Electric Picnic 2024 16th - 18th August

Well we have the dates for the event but still awaiting a line up announcement, will update whenever that happens.  Rumours of Noel Kahan, Lana Del Ray, Fontaines DC, Prodigy, Peggy Gou, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Skrillex and Gerry Cinnamon among others. 

Edited by pothead pixie

7 minutes ago, pothead pixie said:

Well line up announced, pretty meh I have to say, looks like Melvin moved the dates for Kylie.

spacer.png

More likely Lana Del Rey, then she's not gone for it after all. But yeah, pretty meh. 

That is an absolute stinker of a lineup. I have been to this festival a few times but it seems a million miles from what it used to be - - as I understand, a lot of the cool areas (Body & Soul, Other Voices and even Casa Bacardi?) are gone now too, so it's just... Shite, as my Irish friends would say. 😅

Posted (edited)

Still reeling from this line up announcement, I'm just curious, if Festival Republic announced this for Reading and Leeds or Latitude, I'd imagine it would sink like a lead balloon.  The problem with Ireland is that a lot of the acts on R&L and Latitude have announced standalone gigs in Dublin, Cork and Galway and in the North.  Dublin has a selection of parks that are turned into one day festivals, St Annes, Kilmainham, Trinity etc they swallow up a lot of the possible acts that could appear at EP.  Last great line up that EP really had was in 2018.  So come EP's first announcement there's not much left in the pot for what used to be a great festival. 

Edited by pothead pixie

21 hours ago, pothead pixie said:

Still reeling from this line up announcement, I'm just curious, if Festival Republic announced this for Reading and Leeds or Latitude, I'd imagine it would sink like a lead balloon.  The problem with Ireland is that a lot of the acts on R&L and Latitude have announced standalone gigs in Dublin, Cork and Galway and in the North.  Dublin has a selection of parks that are turned into one day festivals, St Annes, Kilmainham, Trinity etc they swallow up a lot of the possible acts that could appear at EP.  Last great line up that EP really had was in 2018.  So come EP's first announcement there's not much left in the pot for what used to be a great festival. 

Thing is, Festival Republic book a pretty wide tranche of festivals all at once. I'm sure when you're negotiating with the R&L headliners or Lolla that you could add EP into the mix. 

The big problem here is that the festival sells out sight unseen year after year. This lineup has annoyed a lot of people, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put tickets out in September or December and they sell out again. 

Ireland is a marketplace that loves big gigs and days out, and while there are a hundred big standalone gigs, EP is the only major camping festival (all together now being the next biggest at around one third of the capacity I think?) so it dominates with no competition. 

The best thing that could happen for it in terms of line up is some real competition - a new festival in mid June, or early August, with 50,000 tickets and good headline acts that would make people think twice about which event they want to go to. But I don't see who has the cash to sink into it when the one off shows are cheaper for a promoter to do and, therefore, are less of a risk.