathustra London: Penguin.

Orwell, G., (1954) Animal Farm Penguin: London.

Sholwater, M., (1985) Representing Ophelia: Women, Madness and the Responsibilities of Feminist Criticism. Taken fro: P. Parker & G.H. Harman (eds.) Shakespeare and the Question of Theory, London: Routledge.

Well, that's just the ones I can remember. The Hart text was/is very good.

Edited by Cultseeker

Butterworth, C, E., (2001) Alfarabi: The Political Writings: Selected Amorphisms and Other Texts. London: Cornell University Press.

Frazer, E., Hornsby, J., & Lovibond, S., (1992) Ethics: A Feminist Reader Oxford: Blackwells.

Hume, D., (1963) Essays, Moral, Political and Literary Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Lacan, J., (1959) Desire and the Interpretation of Desire in Hamlet. Taken from: S. Feldman (ed) Literature and Psychoanalysis London: Hopkins University Press.

Montrose, L., (1996) The Purpose of Playing: Shakespeare and the Cultural Politics of the Elizabethan Theatre Chicago: University Of Chicago Press.

Sholwater, M., (1985) Representing Ophelia: Women, Madness and the Responsibilities of Feminist Criticism. Taken fro: P. Parker & G.H. Harman (eds.) Shakespeare and the Question of Theory, London: Routledge.

Edited by dakyras

I have never really got into Alexandre Dumas, but as I read a staple diet of what I fear you guys would term pulp fiction it is probably not a surprise. Have just finished reading The Skin Gods by Richard Montanari which was pretty good, almost all the books I read are murder/crime/thriller types. I only have a James Patterson book to finish and then I have nothing left to read!! Any suggestions?? I will read almost anything.