Roskilde Festival 2024

jonathansoegaard

1 hour ago, Leorio_19 said:

Hi guys, a couple of questions regarding tickets: how fast do they usually sell?  is it better if I get the ticket (full pass) now before the price increases or is it still too early? I saw that the price is now 2440 dkk (which is around €330) on Ticketmaster and it is more or less an average figure for festivals so I was wondering what do you guys recommend... thanks in advance

Depends entirely on who is announced and when. But usually it sells out roughly around the time the full lineup drops (Q1 next year)

• Like 1

Doja Cat confirmed at Opener Festival on the same dates as Roskilde. I think she’s 99% in, specially she was already on the cancelled linuep in 2020. Not sure if she’s going to be a headliner, but I think she will be the second headliner. She has a huge following. And I think that rules out Dua Lipa.

I think it might look like this:

-Foo Fighters 

-Doja Cat

-Pulp and LCD Soundsystem/Smashing Pumpkins

-Billie Eilish/Karol G 

Edited by festivalguy97

On 12/7/2023 at 8:14 PM, festivalguy97 said:

Doja Cat confirmed at Opener Festival on the same dates as Roskilde. I think she’s 99% in, specially she was already on the cancelled linuep in 2020. Not sure if she’s going to be a headliner, but I think she will be the second headliner. She has a huge following. And I think that rules out Dua Lipa.

I think it might look like this:

-Foo Fighters 

-Doja Cat

-Pulp and LCD Soundsystem/Smashing Pumpkins

-Billie Eilish/Karol G 

Update:

-Foo Fighters

-Doja Cat

-Smashing Pumpkins/Pulp

-Billie Eilish

Karol G is out because she announced only stadium tour dates in Europe. LCD Soundsystem could be a possibility for Syd for Solen. 

17 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

More Lana dates popping up circling Roskilde: she is in Europe June and August. Right now, she seems more likely than Billie who doesn't seem to have anything announced yet in Europe.

Lana has no shows between middle of June till middle of August. So I doubt she will come. Billie Eilish has no shows, so it might seem unlikely but there are many rumours about a new album and european dates. Plus she missed Denmark on many occassions in the past, so it would be logical for her to come. 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, festivalguy97 said:

Update:

-Foo Fighters

-Doja Cat

-Smashing Pumpkins/Pulp

-Billie Eilish

Karol G is out because she announced only stadium tour dates in Europe. LCD Soundsystem could be a possibility for Syd for Solen. 

I would love love love Smashing Pumpkins / Pulp. Still my expectations are Doja Cat / SZA and if Billie Eilish ends up being around then Billie Eilish as well - Heck even Dua Lip or Lana. So many top female artists around, and these days I'm sure Roskilde would jump the chance to have a female overweight top line. They are already well under way with Kali Uchi's, PJ Harvey, Aurora. 

So actually I'm down to hoping for only one of Smashing/Pulp/LCD/Prodigy (or even Jungle/Janes Addiction), but I would gladly take more. 

Can't wait for the next announcement. Surprisingly many acts still not booked to any of the too many danish festival.

I don't really see Smashing Pumpkins as a Roskilde booking in 2024. Especially with the old-geezers-with-guitar-space already taken by Foo Fighters. They just seem way too past their prime, too much of a nostalgia act. But what do I know? Do the 20-somethings of today listen to Smashing Pumpkins?

They seem a better fit for Heartland, although they played there before.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, festivalguy97 said:

Update:

-Foo Fighters

-Doja Cat

-Smashing Pumpkins/Pulp

-Billie Eilish

I think you're right about Doja. She will perform at iDays festival in Milan on June 26th as well (confirmed a few minutes ago).

9 minutes ago, mortand said:

I don't really see Smashing Pumpkins as a Roskilde booking in 2024. Especially with the old-geezers-with-guitar-space already taken by Foo Fighters. They just seem way too past their prime, too much of a nostalgia act. But what do I know? Do the 20-somethings of today listen to Smashing Pumpkins?

They seem a better fit for Heartland, although they played there before.

True, but then what was the point of having Foo Fighters? As people mentioned, this year will be probably the year with the most female big artists, probably other 2 headliners are going to be pop singers like Doja Cat and Billie Eilish. So having Smashing Pumpkins would be logical. I can also see Pulp and LCD Soundsystem.

15 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

True, but then what was the point of having Foo Fighters? As people mentioned, this year will be probably the year with the most female big artists, probably other 2 headliners are going to be pop singers like Doja Cat and Billie Eilish. So having Smashing Pumpkins would be logical. I can also see Pulp and LCD Soundsystem.

The point of booking Foo Fighters is to appease the roaring hordes who want more rock music 😉 Besides, Foo Fighters did a critically acclaimed album in 2023, have a wonderful story of overcoming tragedy and Dave Grohl has that charisma and good-guy-vibe. I think they fit well as the big rock booking.

Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan have been a laughing stock in the cool music media for ages. They are not critically acclaimed anymore - just check sites like Pitchfork or Rate Your Music. They don't fit the 2020s narrative of activism. That might be completely unfair, but that's just how it is. Of course, if they end up being booked, I'll gladly take it back. Hey, I wouldn't even mind them. I was a huge fan in my younger days, but have barely listened to them in this millenium.

I think you're right about the remaining headliners being more in the vein of Doja Cat and Billie Eilish.

2 hours ago, mortand said:

The point of booking Foo Fighters is to appease the roaring hordes who want more rock music 😉 Besides, Foo Fighters did a critically acclaimed album in 2023, have a wonderful story of overcoming tragedy and Dave Grohl has that charisma and good-guy-vibe. I think they fit well as the big rock booking.

Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan have been a laughing stock in the cool music media for ages. They are not critically acclaimed anymore - just check sites like Pitchfork or Rate Your Music. They don't fit the 2020s narrative of activism. That might be completely unfair, but that's just how it is. Of course, if they end up being booked, I'll gladly take it back. Hey, I wouldn't even mind them. I was a huge fan in my younger days, but have barely listened to them in this millenium.

I think you're right about the remaining headliners being more in the vein of Doja Cat and Billie Eilish.

I do somewhat see your Smashing points but then again: Oceania, Monuments to an Elegy and Atum (most recent) did get over 6 on pitchfork, so not everything redeemed completely useless and I personally do listen to a couple of newer songs from them once in a while. Their 3 records (Siamese, Melancollie, Adore) are still absolute classics and have also recently been re reviewed on pitchfork getting 8,5; 9,1 and 9,3. Basically choosing Pulp over Smashing would be punishing one band for still making music. I also feel Smashing have had a somewhat unique influence on newer genres with their emo leaning rock - a direction Hip Hop have been going. And with the depressed youth I actually think it could be interesting for young people to discover a band like Smashing Pumpkins while appealing to an older crowd. 

Mainly though: I just can't believe no danish festival would book them (there's so many), and as of now the dates mainly line up towards Roskilde

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jonathansoegaard said:

I do somewhat see your Smashing points but then again: Oceania, Monuments to an Elegy and Atum (most recent) did get over 6 on pitchfork, so not everything redeemed completely useless and I personally do listen to a couple of newer songs from them once in a while. Their 3 records (Siamese, Melancollie, Adore) are still absolute classics and have also recently been re reviewed on pitchfork getting 8,5; 9,1 and 9,3. Basically choosing Pulp over Smashing would be punishing one band for still making music. I also feel Smashing have had a somewhat unique influence on newer genres with their emo leaning rock - a direction Hip Hop have been going. And with the depressed youth I actually think it could be interesting for young people to discover a band like Smashing Pumpkins while appealing to an older crowd. 

Mainly though: I just can't believe no danish festival would book them (there's so many), and as of now the dates mainly line up towards Roskilde

Very good points. Still find them a slightly off booking, but perhaps not that strange after all. Would definitely pull a decent, more mature rock audience. And the dates really fit - contrary to Northside, Heartland and Copenhell.

Pumpkins are definetly not headlining Roskilde anymore and probably would be going into the late afternoon legacy-rock act Arena slot that was taken by Queens Of The Stone Age, Robert Plant, Nine Inch Nails, Noel Gallagher, My Bloody Valentine in the last bunch of lineups.

Although, id prefer a solo Pumpkins show in Copenhagen instead; but that comes with the risk of them playing more material from their recent guff albums. 😄

Edited by FrogLobster

3 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Pumpkins are definetly not headlining Roskilde anymore and probably would be going into the late afternoon legacy-rock act Arena slot that was taken by Queens Of The Stone Age, Robert Plant, Nine Inch Nails, Noel Gallagher, My Bloody Valentine in the last bunch of lineups.

Although, id prefer a solo Pumpkins show in Copenhagen instead; but that comes with the risk of them playing more material from their recent guff albums. 😄

I just think a solo show would have been announced already. It is a little strange, because I would also say they would fit Heartland -> Northside -> solo show almost even Copenhell before Roskilde. 

Maybe they are just not coming to Denmark 😅

3 hours ago, jonathansoegaard said:

I just think a solo show would have been announced already. It is a little strange, because I would also say they would fit Heartland -> Northside -> solo show almost even Copenhell before Roskilde. 

Maybe they are just not coming to Denmark 😅

Billy Corgan is definetly alot more business & money focused in the last few years so wouldn't surprise me if he just sacked off Denmark if he can't see a return. 😄

16 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Billy Corgan is definetly alot more business & money focused in the last few years so wouldn't surprise me if he just sacked off Denmark if he can't see a return. 😄

Actually the first thing that makes sense 😅

Just saw Gucci Mane announced for Exit festival. I could easily see Roskilde going for him for a high Hip hop spot. Got fine reviews in 2017. Something for the young boys.

3 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Arcade Fire seem to be a frontrunner for a rock/indie spot. They are touring in July already are confirmed at Noe Alive and BBK in Spain. Can easily see them playing with either Pulp or Smashing Pumpkins.

Hmmm, love the band's entire back catalogue and they put on an energetic & very visual show but Win Butler got cancelled for some dodgy activities not long ago. Roskilde would still book them, though.

21 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Arcade Fire seem to be a frontrunner for a rock/indie spot. They are touring in July already are confirmed at Noe Alive and BBK in Spain. Can easily see them playing with either Pulp or Smashing Pumpkins.

Again? Oh no. They were tragically bad when they played last time. It might have been 2017.  I went to their concert with very high expectations and had only heard good things about their performances. 
I think they have even been named as one of the best live bands in the world? 
But no, it was terrible. Never again. I really hope they don't show up.

4 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Again? Oh no. They were tragically bad when they played last time. It might have been 2017.  I went to their concert with very high expectations and had only heard good things about their performances. 
I think they have even been named as one of the best live bands in the world? 
But no, it was terrible. Never again. I really hope they don't show up.

I actually saw them in 2017 and enjoyed a lot their concert. Was a big fan of them back in those times, but I think their new albums are terrible. Plus all the accusations against the main singer, I really hope they don’t book them. But right it’s the only thing that is possible to come, besides Pulp and Smashing Pumpkins. 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

I actually saw them in 2017 and enjoyed a lot their concert. Was a big fan of them back in those times, but I think their new albums are terrible. Plus all the accusations against the main singer, I really hope they don’t book them. But right it’s the only thing that is possible to come, besides Pulp and Smashing Pumpkins. 

Considering everything he is accused of, they should not be relevant at all. At least not in my book. It's not really something Roskilde supports and encourages. Just the opposite. 
I am absolutely convinced that it is possible to get a great lineup without Arcade Fire. 

Unfortunately, it looks like it will be another slightly bad year in 2024, considering that most festivals in Europe have difficulty getting really good lineups, as it looks right now. There are few, apart from 1-2 festivals, who have presented a good start to their lineup for 2024.